Chinooks are neat.

Spoke with a former Lt. Col and A-10 pilot in the Air Force today (an no, I don't consider him a friend). He says Army aviation is a joke and pilots should be recognized as "machine operators" instead of aviators. I wanted to tell him to "F-off", but I'd lose my civilian job.

I've been told that the Air Force is considered part of the US military. They march in formation and everything (except the officers).

• Like 8

Spoke with a former Lt. Col and A-10 pilot in the Air Force today (an no, I don't consider him a friend). He says Army aviation is a joke and pilots should be recognized as "machine operators" instead of aviators. I wanted to tell him to "F-off", but I'd lose my civilian job.

Guys like this are a rarity but they're out there. Just another FW pilot who doesn't realize the importance RW plays in today's battlefield. Ask him when the last time he was actually in harms way; actually being engaged by the enemy. Then tell him 70 & 2. 70 RW aircraft lost due to hostile fire while flying in OEF/OIF, to 2 FW aircraft. Army, Marine & Air Force helos are in harms way every flight they take. I always tell people, you have pilots who fly in a combat zone and then you have combat pilots. Two completely seperate things.

Anyone read Flying mag? In December's issue there's a story about an F-15E pilot's experience in OEF. Best part of the article is the description of an H-60 and an H-47 doing a resupply. Oh, how I hate ring routes :(. Anyway he describes how the helos take effective fire and amazed at how brave the pilots are. Good article if you get a chance to read it.

• Like 1

That's the Air Force attitude to pretty much anything that is not Air Force, they treat Navy and Marine Aviators with the same contempt.

I work directly with a retired Lt Col A-10/B-1 guy and we have nothing but the utmost respect for each other. In fact, he says he doesn't know how we do it knowing we will take fire and see resistance on a daily basis.

I loved working CAS with A-10 guys.

That guy is a one off douche who was probably stuck in TRADOC or Leavenworth.

• Like 1

19,200lb concrete block. Gross weight right at 50,000lbs.

Took 85% TQ to pick it up and fly it off.

What a beast.

This is ignorant, but how much of available power is 85% TQ? I ask because some twins I've flown were limited at less than 100% with all engines running.

And, from a "Slick Driver", to a "Bus Driver", just to keep it real: stong, yes; fast (unloaded) yes; but Hooks are still funny looking. Even when you come to get my busted Huey....