New minimum SIFT score

• 2 weeks later...

So I took the sift way before march 1. Unfortunely scored 49. But now I'm clear that I'm still able to submit a package. Currently I'm in the rotc going to Ldac this summer. But at Ldac only those cadets that scored 50 or more are going to take the flight physical at Ldac. Because I scored 49 the rotc scheduled me a flight physical and already passed.

If you are in the rotc And have the same problem. Do the Flight physical before arriving Ldac.

• Like 1

It looks like they will implement the min 50 score on or about 14 Mar, (After cutoff for May board).

Disclaimer-

(Just my educated guess, considering how the SIFT was initally implemented in regards to AFAST grandfathering a year ago.)

Here's an update on the SIFT, coming straight from USAREC (note dated March 4, 2014):

"The minimum requirement for the SIFT is still 40. There are discussions to raise it to 50 but it hasn't been approved yet and so it hasn't been posted to our website yet. If it does get approved then any applicant that took the SIFT prior to the implementation date will be grandfathered under the current requirement of 40 or better. A retest would not be required"

• 1 year later...

The 50 point minimum score only effected those cadets that were in ROTC or WP. The minimum was 50 to be able to schedule a Flight Physical at LDAC, you could still list Aviation as a Branch Choice if you received a 40 to 49 score but you had to schedule your own Flight Physical.

3 cadets at my son's school selected Aviation as there #1 choice, 2 out of the three scored above 50 the other had a 46. The cadet with the 46 was higher on the OML then the other two but was not given Aviation, the other two did receive Aviation. So while 50 may not have been the official minimum, it seems like it was part of the equation, at least for cadets.

The 50 point minimum score only effected those cadets that were in ROTC or WP. The minimum was 50 to be able to schedule a Flight Physical at LDAC, you could still list Aviation as a Branch Choice if you received a 40 to 49 score but you had to schedule your own Flight Physical.

3 cadets at my son's school selected Aviation as there #1 choice, 2 out of the three scored above 50 the other had a 46. The cadet with the 46 was higher on the OML then the other two but was not given Aviation, the other two did receive Aviation. So while 50 may not have been the official minimum, it seems like it was part of the equation, at least for cadets.

There are a number of factors that go into determining branch choice. Some high achieving cadets with stellar positions on the OML aren't going to get what they want. If that was the case, then you'd have a lot of high speed dudes branching infantry, aviation, armor, etc... and nothing but the "dregs" going into quartermaster, chem corps, etc...

I completely agree. I was just talking about the effect of the SIFT score. The cadet with the 46 that did not receive Aviation, received Infantry.

Good counseling by the PMS and the changes to the OML have made it possible for more cadets to receive the sought after branches. Getting rid of the "Dead Zone" was a big first step in that process. This year 94% of the cadets received one of their top three choices.