Commercial Rotor add on

McGavin

I'm not a CFI, but I was told that a commercial rated fixed-wing pilot can skip the private rotor add-on and obtain a commercial Rotor if he or she meets the flight experience requirements in rotor? It doesn't sound right to me, but I looked over the FARs and can't find anything that specifically states this is not allowed.

I heard this as well from a local flight school that does both fixed and rotor. I have my private fixed wing and they suggested I go this route. I would end up instrument and commercial dual rated with approx. 200 hours total, 100 helicopter.

Would I be employable? Even with CFI/CFII I'm still way under the requirements to teach in a robbie, right?

Edit: Sorry to hijack OP... Topic has been on my mind these last few days.

I heard this as well from a local flight school that does both fixed and rotor. I have my private fixed wing and they suggested I go this route. I would end up instrument and commercial dual rated with approx. 200 hours total, 100 helicopter.

Would I be employable? Even with CFI/CFII I'm still way under the requirements to teach in a robbie, right?

That would not be the recommended way of doing it in this day and age.

I did it exactly that way. Started giving tours a month after I got my commercial.

If you look at it like taking a calculated risk, then forget about it.

If you have the drive to make it happen its possible. It might cost you your home and a divorce but its possible. At least that was my experience.

What does that flight school say about you being employable? Would they hire you?

Would I be employable?

No.....

There's only one pilot certificate. If you hold a pilot certificate with commercial privileges in fixed or rotor, you can add on other category/class at the commercial level. Unless you have a desire to do private privileges with an add-on, you are not obligated to test to a lower level.

If you hold a commercial pilot certificate with airplane single-engine land category/class ratings, you can add on helicopter at the commercial level. If you do so, however, you won't be able to begin logging rotor PIC during your training, except for solo. If you have your private first, you can log all time as sole manipulator of the controls, during your subsequent training, as PIC.

Bear in mind that primary training isn't just about certification; it's the foundation of all subsequent flying, and the learning you do during this period will be central to all subsequent learning and understanding. Don't be in such a rush to get through it that you miss out on the fundamentals that you should be absorbing. Flight training is a learning process, not just a certification process.

• Like 4

Solo

I'm an idiot. I knew that, and couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

I went to post the applicable FARs last night, and why you would want to do private, then commercial (because of the pic time...) and then sat there staring at 61.129 wondering how you were supposed to meet the requirements...