Priced too high???

mtn_hunter

So I'm currently going back to school for my degree and stumbled across a company here in town that offers flight instruction. They are a great company with a spectacular reputation in the "touring" dept. I read over their info in regards to flight training and here is what I saw that caught my eye...

Part 135 operator

Fly the R44 Raven II

$480 per flight hour.

Now I'm still new to the price tag of things for rotor wing training but this seems like it may be a bit steep doesn't it? Also...does the part 135 option matter that much as well? TIA for any advice or info anyone can shed some light to me on this.

• Like 1

That is very low in regards to nation wide pricing for an R-44. If you take your training in an R-22 you can get that in the $260 hr area pretty easily.

• Like 1

I don't think it's "low"... average for training on an R44 I'd say. It's low for Part 135 in an R44. I wouldn't charge less then $800 for one doing charter or utility type work.

Edited by adam32
  • Like 1

$580 for a Raven I at my old flight school... Soooo glad I trained in 300's before they switched over. Otherwise I flat out wouldn't be a pilot right now. I know good guys sitting on $120,000 in debt. Ouch. Good luck!

$580 for a Raven I at my old flight school... Soooo glad I trained in 300's before they switched over. Otherwise I flat out wouldn't be a pilot right now. I know good guys sitting on $120,000 in debt. Ouch. Good luck!

Man, avaition really shocked me when I started learning about it as a career. A person spends $50-100k in order to secure a job that pays $18-30k a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, avaition really shocked me when I started learning about it as a career. A person spends $50-100k in order to secure a job that pays $18-30k a year.

For some, it is not really about the money but passion and love of flying.

For some, it is not really about the money but passion and love of flying.

The electricity and mortgage company couldn't care less about your passion and love of flying when you're getting tossed outta your house...lol

• Like 1