CFI PTS Change 2

See the link to the latest CFI Rotorcraft Helicopter PTS change released today.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-7B.pdf

Mike

Edited by Mikemv
  • Like 1

Well wasnt that officially noted in March?

No sir,

Compare the wording in change 1 and change 2.

There will also be a press release from the FAA communication office today or tomorrow about this with quotes from industry notables.

Mike

So CFI's are still doing touchdowns during their training, just no longer doing one on the test?

Of course they are still doing all of the same required training. That never changed but AOPA did put something on Facebook to the contrary.

If anyone actually read the PTS change 1, they knew this and did not go off on the FAA?

ASIs & DPEs can still require it on the practical test at their discretion even if an endorsement is made. The Touchdown endorsement is a risk mitigation tool for examiners to use if desired.

Well for what its worth, change 2 didnt tell me anything more or new than I was already aware of. In February I was made aware of the change taking place to that full extent. Maybe other sources just didnt have as much direct knowledge of the change.

I recall at Bristow, many moons ago, watching the FAA examiner observing the full down from the taxiway as the instructor and the pilot taking the ride did the maneuver. Not long after I left, one of Bristows DPE's suffered a pretty severe back injury from a full down gone bad.

As an operator that teaches CFI's, I like this rule! We had a cfi doing recurrent training last week on the left coast with a pilot that has done touchdowns in R22's since 1980. I have a fellow that teaches an R22 class for the last 20 years here on the right coast that I met doing boat photo years ago. We sometimes have examiners that don't have enough R22 time of even the minimum Frank Robinson suggests in is Pathfinder Insurance of 300 hours. Examiner could have 20,000 hours but when you are 20 feet above the runway in an R22 with the engine at idle its best to find the best. So, if you can do touchdowns with a guy that has been doing them since before you were born and you recognize that half of the fleet of some helicopters have been wrecked maybe you should leave it to the guys that the owner of the aircraft picks? Bravo.

I know this is just a CFI issue, but for what its worth those of us who don't become CFIs end up seeking out touchdown training,...and we generally seek out the old guys who've been doing them for years.

I picked the guy on the left coast.