Where to keep your pilot's certificate?

Astro

I know a number of guys who keep it in their flight bag.

One night after work you throw your flight bag in the trunk of your car and head home. Then the old lady calls and wants you to pick up some milk on your way. You stop at the kwiki mart, go inside, but when you come out, your car is gone! So now you have no certificate and cannot work tomorrow.

You keep it in your wallet.

One night after work again you find yourself at the kwiki mart. This time as you head back to your car you get mugged! Now no wallet, no certificate, and again you cannot work tomorrow.

So where is the best place to keep your cert?

• Like 1

Your wallet, on your person- wherever you are, there's your certificate.

Lost mine once (20 years ago) and got paperwork from the FAA overnight. The flight physical was another question, I ended up getting another physical instead of waiting for that bureaucracy.

I always keep it in my wallet, or on a neck lanyard with an ID when I'm required to wear one. If I'm being asked for the ID, I'm also being asked for the pilot certificate, so it makes sense to keep both together.

I usually keep my mechanic certificate in my tool box, but if I'm away, it goes in the wallet, too.

If I'm getting mugged, I may have bigger concerns than "if I work tomorrow." I'm looking forward to living tomorrow.

I can always get a temporary from the FAA and a replacement certificate.

My wallet usually isn't far from a concealed handgun, anyway.

• Like 1

Guest pokey

So they steal your wallet and get a handgun too - bonus!

It's a pop-gun, you know - they have a string and a cork on the other end. Mom gonna let him have a BB gun once he grows up.

I've had my logbook and headset stolen out of my truck before.

Even had my whole truck stolen a couple weeks ago actually, found it a few hours later missing my pistol, house keys and garage door opener.

I've had my logbook and headset stolen out of my truck before.

Even had my whole truck stolen a couple weeks ago actually, found it a few hours later missing my pistol, house keys and garage door opener.

Next time try keeping the pistol and the wallet on your person. Unless they steal you, you're probably far better off.

Next time try keeping the pistol and the wallet on your person. Unless they steal you, you're probably far better off.

I usually do...the truck was sitting in my driveway warming up, walked in to say bye to the girls and 3 minutes later I come out to a missing truck.

It's a pop-gun, you know - they have a string and a cork on the other end. Mom gonna let him have a BB gun once he grows up.

It's a Nintendo Duck hunt one from the NES days since he hasn't left the basement. Type rated in everything on Microsoft flight sim.

I never carried my certificate anywhere other than in my wallet, along with my medical certificate, driver's license, credit cards, etc.. You're supposed to have it on your person when you fly. If the feds ramp check you, they expect you to have them. If they get stolen, you can get a temporary replacement within hours. It's not unknown for people to show up for work and find they forgot their certificate. It's possible to get a temporary one in time to work.

I always gave the local ASI a hard time for NOT ramp checking me. One day he says "well its always the guilty ones that talk the most, hand on the wall."! I laughed and said nope...has to be on the ramp not in the hall and walked off..lol

I did see him ramp several people though over the years.

In 45 years of aviation, I was never ramp-checked. Has anybody on this forum had one? Or is it the Bogey-Man story?

Ramp checked numerous times doing 91, 121, 135, 137, 145, etc. A number of EASA ramp inspections in Europe, too. There's nothing "bogey man" about it; performing surveillance and inspections are part of an inspectors duties.

In 45 years of aviation, I was never ramp-checked. Has anybody on this forum had one? Or is it the Bogey-Man story?

Only a couple of times in 48 years. The mixed blessing in flying helicopters is you're usually not working around civilization (and ramps).

• Like 1

I keep mine in a leather Passport Wallet, with my Passport and other ID's that I need, or in my neck lanyard, Never lost one! But I also photo copy those and my medical and the last 5 pages of my log book and those stay in my safety deposit box along with the long books that have been filled up!

Ramp checked numerous times doing 91, 121, 135, 137, 145, etc. A number of EASA ramp inspections in Europe, too. There's nothing "bogey man" about it; performing surveillance and inspections are part of an inspectors duties.

Whooda thunk avbug has even been ramped checked more that anybody on the forum? They must have seen him land the 747 on that grass strip.

Edited by helonorth
  • Like 1

I know a number of guys who keep it in their flight bag.

One night after work you throw your flight bag in the trunk of your car and head home. Then the old lady calls and wants you to pick up some milk on your way. You stop at the kwiki mart, go inside, but when you come out, your car is gone! So now you have no certificate and cannot work tomorrow.

You keep it in your wallet.

One night after work again you find yourself at the kwiki mart. This time as you head back to your car you get mugged! Now no wallet, no certificate, and again you cannot work tomorrow.

So where is the best place to keep your cert?

You could apply this type of logic to any situation you throw out there as to where to keep it. There's always the chance it'll get lost, stolen, forgotten, etc., regardless of where you keep it. I'd vote for wallet as well, that's where mine is. How often do you go anywhere without your wallet?

Only when doing tours for a big event and the FAA had an LOA in place and I knew they were going to be there.....I knew the inspector by name, but seeing 3 of them waiting for me to shut down still put a lump in my throat. Never forget, when I asked him what he wanted to see, he said "everything" !

• Like 1

I have never been ramp checked but carry my certificate in my wallet. The medical is in the logbook which is in the flight bag. Photo copies and an number of electronic copies of the logbook are at home, in a couple of computers, and with a friend.

If any of this gets swiped, I have photo copies. Since I fly for fun, taking a few days to replace them wouldn't be an issue.

I too fly for fun, and therefore would also not be in a great hurry/need to get them replaced. I do however keep my license with my medical and a photo ID (in a secret compartment hidden in my underwear) as they are of no use without the other.

I only take my logbook with me in my flight bag when I go up with an instructor. Since I fly over water all the time, I'd hate to lose my logbook to a wet auto!

Only when doing tours for a big event and the FAA had an LOA in place and I knew they were going to be there.....I knew the inspector by name, but seeing 3 of them waiting for me to shut down still put a lump in my throat. Never forget, when I asked him what he wanted to see, he said "everything" !

Care to share how the rest of the experience went for those of us that have no idea what to expect?