Alouette Helicopters Declared Illegal Immigrants by the FAA

Hi BossMan

Glad things are going slightly better, hope it continues.

Just another thought If you told them that you were going to fly, and others have not, they should know or check to ascertain if other users are flying, as all\most must be flying without correct papers.

If they do nothing they are

1. Saying it is all right to fly the Alouettes.

2. Doing nothing they are compounding there error.

3. They should immediately issue notices to all registered owners, pointing out that they are in breach of the law if the fly them.

4. ARE the other owners Insured ? now that the FAA has said the machine is not approved, i would hazard a guess NO.

I would hate to be flying one especially in the US with litigation as it is.

Presume it is same as cars in respect of does it comply with law\regulations if not no insurance

Bossman, does this mean that there is no hope in your aircraft being able to fly again with a standard aw cert? Whats your next course of action with this?

Got into this topic a little late, but as usual (for us humans anyway) this whole situation has an easy fix that the FAA can do...It's called a "waiver." They do them all the time! Why the FAA is constantly trying to curtail aviation is beyond me! Their primary mission is safety and the promotion of aviation business.

I could see the FAA's reluctance if the alouette series was an unsafe aircraft, but as the decades have passed, this is not the case. A little on the ugly side, but man can they fly!

After constantly dealing with the loosers the FAA hires in the field, all I can say it hold your ground! Usually, someone with some sense will override the idiots' decision at the lower levels...not always, but usually.

john

Got into this topic a little late, but as usual (for us humans anyway) this whole situation has an easy fix that the FAA can do...It's called a "waiver." They do them all the time! Why the FAA is constantly trying to curtail aviation is beyond me! Their primary mission is safety and the promotion of aviation business.

I could see the FAA's reluctance if the alouette series was an unsafe aircraft, but as the decades have passed, this is not the case. A little on the ugly side, but man can they fly!

After constantly dealing with the loosers the FAA hires in the field, all I can say it hold your ground! Usually, someone with some sense will override the idiots' decision at the lower levels...not always, but usually.

john

John,

You know, we went into this thing thinking the same way. Now I'm not so sure that someone with some sense is even employed by the FAA. It has gotten so bad around here that all the certificated operators have turned in their 135, 133, etc. We are the only ones left with our 133 on the Huey. Yes, the Alouettes do have an excellant safety record, and I don't think they are ugly. If you think about it, there's not too many good looking helicopters. I'm kind of partial to the Huey, they pulled me out of a lot of sticky situations.

bossman

John,

You know, we went into this thing thinking the same way. Now I'm not so sure that someone with some sense is even employed by the FAA. It has gotten so bad around here that all the certificated operators have turned in their 135, 133, etc. We are the only ones left with our 133 on the Huey. Yes, the Alouettes do have an excellant safety record, and I don't think they are ugly. If you think about it, there's not too many good looking helicopters. I'm kind of partial to the Huey, they pulled me out of a lot of sticky situations.

bossman

Boss,

I know what you're going through. We've been doing helicopter rides all over the country for years at air shows, concerts, bike rally's (Sturgis, 4 Corners, Etc), parties, and open houses, to name a few. A few years ago, a young want-a-be cop faa guy (I'm a retired cop, so I know the type), shut us down at an air show for not having a drug program. This was 3 years before one was required for part 91 and part 119. The rockie faa inspector (Dale Shule) would have nothing of our pleas to fly. We had flown 4 helicopters and transported 20 personnel to the show. It cost us $20k in losses. It got so bad with our pleading, that he gave us a direct order not to fly or risk losing our certificates. We packed up and let. Tried to sue for lost revenue and got nowhere. His boss told us, "yes he was wrong, sue us."

Now to the present....

After thousands of rides, and after earning the FAA's trust, we started getting our own "box" at air shows. You know how difficult this is.... too many operators take their CFI's out and tried to do rides. They have no idea how to do them... Accidnets waiting to happen. It's an art form. Well, one faa guy got into an argument with my chief pilot and it went down hill from there..... Let's see, ramp check with full orals for all of the pilots, complete helicopter inpsections, maintenance inspections, etc....all while we were working an event... took over two hours! We finally "proved" we were competent and let fly.

He got a complaint from a citizen on the noise, and that we were dangerous. Now he really went after us as he had a complaintant... They crawled up ever orfice I had. This required a call to my AOPA attorney (thank god I paid the insurance)! Well, my chief pilot and I get a letter that the FAA was filing 9 violations and we could "send in" our licenses to make things easier and just a 6 month suspension. FU.

We fought them. Not that it was easy, but I'm not afraid of anyone. They tried all kinds of scare tatics and "possible" maintenace problems.... Wrong, I never skimp on maint.

Problem was, the idiot was applying airplane regs to a helicopter. Despite the fact that he claims to know how to fly helicopters.

This went all the way to washington and a five way conference call. After completely explaining how a helicoter flies and that I knew the performance and flight characteristics of a helo better than the FAA inspector, a few weeks later we got letters from Washington stating, "The FAA has decided it's not in the best interest of the federal government to proceed in the proposed enforcement action."

We won.

Long story, sorry...

Moral is that you can beat the FAA.

Good luck, John

Ok, I've come up with the solution after three months of reading this and shaking my head.

A. Go to Home Depot and pick up 4 illegal spanish speakers.

B. Load said individuals into Alouettes.

C. Fire up Alouettes and fly to Mexico..Aculupoco or Cozumel are particularly nice.

D. Bribe local goverment officials with 20 dollar bills and sick goats into building heliport on beach next to hotels

E. Train recently illegal spanish speakers to load rich non-spanish speaking tourists into helicopter (hilarity will ensue)

F. Advertise on VR for "Cheap Turbine Time In Paradise!"

G. Drink Margueritas and work on Tan during hotel changeover day.

In all seriousness, this situation screams politically motivated string pulling to me. Trivial for sure, but what politics arent?

Bossman, I'd suggest posting the names and phone numbers of your Senators and Representatives and strongly urging VR members to call...frequently. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt this will help but there is a Law Office in Boise Idaho where I used to live that specializes in lawsuits against government orginizations. Their name is Perkins Coie and they are a national company. Listed in their interests are Government Contracts and Government Relations. I used to date one of their lawyers and remember a case they were working on against NOAA. I can't imagine the cost of their services though. I'm sure great lawyers are on this already.

One thing very wrong with our government is that they rarely have to pay for their wrong doing but they seem to always make others pay the majority of the time. That seems a little off to me, what about leading by example. I like our government but am just pointing out a flaw that I'm sure everyone is aware of. The next thing that is wrong is that the FAA and the Judicial system, while not the same, share the very same roots.... they both live from the same water.

This could have a trickle-down effect on a lot of people in this industry. If this doesn't get fixed, (hope it does) I could see a lot of highly qualified pilots suddenly entering the market and looking for work. Bad news for a pilot with 750-1000 hours who is trying to get his first turbine job.

I wish the very best to everyone in this battle.

...and May the best civilians (Alhouette operators) win.

-SOK

I might also be up for "Cheap turbine time in paradise". :D

You may have to go to the Phillipines to ride the Alouettes. I think we may be sending them for a flight school we are starting in Manila. Got one over there already, getting the second ready to send. Not giving up the battle, just need to do something to generate some revenue with our lawn ornaments. Another example of our government helping to send business out of this country. The revolution is getting closer.

bossman

Careful BM homeland security are watching. :unsure: darn they are probably watching me now as well :ph34r:

Shame you cant influence the wage paid to these people, one downer is you are paying for both sides of the argument.

Hope the school in Manilla helps with revenue, perhaps the climate will appeal so much you will go permanently.

Has there been ANY movement from FAA, your representative, or any, legal eagles

Did you guys ever get an FH1100?

Still working on the financing for the FH1100. With the Alouettes down it's been hard to show positive cash flow for the bean counters. I think we are close to acquiring the needed financing. Still think the FH1100 will be a good ship for us. We keep plugging away. Just leased a B3 to help keep the pipeline contracts. Will not make much money, but we'll keep our contracts. Going into fire season, we'll be generating revenue with the Huey.

bossman

It might not be the best spent cash but how much would it be to get a second seat in a Huey for an hour of instruction? Can you even fly a Huey with a private? Not sure what the weight is. Probably over $1K/hr I imagine. That would be a great experience though. If you look at it like swapping 4 or so lessons for it then it still sounds like fun.

It might not be the best spent cash but how much would it be to get a second seat in a Huey for an hour of instruction? Can you even fly a Huey with a private? Not sure what the weight is. Probably over $1K/hr I imagine. That would be a great experience though. If you look at it like swapping 4 or so lessons for it then it still sounds like fun.

betr_thn_,

The Huey is in restricted category, essential crew only. We can give you training and put you on our crew list. This costs us about $1000.00 per hour. We are working on a 141 certificate for an external load school using the Huey for the medium range loads. The manual has been approved. We are waiting on a waiver to be able to use the Huey. Looks very promising. This should be good to go January of next year.

bossman

bossman- are the alouettes type cert in Canada? Seems to me, they would be great doing all the external load ops going on up there ? Easier to transport to Canada than put them on a ship.

Maybe the head of the FAA should be an elected postion ?? On second thought......

There is a Alouette II Helicopter, 3130SE on Ebay. Ebay Id search number: 330179156706

I'm not sure if the link will work but here goes: Ebay helicopter page

I was just wondering if this was a viable helicopter or a targeted helicopter (FAA Targeted) As the bottom of the page in fine print it has some misleading text I think. Not sure really, Bossman ?

~LD

There is a Alouette II Helicopter, 3130SE on Ebay. Ebay Id search number: 330179156706

I'm not sure if the link will work but here goes: Ebay helicopter page

I was just wondering if this was a viable helicopter or a targeted helicopter (FAA Targeted) As the bottom of the page in fine print it has some misleading text I think. Not sure really, Bossman ?

~LD

All Alouette helicopters are targeted. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bossman

bossman- are the alouettes type cert in Canada? Seems to me, they would be great doing all the external load ops going on up there ? Easier to transport to Canada than put them on a ship.

Maybe the head of the FAA should be an elected postion ?? On second thought......

The Alouettes would be great for Canada. Don't really know what problems would arise.

bossman

• 4 weeks later...

Bossman,

I wanted if anything is new yet on the old Alouette Front? I read that you got a Bell B3 or something along those lines and a FH-1100. SOundslike things are running again for you guys and am glad to hear it. Keep up the good work, and someday I would like to come out and fly with you guys!

Bossman,

I wanted if anything is new yet on the old Alouette Front? I read that you got a Bell B3 or something along those lines and a FH-1100. SOundslike things are running again for you guys and am glad to hear it. Keep up the good work, and someday I would like to come out and fly with you guys!

brushfire,

Letting the attorneys do their thing. They tell me that our lawsuit will be filed next week. They've been telling me this for several weeks now. They never seem to get the concept of hurry up. Yes, we have been trying to push forward. We have leased a Blll for the pipeline work. The FH1100 should be coming online next month. Been having a hard time getting the financing arranged with not much cash flow lately. We think that we've taken care of this. Thought we were going to have a big fire season, but it started raining about every 3 days. Good for the forests of WV, but doesn't help our cash flow. We just got approved for a 141 external load course using our UH-1B. This will allow us to use the Huey for real world long-line and bucket training. We are very excited about this course. Had to jump through a lot of hoops with the FAA to get approved. I hope you get the chance to come visit. Be glad to have you.

bossman

Bossman, I got into this topic late but caught up. Sorry to see what is happening to you and your company. It seems pretty clear that the FAA wants to get Alouettes off the registry and they are doing it in a very underhanded way. Good luck, and I hope you prevail, not only to maintain your livlihood and keep some very capable ships flying, but also out of principal. No matter how you cut it, they are just dead wrong on this issue.

Bossman, I got into this topic late but caught up. Sorry to see what is happening to you and your company. It seems pretty clear that the FAA wants to get Alouettes off the registry and they are doing it in a very underhanded way. Good luck, and I hope you prevail, not only to maintain your livlihood and keep some very capable ships flying, but also out of principal. No matter how you cut it, they are just dead wrong on this issue.

Thanks, we continue the fight.

bossman