JH reflects very badly on the helicopter industry

IMHO it is irresponsible to put up a forum that doesn't have moderation or any type of account confirmation (annonymous posting). Sites do this because these types of forums draw trolls and "pot stirrers" who's sole intention is to agitate and cause disruption and that creates traffic. In the case of JH there are no shortage of people with an axe to grind or who probably aren't even in the industry attempting to inflame their board while cowardly hiding behind an anonymous internet pseudonym.

I'm glad when I started on my Helo journey that I found this forum first and not JH. I followed a link to JH from here and was hugely dissappointed in what I found there. I hope that just helicopters is not heavily trafficed because it reflects poorly on the helicopter industry. To an outsider or new person coming in it makes the people in the industry look uneducated, vile and base.

I have programmed numerous websites and moderate a very busy official NFL team forum. IMHO JH is extremely unprofessional and a disservice to the industry.

I bookmarked JH when I came across it and deleted my bookmark after fifteen minutes of reading that forum.

Fiasco,

The JH "alternate" is more like VR. There are nice guys/gals there, too. I pretty much wrote the JH "original" off too.

JH "Alternate"

Yes I'm registered on the "alternate" board. Having the alternate board doesn't alleviate JH of their irresponsibility in running their open ended trollfest.

Yes I'm registered on the "alternate" board. Having the alternate board doesn't alleviate JH of their irresponsibility in running their open ended trollfest.

Fiasco, I assume you know that JH and VR are run by the same administrator now, and I believe he has stated they are two totally different sites serving different purposes. While I don't disagree with you, I wrote off JH the minute I found it, you should really just send him an email with your thoughts directly.

Goldy

I read it for the entertainment value.

Later

P.S. I have found it informative at times. Like the one thread, I forgot what it was about, but it had some good information about something. There are good threads there every once in a while.

Later

Edited by Witch

Fiasco,

The "Original" forum at JH is exactly what it was intended to be. It is, was, and always will be a rumor mill. It is, intentionally, a place where people can go to "stir the pot," without having to worry about a moderator coming along and snuffing out their raw opinion. Yes, some of the people who post there make the industry look bad, but they have that right, just as you have the right to post here how much you dislike JH. The difference here is that there are limits to what is permitted, those limits are quite broad, but they exist. Perhaps you should e-mail Lyn and discuss your disgust with him. Of course, if you want to post here that is also ok.

--PH

JH does it's job! does it well.

People that enjoy this board can in part, Thank JH, And all the wonders that lay open for them.

Keep them from exploring other sights.

When you can speak your mind and are there only to get your point across with out regard to what others think, Why leave to a closed board.

I go to JH every few months to see if it's any better, and forget it again. It's useless to me. I guess it serves a purpose, letting anonymous idiots rant, but I won't use it. I won't use the alternate site either, because of the regular one. But I wouldn't say it's irresponsible, just not what I would bother with. If this site becomes even close to what JH is, I'm gone.

I used to go to the JH website before there was an original or alternate forum. I tried reading the forum and it was hard to follow and there was bunch of ignorant people talking about stuff they obviously knew nothing about.

I recently started going back to that site and now read the alternate forum. There are alot of really nice people in there with good information. I don't even bother with the original anymore.

I do not think you can levy the bad reputation of the helicopter industry that JH reflects on the lack of moderation or owners.

It's the helicopter industry that posts there, that hold the reputation in their responses!

If you choose to hang out there then take it for what it's worth. Hang out here and enjoy the professionals and their opinions on what the industry is all about!

Bottom line.

It's not the street corner that you need to watch out for, but the people that hang out there!

The problem with the open JH forum being "open" is that how many of those people posted are even in the industry? How many are just there simply to cause trouble, make racist commentary and insult others strictly because they enjoy it?

It reminds me of "topix.com". Visit any of the automanufacturer forums and there are no shortage of pretenders doing everything they can to disrupt, insult, inflame and give a bad image of the industry.

I don't go to JH because the forum layout is too hard to follow for me, I have really only gone to the alternate because of what I've heard about the original., so I have never really experienced any of the garbage you all speak of, which I'm glad. If I were though it is the internet, just ignore it and move on if it gets you too boiled up.

If this site becomes even close to what JH is, I'm gone.

as long as I'm allowed to continue moderating this site THAT will not happen, and I'm sure Photoflyer will agree.

This site is and will continue to be a place where newbe's and veterans alike can come and exchange, CIVIL questions, opinions, ideas, and experiences in all efforts to promote the helicopter industry.

Edited by 67november

as long as I'm allowed to continue moderating this site THAT will not happen, and I'm sure Photoflyer will agree.

This site is and will continue to be a place where newbe's and veterans alike can come and exchange, CIVIL questions, opinions, ideas, and experiences in all efforts to promote the helicopter industry.

And thank you (and VR) for that. I'm one of those newbe's investigating the possibility of my career change being in helo aviation. Fortunately someone on one of my simulation forums (Warbirds) pointed me here and this was my first helicopter industry forum exposure.

I'm glad it wasn't JH.

• 1 month later...

hey, at least JH serves some purpose. I just started school a month ago, and if it hadn't been for JH, and all the ranting, I probably would have started at a certain large, now non-existant school here in my hometown of Sacramento. Because of all the ranting though, I chose a great school, albeit in the middle of nowhere, but my career is more secure, and I'm not out $70k :)

hey, at least JH serves some purpose. I just started school a month ago, and if it hadn't been for JH, and all the ranting, I probably would have started at a certain large, now non-existant school here in my hometown of Sacramento. Because of all the ranting though, I chose a great school, albeit in the middle of nowhere, but my career is more secure, and I'm not out $70k :)

ditto that, the message may have been cluttered up with cuss words and robbie ranger rants but most intelligent people can read between the lines and say "hey - sumthin' ain't not right with this business model...." kept me from looking any farther into a certain school as well.... whatever... I just looked at it like this - the kid taking a ride on the windscreen on the intro page should have been the first clue that the waters may be a little rough!!! :huh:

1. I don't think outsiders will judge our industry on one internet forum! - I certainly require more than that before I make a judgement on an industry, and yes, you get this kind of forum whatever the industry.

2. We all have a personal tolerance for self-expression and free speech. Most of us want freedom of speech, but don't like it when they hear it.

3. That being said, JH is not my cup of tea. I like things cordial and ordered. I forego a certain amount of freedom to have that - here. You can't have it completely both ways.

4. Maybe the only true reflection of what's going on, is when there is no regulation on what is said?

5. Hence the reason why I go in there, just to keep tabs on what is going on. Unfortunately, nothing has much changed since 2004 when I started going there!

Fiasco,

What I'm saying is that for every regulated / moderated board, you need the opposite. Otherwise, where is our balance....I guess its the Ying/Yang thing. You can choose in which you partake. I come here, Joe Bloggs goes there. It's not bringing me down, so I don't really get bothered. (As mentioned, sometimes it is entertainment.)

Joker

I've always benefitted from Joker's wisdom and hold a great deal of respect for him. But we have opposing thoughts on this subject. It's probably my age showing though.

People don't judge the entire industry on one forum, but it does leave an unfavorable impression.

Putting stuff like that out for public consumption and then saying "I'm perfectly within my rights" is paramount to the old phrase that just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Different strokes for different folks, y'all.

Just Helicopters is always entertaining. Sometimes there's useful and factual information on it. It's like any conversation with anybody- sometimes they're full of it. Talk to who you want, when you want, and use some judgement. Nobody makes you read Just Helicopters... Me, I read it often and post occasionally. I also read The Onion, The Economist, The NY Times, and lots of others- and I've never been confused as to what's what.

Relax, enjoy life- don't confuse the funny pages with real news, and vice versa.

Edited by Wally

I just saw this post as when this topic was going I was off line and moving. I am on both VR and JH but the JH "Alternate" forum is where you'll find me. I am not a big fan of the "Original" forum there as it really does bring out the worst in some. It however, as someone else pointed out, serves it's purpose and does it well. The "Alternate" forum has a lot of pilots with varied background just as we do here on VR. Don't write off JH, spend some time over in the "Alternate" forum. I truly think if you wan't a real representation of our industry then you don't have to look any farther than the VR or JH "Alternate" forums. It is sad, as with ANY industry there are always those bad apples.

P.S.: There is one thing I like about the "Original" forum. That is that if something happens in the industry it's there the second it happens. Almost real time over there.

JD