Need a Flight Hour Package

I want to graduate from a flight school, but I don't want to become a flight trainer. So Is there some kind of package i could get that let's me fly 8-900 hours at a discount rate? I know it's gonig to be expensive, but that's the price i'm willing to pay.

I'm sure many flight schools would love to sell you 800-900 hours. Even at a discounted rate its going to cost you a lot. Being a CFI I get a discounted rate of $185 per hour. For me to fly 800 hours that would be $148K. I think I'll stick with instructing.

uuh..you REALLY want to fly 900 hours in an R22 or a 300 ? You could definitely get a reduced rate, but there is not a lot of room for schools to move. Leasebacks on an R22 are around $100 an hour, the school then gets to pay for fuel, hangar, rent, maintenance, insurance, inspections, etc with all the money left over. You will probably pay $200 for a 22, and around $225-$245 for a 300 or 47.

PM me if you have questions. Goldy

You'll need a minimum of 1000 hours PIC time if you want to work in the industry as a commerical pilot. There are some exceptions but those are harder to find.

If you want to time build and not instruct(it's not for everyone) then I would look into buying a helicopter that has about that much time left on it until overhaul. It would be cheaper that way I would think rather than a "discounted" rate from a flight school. If you do that, I would bring an instructor up with you every so offten to review with you.

Something else to look at is Lyn (VR Owner) has a time building oportunity in an instrument R-44. I doubt you would be able to go solo but you would learn a lot from flying with him.

As another poster pointed out, you can also look at BoatPix.

I truly feel though you would be missing out on a lot. As a CFI you learn so much more than as a student.

As the old saying goes, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it. :)

If you can afford to simply buy 1,000 hours of time, you don't need to change careers, rather just buy a helicopter and go have fun with it. Or better yet, start a company and do your own commercial jobs.

Flying around all that time while not doing anything won't improve your skills, there is more to this than just hours in a logbook.

As the old saying goes, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it. :)

If you can afford to simply buy 1,000 hours of time, you don't need to change careers, rather just buy a helicopter and go have fun with it. Or better yet, start a company and do your own commercial jobs.

Flying around all that time while not doing anything won't improve your skills, there is more to this than just hours in a logbook.

Well I've always wanted to fly. I'm still a young guy. The type of work that got me all my money is a tad bit dangerous :) ( and so is flying, yes i know; but trust me.. you guys got it made with your job) so i'm looking to follow my dream now that i'm able to.

What type of helicopter can i buy and work for myself? What type of work is available for me?

Just because I asked how much it would cost doesn't mean I can't afford it. A wise man always prepares.

Edited by r8z^

The cheapest I've heard of is boatpix at around $100/hour. www.boatpix.com I think.

You'll learn alot more as an instructor and be more employable in the long run.

I've heard of boatpix, but I think to get time at 100 an hour, you have to work for them. And I think the work is seasonal. I need to buy a heli or find a good discounted-time building program.. something to build my hours as quick as possible.

And yes, instructing probably does make one a better pilot; I just don't have the desire to do so. And if the majority of pilots didn't have to instruct to build 1000+ hours... then i highly doubt they would become an instructor.

Military pilots don't instruct after training.. and they are very good pilots. I'll just be sure to attend a top notch school and get the best training possible.

I've heard of boatpix, but I think to get time at 100 an hour, you have to work for them. And I think the work is seasonal. I need to buy a heli or find a good discounted-time building program.. something to build my hours as quick as possible.

And yes, instructing probably does make one a better pilot; I just don't have the desire to do so. And if the majority of pilots didn't have to instruct to build 1000+ hours... then i highly doubt they would become an instructor.

Military pilots don't instruct after training.. and they are very good pilots. I'll just be sure to attend a top notch school and get the best training possible.

When I talked with the guys at boatpix, it is $100/hr plus fuel. Which at that time ran 45 to 50/hr. Not as good a deal. There are some not as expensive helicopters out there right now. If you do it right you should be able to build up your time to a hire able point and the helicopter should be worth about what you paid for it. Depending on what the component times are. However, being a CFI is a good experience for you. Just the training itself, will make you a better pilot. Full down autos, the teaching of the maneuvers helps you become more aware of and sharpen your skills.

I know, broken record, as a CFI you'll be a better pilot. Ok, that's it.

Now, if you were to buy a helicopter, how much money do you want to spend?? :>)

I would go with something like a 300CBi. It has a heavier rotor system than an R-22, good crash protection vs. the R-22. Not as sporty or fast but a safer helicopter for the new pilot. If you want to spend a little more the R-44 would be a good choice too. Nice aircraft to fly.

I assume you don't have your ratings yet? As a 200 hour commerical pilot with your own helicopter, the jobs would be far and few inbetween. The insurance would be high. You may be able to make a few dollars doing some tour flights or photo flights. At best these things would help keep the dent in your pocketbook smaller.

I know, broken record, as a CFI you'll be a better pilot. Ok, that's it.

Now, if you were to buy a helicopter, how much money do you want to spend?? :>)

I would go with something like a 300CBi. It has a heavier rotor system than an R-22, good crash protection vs. the R-22. Not as sporty or fast but a safer helicopter for the new pilot. If you want to spend a little more the R-44 would be a good choice too. Nice aircraft to fly.

I assume you don't have your ratings yet? As a 200 hour commerical pilot with your own helicopter, the jobs would be far and few in between. The insurance would be high. You may be able to make a few dollars doing some tour flights or photo flights. At best these things would help keep the dent in your pocketbook smaller.

I can guarantee the insurance will be high. With a commercial, watch out as your insurance may limit what you can do. My policy doesn't allow instruction and allows only personal and business use. So rides and the like are out. Coverage to allow that is much more expensive. As for lesser expensive helicopters, watch out for Robinson bargains, all the ones I have seen are run out or very close to it and are still ridiculessly priced. As for the story, that you can get an experimental airworthiness for a runout Robinson and run beyond the life limits is total BS.

As for what to purchase. Personally, I looked at the 300B and older 300C's, Enstroms and Bell 47's. The 47 can be a maintenance pig if you get the wrong one. Plus financing can be an issue, mostly due to age. I went with an Enstrom F-28C for several reasons. I found one that had reasonable times and gave me a good value for money. Enstroms have an excellent safety record and have only about 12 life limit parts. That helps keep the cost down. It all comes down to what you like, are comfortable with and can afford.

Good luck and have fun.

We operate an F-28C, and I can tell you from personal experience that it is an excellent aircraft for the personal helicopter owner. You can do all the CFI work you want in it, but it also is very adequate as a commercial ship. Turbocharged Enstroms are great for doing rides, even on hot days.

If you want to build your hours quickly and you are not worried about money, then the way to go would definitely be buying your own ship.

I can think of a few places that would not think highly of hiring someone who got 800 hrs just punching holes. So, depending on where you want to work, you might reconsider.

Military pilots can many times be used as instructors (IP's) and who is to say that they are all great?

Once again, when you are done at Rucker, you have about 200 hours....I've heared of pilots in the military with under 2000 hours after 10 years of service. Not exactly a time building opportunity.

If you want to build your hours quickly and you are not worried about money, then the way to go would definitely be buying your own ship.

I can think of a few places that would not think highly of hiring someone who got 800 hrs just punching holes. So, depending on where you want to work, you might reconsider.

Military pilots can many times be used as instructors (IP's) and who is to say that they are all great?

Once again, when you are done at Rucker, you have about 200 hours....I've heared of pilots in the military with under 2000 hours after 10 years of service. Not exactly a time building opportunity.

What about something like a Helicycle to build hours?

What about something like a Helicycle to build hours?

Cant think of too many 135 operators that use the Helicycle..my opinion...waste of time.

I would find a good flight school and talk to the owner. Maybe you could purchase the same type of aircraft they fly and let the school lease it from you when not in use. Then you can recoup some of your expenses. I don't know how do'able that is, but it might be worth investigating.

Edited by fast03cobra