• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#21 Vixandra

Vixandra

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:49

Would like to review my school but it is not listed, I attend Silver State Helos in Pueblo Co.

Hi all!

I'm looking at the Silverstate School in Chino. How are you liking SSH's program so far?
Have to wait for them to get 141 status (so I can use my GI bill) but can't find anyone who's gone through them before.
  • Isosseannouth likes this

#22 Dimond

Dimond

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 22:16

Hello everyone,

I am new to this piloting world. ;) I have always wanted to get into piloting, specifically with Helicopters. I have no experience at all with piloting. I was talking with someone today and they recommending this site for information. I have found that there is a lot of information here just like I was told. I see that people are giving their evalations's of the different flight schools.

I was told by this person that there was a good flight school here in Boise Idaho called ASU Inc. I was wondering if anyone had heard of them and if so, what were your impressions?

I have been in the computer field since 1993 and I am ready for a career change and this is the one thing that I have always wanted to do. I am eager to get into commercial piloting and know that it is a long road to achieve, therefore I am trying to make sure that I do find the best schools in my area.

Please let me know if you have heard anything about this school..

Thank you.

#23 bananaface

bananaface

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 15:54

Does anyone have any good recommendations in the NY/NJ area? I did my intro flight at Pegasus Flight in Linden, NJ but can't seem to find much information about it. I'm looking to obtain my commercial pilot's license so want to go to a reputable school. Any suggestions would be most appreciated !

#24 smartymarty

smartymarty

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 18:34

I am a student at Silver State Helicopters. Despite the anti-big business nonsense you find on this forum (which is mainly related to financing), SSH is a great school. My instructors are knowledgeable and helpful, the staff is friendly, and I fly plenty. I can't think of anyone I know at the school who thinks otherwise. The distance learning program is incredibly helpful since I work a full time job. And if I transfer to some other city for my job (which is very likely soon), there's probably another SSH school nearby (especially in California, where I might go, maybe, we'll see).

#25 nodriskol

nodriskol

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 13:15

Marty

I'm with ssh and it's been good so far. I do have a few questions I want to PM to you. I hope you can help me.

#26 heloskypilot

heloskypilot

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 20:22

Great school here in Chico California.Dedicated to the student , flexible and knowledgeable.

#27 Icarus

Icarus

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 21:36

I didn't want to pony-up the $70K all up front to attend SSH in San Diego, so I fly at Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad, CA. So far, so good with cost & availability of R22's. The only hurdle I've had thus far is the weather. I chose to begin flight training in San Diego's "rain" season, which meant that my first 7 hours or so were all hover work on the compass rose. No visibility to do anything else. Very harrowing for a rookie! Located at Palomar Airport, they are well positioned for either a coastal departure to buzz the surfers or terrain manuvers out toward Ramona. It doesn't take long to get to where you have wide open space to open up and explore your bird. Aside from busy fixed wing traffic, I am digging it. I seem to be a magnet for citation pilots who like to turn on the pad and wash out my hover. Civic has an honest program with friendly instructors who love what they do. That's all you need.
Until we actually evolve wings of our own, Man shall forever be only students of flight.

#28 ToTall

ToTall

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 18:37

Post removed

Edited by ToTall, 16 December 2008 - 20:57.

#29 FA Soldier

FA Soldier

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:25

Does anyone have any good recommendations in the NY/NJ area? I did my intro flight at Pegasus Flight in Linden, NJ but can't seem to find much information about it. I'm looking to obtain my commercial pilot's license so want to go to a reputable school. Any suggestions would be most appreciated !

I went to Pegasus Flight this past Sunday and they were closed. I did stop by Liberty Helicopter who are located a few hangars down, and they told me that Pegasus Flight was known to lead their students on by stating that the student is not prepared to fly solo and must purchase more flight time and the student never gets to solo. They recommended nassau helicopters in Princeton, NJ. I like you was looking for a school closeby (I live in Staten Island, NY) and would rather travel a little bit just to go to a more reputable school. Hope this helps. Good luck.

#30 Kelly N.

Kelly N.

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Hockey (Go Stars!!!), Telecom/Computer Networking (work in the industry and have for going on 15 years).<br /><br />Starting my training to be a commercial helicopter pilot. I know I won't get rich or likely make what I do now, but have wanted to fly helicopters since I was a kid. Finally time to do it.
  • Company working for:Voice/Video/Data Networking vendor (think really big).

Posted 27 December 2007 - 14:50

Has anyone gone throught the Silver State Helicopter school in Raleigh, NC? From what I have seen so far, there are two schools in the area (NC Rotor and Wing up in Louisburg and SSH in Raleigh). Any reviews for either school or suggestions for additional/alternative schools in the area are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly

#31 Kelly N.

Kelly N.

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Hockey (Go Stars!!!), Telecom/Computer Networking (work in the industry and have for going on 15 years).<br /><br />Starting my training to be a commercial helicopter pilot. I know I won't get rich or likely make what I do now, but have wanted to fly helicopters since I was a kid. Finally time to do it.
  • Company working for:Voice/Video/Data Networking vendor (think really big).

Posted 28 December 2007 - 16:00

Has anyone gone throught the Silver State Helicopter school in Raleigh, NC? From what I have seen so far, there are two schools in the area (NC Rotor and Wing up in Louisburg and SSH in Raleigh). Any reviews for either school or suggestions for additional/alternative schools in the area are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly

O.k. Did a little research of my own and (through this forum and others) found some disturbing info about a class action suit pending against SSH in Mesa, AZ. If you search on "Silver State" and "class action suit" you should find several articles that explain details.

This was only the Mesa location that I saw had an issue.

Kelly

#32 SquirrelFlight

SquirrelFlight

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Beer, computers, cooking, photography, hiking, swords, FLYING - helicopter and fixed-wing
  • Company working for:Student at Quantum Helicopters

Posted 08 January 2008 - 14:29

I originally looked into SSH in Mesa, AZ, but their financing company was not able to handle the fact the I already had outstanding student loans from my college days. So, I went in search of another school and found Quantum Helicopters (www.quantumhelicopters.com) in Chandler, AZ. They have multiple student funding companies and I was able to get the financing I needed. I'm about 15 hours into my program and couldn't be happier.... well, at least I will be once I manage to work the last couple of kinks out of my hovering... :-)
No matter where you go, there you are

#33 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 00:48

I originally looked into SSH in Mesa, AZ, but their financing company was not able to handle the fact the I already had outstanding student loans from my college days. So, I went in search of another school and found Quantum Helicopters (www.quantumhelicopters.com) in Chandler, AZ. They have multiple student funding companies and I was able to get the financing I needed. I'm about 15 hours into my program and couldn't be happier.... well, at least I will be once I manage to work the last couple of kinks out of my hovering... :-)

THE ONLY SCHOOL that I could find that met my criteria was a school that would guarantee me a job. I only found one with the balls to put it in writing. I was looking for a school that also operates helicopters on contracts such that I kew they would be there to offer me a job once my money ran out. www.HelicopterAcademy.com is the only school that guarantees a job. They have 13 helicopters, are an RHC Service Center with three full time mechanics and one instructor for each helicopter. New York, Maryland, North Carolina, Florida, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Long Beach and Portland are places they can teach you. I went through the program several years ago and found impeccable maintenance, sensible management and just like it says on the website that once you hit 300 hours of time built with HelicopterAcademy they will give you a job and they had me pretrained for the position. I made it to 1,000 hours within 365 days of arriving and had a blast doing it. There is also a program if you transer from another school with a private license. Check it out! Best School BAR NONE to train you to a guaranteed position and they train you with dignity in a one on one environment like you are part of the team. It worked well for me and all the students before and after that I came in contact with.

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#34 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 00:51

I went to Pegasus Flight this past Sunday and they were closed. I did stop by Liberty Helicopter who are located a few hangars down, and they told me that Pegasus Flight was known to lead their students on by stating that the student is not prepared to fly solo and must purchase more flight time and the student never gets to solo. They recommended nassau helicopters in Princeton, NJ. I like you was looking for a school closeby (I live in Staten Island, NY) and would rather travel a little bit just to go to a more reputable school. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Check out CFI Chez Fogel who flies from Caldwell, Westchester and Republic you can get his number at http://www.helicopte...act/contact.htm He's quite a well like and seasoned helicopter pilot that went through the school of hard knocks so you don't have to. I've flown with him a lot over the last two years and he's GREAT!

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#35 Pitch Pitch Pull!

Pitch Pitch Pull!

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:28

I would like to add Universal Academy in El Monte,CA to the list of schools reviewed. I am currently attending this school and have had very good results from the one on one training. I got off to a slow start due to scheduling conflicts between my work schedule and the CFIs and the weather was no help in late September. Enough with the excuses and off we go. I am up to a paltry eleven hours but have been able to get a handle of hovering to the point that I can taxi and take off. This was through the efforts of good instructors. I hope to accomplish my pvt by the end of February at the latest. Then its on to the Comm. portion of the training.
I hope to keep posting good news in the days and weeks to come.

JFS

#36 Voyager11

Voyager11

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Apparently it is training and studying. I really don't have much time for anything else.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 23:41

How do you add you school if it is not listed. I have a great school that needs to be added.

#37 huns

huns

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 17:16

does anyone know anything about california aviation? the offer a job instructing right out of the program

thanks

#38 Gozer8

Gozer8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 16:03

Seriously looking into Bristow Academy (Titusville) due to my close proximity. Already took a tour and all that jazz. Just wondering if there are any Bristow Academy grads (Professional Pilot course) from the Titusville location on the forum, with any incite/opinions about their experience in Titusville?

Thanks a ton!

#39 jmerryman

jmerryman

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Turning money into altitude
  • Company working for:Startup tech company

Posted 04 May 2008 - 13:35

Not sure who you spoke with at Liberty, but I got my rating from Pegasus this past summer (end of August '07) and soloed at just over the minimum SFAR-73 hours (I think it was 22 or 23 hours - and some of that was waiting on the wind to calm down to RHC limits for solo). I got my rating at just over 50h total rotor time. My instructor Marcus (who, unfortunately, went back to Germany) was fantastic.

The negative thing I can think of is that they only had one ship running (722pg) - the other one (116pg) was timed out and they didn't seem to be intent on fixing it. I wouldn't give them money in advance (like ANY flight school, who knows about their financial situation), but my experience was good. Of course with another instructor, YMMV, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to steer clear based on my experiences.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Pegasus.

John

#40 Parafiddle

Parafiddle

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:37

Anyone out there have any experience with Northern Skies Aviation in Laurel, MT? I'm considering doing my RW add-on ratings with them at some point in the future and they offer Part 141 training so I can use my GI Bill. Also, they have mountains available for training in and since I can't seem to find a Part 141 school in Colorado where I live, I figured they'd be a good option. Also, I lived in Missoula, MT for 8 years (a long time ago), so I'm kind of partial to MT as a back-up state for doing training. Any thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200GuidanceVRFTForum200Hillsboro2014_200VRFTRorumPrecision_FTForum200VOLO_VRFT200702HeliVRFT200UNDVRFTForum200JerryTrimbleAnthelion_VRFTForum200