Flight School Reviews

I'm still in the military but, I am having a hard time finding schools that will take the post 9/11 gi bill. I read there has to be a college attached to the school or vice versa in order for the gi bill to work for them (excepth the 60% from the old gi bill).

I have found a couple ( like vertex i think) schools that take the post 9/11 gi bill but where else is there in texas and california? Oh and currently I live in Oak harbor washington but i plan on moving to one of those states.

Thanks,

Curtis

Hey WTF,

I have seen there websites but the best one in that area is www.heliplaneaviation.com They are based in Anderson and are top notch. Check them out and ask for James or Scott.

Hey Trans Lift

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of them. They're quite a drive from Orangeburg but I will check them out.

WTF

Hey WTF,

I have seen there websites but the best one in that area is www.heliplaneaviation.com They are based in Anderson and are top notch. Check them out and ask for James or Scott.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for Information on Specialized Helicopters in Watsonville CA.

I did most of my training at Mauna Loa But I'm looking for a cheaper place to live in work. Im just looking for Information on how often they hire and how good the school is in general.

Thanks

I got off the phone with FIT yesterday and had a good talk with their helo program rep. I am torn between embry riddle prescott and FIT. what i like more about FIT is that you actually get some turbine time in their bell 206, whereas embry riddle only has piston helos. FIT also offers a few advanced classes like external load, mountain flying, and turbine transition. location wise, i would rather be in arizona than florida, but i like the way FIT's program sounds so far. I am gonna have to take a trip to both campuses to judge for myself. This is a pretty big decision, however i am gonna be utilizing my post 9/11 GI bill, so basically not only will school be free but i really wont have to work more than a bullshit part time job with zero responsibility because my rent will be paid by uncle sam.

anyone attended or attending either program right now? i would love to hear anyones input. thanks

chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All!

I am am trying to find the most inexpensive way to get from private pilot to CFII. I was about to get a loan from Sallie Mae which I can still do but after I found out what the monthly payments would be, I am trying to find a different avenue. Many people have said to go o a school that partners with a college. Does anyone know of any schools in the Orlando, FL area? If anyone does, it would be greatly appreciated to hear from you. Thank you and God Bless!

• 2 weeks later...
I am am trying to find the most inexpensive way to get from private pilot to CFII. I was about to get a loan from Sallie Mae which I can still do but after I found out what the monthly payments would be, I am trying to find a different avenue.

There isn't a cheap way. Going to a school that partners with a college only makes it easier to get loans or funding. You still have to pay for flight school and at least 180 hours or so. The only cheap way I know of is the military but you pay that back in other ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I thought I should follow up. I decided to go with Pee Dee. It's a small operation but Hemming the instructor so far has been a real good guy to deal with. The other students I have spoken to have also been pleased with him. I'd recommend them for sure.

I got to fly an R44 Raven today. What a huge step up from a 22. I was pretty shocked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got off the phone with FIT yesterday and had a good talk with their helo program rep. I am torn between embry riddle prescott and FIT. what i like more about FIT is that you actually get some turbine time in their bell 206, whereas embry riddle only has piston helos. FIT also offers a few advanced classes like external load, mountain flying, and turbine transition. location wise, i would rather be in arizona than florida, but i like the way FIT's program sounds so far. I am gonna have to take a trip to both campuses to judge for myself. This is a pretty big decision, however i am gonna be utilizing my post 9/11 GI bill, so basically not only will school be free but i really wont have to work more than a bullshit part time job with zero responsibility because my rent will be paid by uncle sam.

anyone attended or attending either program right now? i would love to hear anyones input. thanks

chris

Chris,

I'm going to jump right in with an educated opinion on your situation. First off, contrary to what the schools may be telling you, your GI benefits only come into play after you have acquired your private rating on your own (as far as paying for flight time is concerned). Second, take it from someone who you don't know that turbine transition classes, mountain and sling load courses are ways for schools to add up the tach time. Do you learn something? Of course you do. Will it help you get a job outside the world of flight instruction in the beginning? The reality is, no. Operators who are looking for turbine time are looking for the experience that turbine pilots have acquired, not the fact that you started one five times. Sling loading and mountain flying are pretty much the same situation. This industry, unfortunately, is a real chicken or the egg situation. Almost every commercial operator wants what you don't have until you get lucky and someone decides to take a chance on you. It has been my observation that the way to separate yourself in this world regardless of your goals is by being the most professional, hard working guy in every room you walk into. As you probably have already discovered in life, people hire individuals, the skills are a given and the various "specialties" mentioned above will be taught to you in the manner in which your first employer wants it done. Sorry if I was a bit long winded but a clear understanding of these realities paired with a strong work ethic will help you to achieve all of your goals, no matter what they may be.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I received my ATP from Hampton Roads Helicopters (HRH inc) at KPVG. Excellent staff and instructors. Well worth a long commute to receive training from these folks. Aircraft were well taken care of.

Conversely, I had bad experiences with Chesapeake Bay Helicopters (CBH) out of KPVG; After agreeing to take me in as a student preparing for the ATP, my instructor left town for one month for a power line mission in Texas (BTW he didn't even give me courtesy call to say he was leaving). This happened after one flight in the 300CBI. When he returned, I received one more prep flight before being told CBH was ending the flight school (i.e., no more checkride prep for me there)--about 600 dollars wasted.

Since I had significant 206 time, I thought an ATP checkride in that might be more cost effective. I called American Helicopters in Manassas Va; BIG MISTAKE. I told the chief instructor over the phone my intent to conduct about two-to-three flights in the 206 prior to a checkride in the bird. She agreed it was a good idea so I set up hotel, called the examiner and set everything up. When I arrived in Manassas after a 4 hour drive, I was asked for a deposit for 10 hours in the 206; THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED OVER THE PHONE NOR DELINIATED ON THE WEBSITE.

The owner said he was going to repay my mileage (although half the rate of what the government even says is fair---then he blew me off (stopped returning my phone calls and answering my emails). I'll call it a loss in order not to deal with those dilettantes.

I'm sure there may be some strong opinions about this but CBH and AH just seemed to be doing business unethically. From where I come from you just don't treat people like that.

• Like 1

I am wrapping up my flight training at a school in Missoula MT called Montana Aero. Flying an Enstrom F-28C.. I picked this school for a few reasons..

It's not a large school so I get a lot of individualized instruction. Also I didn't want to learn in an R22 (for good reason).. It sets you apart from all the newbie R22 grads. The Enstrom is larger than an R22, also is not a correlated ship, meaning you learn throttle control right off the bat, which was invaluable to me.

I believe the FAA requires 200 hrs minimum to instruct in an R22... In this helicopter I only need 150. From what I've seen in most schools that saves me close to $20,000. I will have my commercial and CFI for right around $53,000..

Also It's located in western Montana. The mountain flying is also invaluable. I've been working with the owner for just over 6 months, super solid guy. My instructor was probably the #1 reason I chose this school.

They also have a Bell Jet Ranger, which I plan to get my turbine transition in. Around $8,000. So even with my turbine transition I come in way under most schools tuition.

The school has its own heliport located within Missoula's class D airspace. Class D is nice because your not so overwhelmed with your calls, but you still get the practice needed.

I definitely understand being far from home, I'm from TN. But learning in the flatland is not the smartest decision. If your gonna spend the money do it right. I moved here in August and absolutely love this city.. Long winters but the summer makes up for it 10 fold.

Let Me know if you'd like to get in touch with this school. Definitely some things to think about.. Picking the right school is tough. I feel lucky to have found a good one. Hope it helps.. Good Luck!

does anyone know which school is covered by post 911 gi bill and has the most turbine time?

Why do you think you need turbine time at this point? Most of the jobs requiring turbine time want around 1000 hr give or take. You aren't going to get that going for any rating. And if you find a way to talk them into that tell me the secret, not that I want to milk them, I just want my pro pilot degree and CFII. Step back and look at what is happening, they are making cuts already. If they see they are paying $150,000 to one school and $60,000 to another, who do think they will stop funding first? Or they could see that ridiculous amount of $ going out and look at the program as a whole, and shut all funding down.

I suggest sticking with what makes a difference and saving some of the pot for our brothers in arms that are dreaming of the day they can use these benefits. Let the tours or gulf industries pay the bill for turbine hrs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations for a good school to get my private and slowly work my way up at a decent price.

I would like to start asap but feel so lost in the search for a good training facility.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a good school to get my private and slowly work my way up at a decent price.

I would like to start asap but feel so lost in the search for a good training facility.

We'd like to throw our hat into the mix here...

Vertex Helicopters will offer you a fair price structure with professional training using Scenario Based Training in all of our programs.

Please feel free to give us a call to check out our prices and to get a feel for our staff. We highly encourage everyone to make an educated decision when it comes to helicopter flight training. You need to check out as many schools as you can and go with the one that offers the best training benefits for your future endeavors.

While we take training VERY seriously, and all of our programs are VERY structured, we still have ALOT of fun while training!

Here's a link to our recent YouTube promo video on our YouTube channel!

Vertex Helicopters "Rise Above The Rest" HD Promo Video

Good luck on your flight training choices!!

- Mike from Vertex

• 2 weeks later...

Please feel free to share your Flight Training experience with other aspiring pilots who are researching the helicopter industry. You may post your reviews/experiences in this thread or start a new thread of your own.

As this particular forum grows it will become a very valuable knowledge base which will be searchable by visitors in need of real information.

- Lyn

I just finished my ATP training and passed my check ride at Longhorn helicopters in Denton Texas. The owners and staff are great people with great attitudes. The Schweizer 300C helicopters are well maintained with great IFR instruments! The location at Denton municipal airport is excellent with clear blue skies most of the time. Everyone made me feel right at home, I highly recommend them!