FAA Written frustrations

Ok I'm dying here..

Am I just retarded or what?

I see so many people passing the written, but I've been beating this horse for a long time now.

I use danasoft groundschool prep to study for the exam, but dont really feel like I'm making much progress.. I'm worried I maybe over complicating matters or just totally stupid on the way I'm going about studying.

I dont have much for an attention span, so i'm not real good with sitting down and reading/studying that way.

how did you study? books? read specific areas over and over? software?

I've recently heard about weekend crash courses, so I've been looking into those.. but the only one I can find is in baltimore but not until late Sept!

aviationseminars.com

not to mention finding a place that supports heli study, too many boring plane classes.. not many heli classes

So if you know of any other companies that are in the DC area (light travel is fine) I'm fully willing to try that, I'm ok with the cost.. just want to be DONE with it.

I'm very close to wrapping up the flying requirements, so need to finish up the written so I can move forward.

Edited by Vassago

I did the aviaiton seminars and failed my first private test. The instructor was a mess. I would avoid those weekend crash corses like the plauge. I bought the King Schools DVDs and got an excellent score the second time. The king schools DVDs are a little childish but they keep you interested if for no other reason than the corny jokes. But they work. Who are you doing your training with? I'm in the DC area as well. I might be able to help.

I used a computer based learning program, and basically just broke each test into sections. I did all the weather questions one day, all the navigation questions the next day, and so on. Once I'd gone through all of the possible questions I did practice tests until I was scoring 90s or better on average. I did this for my private, instrument, commercial, foi and cfi tests. It is time consuming, but it works.

I used a computer based learning program, and basically just broke each test into sections. I did all the weather questions one day, all the navigation questions the next day, and so on. Once I'd gone through all of the possible questions I did practice tests until I was scoring 90s or better on average. I did this for my private, instrument, commercial, foi and cfi tests. It is time consuming, but it works.

This works. Going at it by testing area allows you to figure out what your weaknesses are. It is tedious though. Also, not familiar with your test prep, but a good one should have good explanations for the correct (and hopefully, the incorrect) answers...the books I've seen suck: essentially saying that "Answer A is correct because answer A is correct". Dauntless-soft offers a better alternative, and the package that will get you through CFII is ~$100. You can save questions that you have trouble with and go back to focus on them.

The wrong way to do this is to just jump in and start taking a bunch of practice tests, especially if you don't have the time or attention span to do a whole one or focus. Your scores will vary from satisfactory to awful, and you'll get demoralized easily. It happened to me, and I've seen it happen to other high-achievers.

With the knowledge tests, remember that they are a different beast and you have to study to pass them. I think you can know what you need to know to pass a check ride and still do poorly on your written. Schedule the test to give yourself a long weekend to study for it. Relax, do it slow and methodically, without the pressure of performing on practice tests, and then go take it.

This comes up quite a bit so don't feel alone out there.

The FAA written test can make the smartest person look dumb.

The easiest way is the DVD's from King with the Computerized Exam Review (as they call it). The ASA computer study exams are even better for the tests, as they have the exact same look as the FAA test are currently using. But the King courses let you understand the material in a fun way and that's what's important (you have an oral afterall coming up).

When you already know the material, AND ONLY WHEN YOU KNOW THE MATERIAL, here's a simple way to "ACE" your tests...

Review the questions, yes all 1500 + of them, over and over again. Do it until you can get through them without missing a single question. You'll be a "speed tester" when done for sure! You get used to looking for only the correct answer in each question. Don't bother with the other answers. Blurr them out. When you see the question, look for only the correct answer. Your looking for a "sight picture." This is rote memory and doesn't last long, but will make you score really well in the tests. This should only take a couple of days if you have the time...Then without stopping, take the FAA test without distractions.

I did my CFI in under 9 minutes flat, and FOI in 6 minutes. 98% on both. Bastards threw in a couple of new questions, which they do now and again, and screwed up my system!

Good luck!

Use the ASA software. Take the exams for the certificate or rating you are trying to get. Then go back over the ones you got wrong and read every explanation. Some of the airplane questions you can just memorize, but it is usually a good idea to really learn about the helicopter questions you get wrong. Just do 1 or 2 practice exams everyday until you get an acceptable grade everyday then go take the test. The questions on the practice exam are exactly the same ones on the actual written.

I felt that I did pretty poorly during my private, scoring in the mid-80's, so I really buckled down for the rest of my tests. I did much better, with all of my scores in the 90's.

The system I settled on was somewhat like Boatfixerguys in a few ways.

First I did 2-3 tests prior to really starting to review it, and I then see how I scored on each individual section.

Then I reviewed each question on the test, followed by taking a test. I would do that a few times, and again review how I did on each section.

By then I had a decent idea of the areas I was having a hard time with, and would study those specific sections, and do quizzes on those subjects.

After that I would go back to doing full practice tests, and evaluate my results again.

Once I was satisfied, I would take the FAA test. Just prior, I would do one long study session of all the questions, and one short practice quiz to boost my confidence.

Seemed to work for me, and my scores improved a lot by doing that.

Use the ASA software. Take the exams for the certificate or rating you are trying to get. Then go back over the ones you got wrong and read every explanation. Some of the airplane questions you can just memorize, but it is usually a good idea to really learn about the helicopter questions you get wrong. Just do 1 or 2 practice exams everyday until you get an acceptable grade everyday then go take the test. The questions on the practice exam are exactly the same ones on the actual written.

Said it before, but I'll continue to highly recommend ASA. Duplicates the actual test and questions, works PC and Mac and is easy to navigate. The software also has a pretty good study section to review each subject area....condensed into what you need to know for the written questions and more comprehensive than the book version. I did the same as Slick (practice tests until scoring in the 90's for 2 days) over a 2-3wk time period....scored 90-100 on PPL thru CFII.

Easiest way, and one that won't cost you a dime extra than what you spent on the ASA Test Prep book (which you should definitely get at the beginning of each phase of training) is this...

1. Study in test prep book, mark off questions that you get correct and circle ones you miss. When you come back through the book ignore questions you got right (within reason, you obviously already know them but a little review here and there won't hurt). Mainly use the book for the explanations they give for each question.

2. webexams.com - Learn to love it, it is absolutely free and you can do practice tests for any FAA written test. You can take subject specific tests, or take tests pulled from a random pool of questions specific to whatever rating/cert you are pursuing. It allows you to take timed/untimed tests up to 100 questions, and you can elect to see the correct answer after every question, (so you know where you are deficient, you can copy/paste the questions you get wrong, and look them up in the test prep or print them out and take them in to your instructor to go over. It's honestly the easiest way to get ready for the test, its what I am going to recommend to my students and now my CFII is doing the same to his lol.

I am the worst "book learning" person in the world :rolleyes: , and what I did for my PPL and CPL writtens was spend 3-5 days at home in my off time, working the test prep book, and taking test after test after test on webexams. I only did 2 or 3 ground school blocks of 2 hours each for written review, and I waited till I was getting ~95% per webexams test to take the official FAA written, and got a 93% on PPL and a 97% on CPL.

Like the commercial says, "If he can do it..."

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Biggest piece of advice is to relax!!

Heya

I am HORRIBLE at written tests and government tests make me cry. I took a week off of my work, and basically became dead to the world. I took my ASA prep book, and went online and did the free test online for a week non stop. I forced myself to do nothing but that. Turned off my phone and everything and just ironed it to my brain.

I was doing the sitting down to study, and then getting distracted and doing something else thing. I took the test and passed it the first time a week before my final cross country which then was followed by my checkride.

Sometimes, it just takes turning everything off and doing NOTHING but eating, drinking and living the material to get it. Atleast, that's what I did. I loved the ASA however.

Just remember. Once you pass it, it's done. So it might take you buckling down and just stop looking for a quick way or easy way. Just have to do it. And if you have questions, call your instructor. I actually had my instructor come over to my house a few times and sit down with me to go over some of the things I was confused about. He was more than happy to do it (i'm sure not all instructors would be ok with it!)

Said it before, but I'll continue to highly recommend ASA. Duplicates the actual test and questions, works PC and Mac and is easy to navigate. The software also has a pretty good study section to review each subject area....condensed into what you need to know for the written questions and more comprehensive than the book version. I did the same as Slick (practice tests until scoring in the 90's for 2 days) over a 2-3wk time period....scored 90-100 on PPL thru CFII.

Same with me, ASA prepware is a must. It's the same questions as on the real FAA written test so there's no surprises when you go in to take the real test. Prepware is a guarantee pass if you take the time to study... Scored 90-100 on PPL thru CFI.

Ok I'm dying here..

Am I just retarded or what?

Yes,

Ok now that we got past that, I am surprised that no one has mentioned http://www.mywrittenexam.com . I used it all the time and then self studied on those areas where I sucked.

You have to use a computer simulated test, whether its this one or ASA, or King. Something that lists the actual questions, because there are several that are trick, double negatives, and a couple that just make no sense at all. You need exposure to those stupid questions before you take the exam.

Good Luck,

Goldy

Yes,

Ok now that we got past that, I am surprised that no one has mentioned http://www.mywrittenexam.com . I used it all the time and then self studied on those areas where I sucked.

I used this one too. It was really slow, but they sent you the answers that you got wrong in an email (the actual questions and answers), so just print those out every time and keep them in a notebook for extra studying. Some questions I messed up 3 or 4 times but after enough tests you will have a nice little copy of what you need to study extra.

Unlike Boatfixerguy I still did better on my exams when I took the test slowly and really worked through the longer problems twice. But the best thing no matter how you do it is to take lots and lots of practice tests.

Good luck! (and eat a good breakfast)

HVG

I used the computerized ASA also. Take one section at a time and save your incorrect answers so you can study them seperately from the rest of the section. Run through those several times and then save the ones you are still having trouble with until you get down to only a few problem questions and then move on to the next section.

Some of the longer sections took 2 nights of studing to get though but you should be able to be ready to test in a week. Just before taking the test I reviewed only the questions I saved as problems and I always got 90s on my tests.

Jerry

I disagree about mywrittenexam website. I used it for a while during my private, however I found a number of questions on the website will say you give an incorrect answer, when in fact it was correct, and the other question they say was right is wrong.

Me, too... That website is junk.

Just read the test prep book cover to cover a couple times and memorize the answers to the questions. I didn't look at the written as an educational experience, more as a test of word association and memorization. Get it out of the way and then move on.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I currently use the dauntless ground school for test prep, but I'm also going to try the ASA.

I've been going through all of the courses in bulk on every test exam, and that hasn't been working for me.

So now I'm going to drill by category and mark all the questions I get wrong..

I never was good at studying and its been a few years since college so gotta remember how to do this study thing :)

just memorize answers B)

it will make your test go by quick too....i scored in the 90s for my commercial test and finished it in 10 minutes.

go through the book [i used ASA] and before reading any questions just highlight the answers so when you do go back and read them, you will only have read it with the right answer.

I used the King DVDs in preparation for my private written. They like to tell a lot of corny little jokes but they tell you everything you need to know for your written. Then I kept taking the their computerized practice tests till I got a 100% and then I aced the actual written.

I used ASA for my A&P certificate. They have an excellant prep course as well.

:D

I just completed my ATP, and I found the Dauntless system in much less expensive than the King. Indeed, I purchased both, oh well.

One purchase gets you the online study for all the various study packages in that level of testing (ie: private gets you the software for airplane, rotor, lightsport, etc.)

Try this link: http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/Gro...ool/private.asp

Do as those posted above have suggested. There is no way to get something done other than attacking the problem. In today's society, we have made compensation for those who do not pay attention by calling it a disability, ADHD, etc. This task requires the desire and discipline to conquor the problem. No excuses, no shortcuts, just do the work and reap the reward.

This is not an attack on you, but it was not easy for anyone. Don't feel sorry for yourself, get mad and get it done.

;)