Should I re-write my essay?

My recruiter told me that I had to write an essay about why I want to be an Army Aviator. So I went ahead and wrote one, but now when I read it, it sounds more like I wrote about why I would make a good Army Aviator, not WHY I want to be one. It wasn't my intention at all to sound cocky, but I wanted to prove to the board that I have the necessary skill and aptitude.

Is the essay supposed to SPECIFICALLY about my desires to become a pilot? Or am I supposed to be making a point of why they should choose me? Or maybe a combo of both? My recruiter wasn't really sure, so that's why I'm asking here, I value everyone's opinion on here. I really don't want to write an essay that sounds like every other kid applying straight out of high school; "Oh I've known I wanted to be a pilot ever since I was a little kid. And I used to play with RC helicopters all the time and I used to play flight simulator all the time." Of course I've known I wanted to be a pilot forever, but how many essays do they read that sound exactly like that?

What do you think?

I would e-mail this first essay I've written to some folks on here and see what you think about it, but would that be against the rules? I've read on a post (right before posting this one) that you can't receive any help other than a dictionary. I'm not asking for help writing it though, just guidance for the topic.

Thanks a lot.

David

(WOFT packet about 50% done, 141 GT 99th percentile, haven't taken the AFAST or 1A phys. yet, 52 hours in a fixed wing with my private license.)

My recruiter told me that I had to write an essay about why I want to be an Army Aviator. So I went ahead and wrote one, but now when I read it, it sounds more like I wrote about why I would make a good Army Aviator, not WHY I want to be one. ...

You just answered your own question. Its your essay and all you have to do is answer the question. "Why do I want to become a US army aviator?"

Its your essay...write how your moved to write it. you have to look intrinsically and decide the answer to that question. What your good at and what you want to become aren't always the same (although they can be).

Good luck.

AviatorQ

Fort Rucker, AL

KIOWA WARRIOR

SCOUTS OUT

<_< Well, I guess it doesn't matter for now, I literally JUST got a call from my recruiter saying that WOFT is closed for now. I suppose the army is doing well and they're full. Anyone know how long this may last? Does this happen often? I really had my heart set on this, I'm very disappointed. </3

<_ well i guess it doesn matter for now literally just got a call from my recruiter saying that woft is closed now. suppose the army doing and they full. anyone know how long this may last does happen often really had heart set on very disappointed.>

Um, what?

....$^&*@#

EDIT: Trying to get a hold of my recruiter to see if he knows anything about this, so far no luck. Will post here when I talk to him.

Thanks Lindsey. Yeah, please keep us all updated, I know there's a couple other folks on here too looking to get into this as of now. My recruiter didn't seem to know much about it. He said he was talking to another recruiter peer about me and that person said they got an e-mail 2 days ago saying the category was closed. I know that's not a lot of info, but he called me as soon as he found out, and said he didn't know how long it usually lasts.

David,

Sorry to hear about the WOFT, my advise would be to go ahead and write the essay and just keep pushing forward refusing to give up... They are looking for leaders not followers... worst case is you go to community college for two years and then reapply since they prefer two years of college anyway... Plus during that time you could also start taking lessons and secure your private rating which will give you an advantage... The point is, if you really want it, you've got a choice either sit around hoping your dream might one day happen or keep pushing forward doing whatever it takes to make it happen... I know right now you feel like your dream is impossible because of what a local recruiter told you, but you have a lot of options other then enlisting and hoping for a warrant officer slot... So start working on that essay and keep rewriting it until you've got something your proud of and then submit it the minute they are accepting applications...

<_ well i guess it doesn matter for now literally just got a call from my recruiter saying that woft is closed now. suppose the army doing and they full. anyone know how long this may last does happen often really had heart set on very disappointed.>

Helistar, you're exactly right. lol thanks, I needed a little slap on the face to snap out of my initial surprise. I'll just take a few more college courses while I'm waiting around, and pick up some more credits. I've already taken the Air Traffic Control Class at the community college, I'll do Meteorology or something. I'd like to work on my Instrument rating, but money is kind of limiting that right now. But hey, this will give me some more time to make some better contacts, get in better shape, get some better Letters of Recommendation and have an overall better packet. I WILL PREVAIL! B)

Helistar, you're exactly right. lol thanks, I needed a little slap on the face to snap out of my initial surprise. I'll just take a few more college courses while I'm waiting around, and pick up some more credits. I've already taken the Air Traffic Control Class at the community college, I'll do Meteorology or something. I'd like to work on my Instrument rating, but money is kind of limiting that right now. But hey, this will give me some more time to make some better contacts, get in better shape, get some better Letters of Recommendation and have an overall better packet. I WILL PREVAIL! B)

Hell yeah! That's exactly the attitude we've got to have right now - just look at this as another opportunity to improve and put forth the best packets we possibly can!! Hooah :D

<_< Well, I guess it doesn't matter for now, I literally JUST got a call from my recruiter saying that WOFT is closed for now. I suppose the army is doing well and they're full. Anyone know how long this may last? Does this happen often? I really had my heart set on this, I'm very disappointed. </3

Not to question the credibility or competency of your recruiter but I would be hard pressed to think that they would just shut down the WOFT program or put a freeze on it. Have you tried to match his or her story with other sources?

BTW the USAREC Warrant Recruiting website says nothing in regards to this....

Cliff

Edited by Marine4WOFT

Not to question the credibility or competency of your recruiter but I would be hard pressed to think that they would just shut down the WOFT program or put a freeze on it. Have you tried to match his or her story with other sources?

BTW the USAREC Warrant Recruiting website says nothing in regards to this....

Cliff

Is it possible that WOFT hasnt been frozen, but maybe they stopped taking civilian applicants? If thats the case, then I wont be too happy.

Marine4WOFT, thats exactly what I tried to do. I sent an email to wo-team@usarec.army.mil yesterday around 3pm, asking to clarify the whole situation. That's the email for "questions or comments", on the USAREC warrant officer recruiting website. It's the weekend so I may not get a response for a little while. This whole situation is weird. I know you, me, Lindsey and several other people on here are counting on this program so I'll make sure to post whatever I get back from them immediately when I get it.

Marine4WOFT, thats exactly what I tried to do. I sent an email to wo-team@usarec.army.mil yesterday around 3pm, asking to clarify the whole situation. That's the email for "questions or comments", on the USAREC warrant officer recruiting website. It's the weekend so I may not get a response for a little while. This whole situation is weird. I know you, me, Lindsey and several other people on here are counting on this program so I'll make sure to post whatever I get back from them immediately when I get it.

Alright, sounds good!

Awesome, that was a great idea! It's not only the weekend, though, it's a holiday weekend, so it may be awhile, but at least its something. My recruiter hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm going to try calling him again on Tuesday. Hopefully we can figure it out. It's odd that (so far) we haven't seen anything about it elsewhere - I peruse other military forums such as forums.goarmy.com and military.com, and there has been nothing said about this possible temporary halt on WOFT. That said, it looks like the military in general has been doing a little bit *too* well in its recruiting efforts, as there is a HUGE backlog for OCS (they are reverting back to the old procedure of having OCS applicants screened through USAREC for the final step), and there are rumors of some MEPS stations temporarily stopping processing (saw this on an AF website, so not sure if that is for MEPS in general or just for the AF). Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if this WOFT halt is true. It's a bummer, but no use getting all worked up about it yet - after all, it's still unconfirmed. There is nothing wrong with discussing rumors, as long as we are all acutely aware that they are just that: rumors.

Let us know if/when you get a response from USAREC.

hey lindsey and marine 4 woft,

USAREC hasn't emailed me back yet. I talked to my recruiter yesterday, but he doesn't know much. He tells me he assumes it isn't opening until the end of this fiscal year is over (ends in September). But honestly, he doesn't really know, so I'm waiting for a definite answer from USAREC, and you guys will get info as soon as I do. And please keep me in the loop if you guys hear anything either.

Dave

Edited by IjustWant2fly

THIS IS NOT TRUE - THEY ARE STILL ACCEPTING WOFT PACKETS.

Warrant Officer Recruiting (OFFICIAL) has a facebook page where you can ask them questions, and they confirmed that this is not the case, and that they are still indeed proceeding as "normal."

HOOAH! :D :D :D

Oh, also, zVo shared this fantastic LINK with me today, that I think everyone should look at; it's quite motivating! The important part:

Rotary-Wing Aircraft

The FY 2010 enacted budget included additional funds to boost Army helicopter pilot training capacity and improve survivability. The FY 2011 request sustains

the FY 2010 increase and seeks an additional $65 million to train 1,500 new pilots per year by FY 2012.

Warrant Officer Recruiting (OFFICIAL) has a facebook page where you can ask them questions, and they confirmed that this is not the case, and that they are still indeed proceeding as "normal."

Oh, also, zVo shared this fantastic LINK with me today, that I think everyone should look at; it's quite motivating! The important part:

Great news...what a relief.

Outstanding

This just made my WEEK. I feel awful springing this false alarm on all of you. Thanks lindsey. USAREC still hasn't emailed me back after two emails, maybe they don't use that email address anymore. I don't know. Best of luck to everyone on here!

Edited by IjustWant2fly

This just made my WEEK. I feel awful springing this false alarm on all of you, but my recruiter is going to have some explaining to do tomorrow to say the least. Thanks lindsey. USAREC still hasn't emailed me back after two emails, maybe they don't use that email address anymore. I don't know. Best of luck to everyone on here!

Don't feel awful!! It was good actually, I think, because it only further motivated us! Think of it as a bonding experience :P