Warrant Officer acceptance concern

Hello everyone,

I was speaking with my recruiter today when another recruiter mentioned that because I have no prior flight hours I am not likely to be accepted to WOCS because of other applicants with time in the air. Other than that part of my packet I am pretty well qualified. I was wondering if anyone else had any info about how much pull flight hours comes into play when the board is looking over your packet? He then proceeded to try to sell me OCS, so that may have been his angle, but I'm not sure...any thoughts?

• Like 1

Well, the old adage is "you never know until you try."

The woft packet is long and complicated, and many recruiters don't want to do it.

I have flight time. Many selects do. Not all of them though.

You get one chance at life.

If you are looking to fly in the Army, definitely go Warrant. Warrant officers fly first. That is their job. Regular commissioned officers act as leaders first, that is their job. Flying is second. And a majority of the time, they only fly their minimums. You will enjoy the warrant officer life a lot more :) You get away with a lot more crap :P

You DO NOT need any prior flight time but going down to your local flight school and putting in some time couldn't hurt. Also taking, and passing, the PPL written test shows commitment

This is exactly what I am planning on doing. I have 3.8 RW hours, 1.4 FW hours. Nothing grand, and I don't have enough money to afford a whole PPL either going Rotary Wing *or* Fixed Wing, so I'm going to pick up some RW flight time slowly, and take the PPL Written test. The above poster is right - times are tough, I'm sure the board will (at least I hope) understand that not everyone can afford flight training in this economy. Especially now that companies like Sallie Mae aren't really giving out loans anymore.

The amount of people in each WOCS/IERW class that actually have flight time is relatively low. I'd say 10-20% on average. I wouldn't get too concerned about having it. I'd continue on as you are, and not let your recruiter sell you on OCS. Unfortunately recruiters are quite ignorant when it comes to WOFT.

Thanks for the advice. Prior to hearing that I was under the assumption that the Army WOFT program was catered to the individual with no flight time, but getting at least a few hours of classroom in to show commitment and boost my packet would help. I definitely would rather spend my time in the air than behind a desk.

In my opinion, that is just one way that the recruiter will attempt to get you to enlist instead of going straight to WOCS.

7 at my board, and I was the only one with any flight time. All are now WO's...

In my opinion, that is just one way that the recruiter will attempt to get you to enlist instead of going straight to WOCS.

7 at my board, and I was the only one with any flight time. All are now WO's...

Speaking of which, does anyone know how many aviator slots are alloted to street-to-seat applicants each month for this fiscal year? The DoD budget is calling for a huge increase in training of pilots and aircrews (with obviously so many being divided among warrant officers and commissioned officers, and then those slots distributed amongst West Point grads, ROTC, OCS, and Army + civilian WOCS/WOFT), but I'm not sure how that translates into real world selection numbers; I'm just trying to get an idea of how competitive it is.

One unofficial source claimed there are only 145 slots for civilian applicants this year, but that seems low considering what's in the budget. Also, I'm not sure if it was signed by the Army G1 yet, but they're signing legislation to change selection rates from 60% active duty, 40% civilian to 50/50 (source: http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/04/16/37488-chief-warrant-officer-csm-speak-to-aviation-branch-on-top-issues/ ).

Edited by zVo

I was one of twelve selected in Jan, and Dec had twelve selects as well. Good luck with your endevor.

akscott60, I'm guessing that those 12 seats filled were all civilian applicants, no? Thank you; it's certainly competitive right now.

akscott60, I'm guessing that those 12 seats filled were all civilian applicants, no? Thank you; it's certainly competitive right now.

I happen to know someone who is on the DA selection board, its factual rumor that the Army is moving to a 60/40% selection split. 60% of WOFT students will come from civilian and 40 from inside the Army. This will only help your chances, but I agree with the other experienced WO's that it never hurts to try. My WOCS class is split down the middle, half have flight time, most of us had fixed wing time...it doesnt take much just show initiative. Apply, and present yourself as professional, mature, fit, and dont stretch truth about "my dream is to..." Just be you.

Well hopefully they move to 60 percent civilian by the time I apply, I've heard a lot about it being really competitive right now. Anyone have any suggestions for recommendation letter sources? Being a civilian, I don't really know many people in the military and my college sources are quite a stretch. I've got a few, but am having trouble coming up with a really solid source.

I had LORs from one of my HS teachers, my CFI, and my boss at work.

Ditto, my letters were from my CFI, Army WO Ret., and my current boss at that time, as well as two personal friends who I had also worked/gone to school with for a number of years. The one thing that might tip the scale, the Army Officers letter, especially if they know you personally. Hope that helps...

• 1 month later...

I just submitted my packet that will go in the september board. I am also a civilian with no flight experience. I scored 121 gt on the asvab, 147 afast, passed the pt test with a 273 and was just recommended by the board of officers with a 73/75. I had LOR's from a retired CW4, retired major, and my employer. I'm 26 years old with a clean record and have held a steady job since graduating high school. Anyone have an idea on my chances? I have some time to try and log some training sessions for ppl if i need to since my board date is not until september.

I just submitted my packet that will go in the september board. I am also a civilian with no flight experience. I scored 121 gt on the asvab, 147 afast, passed the pt test with a 273 and was just recommended by the board of officers with a 73/75. I had LOR's from a retired CW4, retired major, and my employer. I'm 26 years old with a clean record and have held a steady job since graduating high school. Anyone have an idea on my chances? I have some time to try and log some training sessions for ppl if i need to since my board date is not until september.

Congrats on submitting your packet! Why is your board date not until September? Did you miss the August cutoff? I was under the impression that civilian WOFT boards were held every month.

Congrats on submitting your packet! Why is your board date not until September? Did you miss the August cutoff? I was under the impression that civilian WOFT boards were held every month.

I was just basing that off of the warrant officer recruiting site that showed that they held a board every other month.

I believe they only hold board meetings every other month according to their website and they have one in july which i didn't get my packet done in time for so the next one should be in september.

Their website is aimed at active-duty folks who are applying to be Warrant Officers. They hold selection boards every other month for them. However, for civilians applying for WOFT, they are held every month. You will find many instances on this forum of people getting selected in months that don't follow that chart on the Warrant Officer Recruiting website.

Unless, of course, this has again changed.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I was speaking with my recruiter today when another recruiter mentioned that because I have no prior flight hours I am not likely to be accepted to WOCS because of other applicants with time in the air. Other than that part of my packet I am pretty well qualified. I was wondering if anyone else had any info about how much pull flight hours comes into play when the board is looking over your packet? He then proceeded to try to sell me OCS, so that may have been his angle, but I'm not sure...any thoughts?

Well the way it was explained to me is you need to be very competitive don't get all caught up in what everybody say's you need to have the best pt,asvab and afast scores you can achieve i mean every day till your packet is complete then find yourself a cw3 or above that you can help and get to know for a personal letter of recommendation this isn't a must have but it does look like you have went well out of your way to achieve pilot they are looking for people that are very dedicated and i don't mean like a month u must breath army aviation and a quick one about the recruiters they will tell you whatever they think will make you join faster like its easier to enlist then go w/o bbbeeee! incorrect or if your hurting for money its better to enlist now we can get you pilot once your stable bbeeee! wrong again it is better to go street to seat/high school to flight school remember i said the word dedication that is one of those things you tell the recruiter its my way or nothing if you start your relationship like that and never steer away there will be no confusion just dig deep and get you a competitive packet put together and if you don't get selected try again even harder if you still don't get selected remember more people don't get the chance than do that's why its competitive i know its hard to think of yourself not good enough but maybe this isn't the right route and time or god has a different plan.

if you still don't get selected remember more people don't get the chance than do that's why its competitive i know its hard to think of yourself not good enough but maybe this isn't the right route and time or god has a different plan.

Or you can just keep reapplying. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...