Carrying A Toolbox

I had some seaplane instruction recently and learned all about the items that belong in the "seaplane toolbox"; folding anchor, mooring line, paddle, safety wire, vice grip, screwdriver, flashlight, rag, aluminum duct tape (it's stiffer), dip stick, sunscreen, water, bug spray, etc. etc. Conversely, I was never taught to carry anything along in my R22. Should I be carrying a little toolbox, and what items should be in it??

Susie

Cell phone, credit card, pocket knife (should be on your person in case you have to cut your seatbelt out after the unthinkable) and maybe some basic first aid.

How about wheels and/or blade tie downs? Had a situation where a student was returning from a XC and had to divert b/c of an oncoming T-storm. Landed okay, but he had to run around looking for wheels to get the heli into the hangar.

For XC flights, I do have a small bivy kit that I bring. Enough to get thru the night and signal for help.

I do both Seaplanes and Helicopters. I carry a tool kit in each. For the helicopter I carry a sparkplug socket, a spare sparkplug, a couple of screwdrivers, an small assortment of screws and washers, a couple of hose clamps, a roll of safety wire and a safety wire tool, a leatherman and an adjustable wrench. Both duct tape and 200 MPH tape is carried. I have just added a item called rescue tape. It is diabolical. It will take temperature, pressure, etc. Plus an extra qt of oil and a qt of transmission fluid. Haven't had to use either of them yet, but in many cases, that is why you carry it, if you didn't THEN you would need it.

Invest in a handheld radio. Dont bother with a cheap one, if you need it you'll wish it was a good one. It makes the overnight/survival gear unnecessary. And carry it on your person, I heard somewhere that 'if you dont have it on you, dont expect to have it with you after a crash.' Especially true in a tinderbox robinson.

• Like 1

I also bring an adjustable wrench to pull chip detectors. If you have enough experience to tell between fuzz and a real problem or have your mechanic show you in the maintenance book what is acceptable you can get yourself back up after a chip light in the field. Some safety wire wouldn't hurt either. I have a small tool kit but I rarely go beyond the Leatherman.

Unless you are a A&P or are trained to repair aircraft don't bother with things to repair the aircraft. The reality is probably little that you will be able to fix in the field unless you are a A&P. But do have things to survive going down in a remote area. I taught a course in wilderness survival in CAP for our pilots. It has been really well accepted. When I fly I carry pretty much the same stuff I did when I was in the Army.

1. 406 EPIRB (These are a couple of $100 but extremely cheap compared to your life).

Two options

http://www.acrelectronics.com/ (I have this one and it has a built in GPS)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

2. Icomm Aviation radio (Amazingly helpful)

3. Signal Mirror with Whistle

4. Survival kit from Eddie Bauer all fits in a 32oz water bottle with a carabineer (was like $10) http://tinyurl.com/2vgcty9

A. Flashlight with new batteries

B. Multi-knife

C. Poncho

D. Emergency Blanket (AKA Space Blanket)

E. Waterproof matches

F. First aid kit

G. Compass

H. Glowstick

I. Water purification tablets

5. FM-1-400 Aviators Handbook (tells you how to survive)

6. A good pair of shoes for hiking. Because you will be doing a lot of it if you go down.

7. A couple of energy bars and peanut packs

8. 2 16oz bottles of water or Gatorade

I know this sounds like a lot but it all goes into a Aviation survival vest ($30 on Ebay http://tinyurl.com/34hs9mh). Depending on the mission either I wear it or keep it under the seat. If I go down and it is under the seat I can grab it in five seconds. I know I tested it.

I've been doing search and rescue since the late 80s both as a pilot and ground team (including dog handler). I can't tell you how many times people could have survived if they had the proper gear and training to do so. A simple thing like a space blanket could have saved lives. But people never plan for the worst. They figure because the aircraft works right now it will work the same way later. Carry at least some of this stuff. 99% of the time you will never need it, BUT that 1%......

If you're flying a Robbie, I'd probably try to pack a Schweizer in the tool box... :P

In a Schweizer I'd pack...oh wait, that's right, there's no place to put a toolbox in a Schweizer. :lol: :D

...1. 406 EPIRB (These are a couple of $100 but extremely cheap compared to your life).

Two options

http://www.acrelectronics.com/ (I have this one and it has a built in GPS)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

While I agree with much of what you said, and a 406 EPIRB is a great thing to have...

The SPOT device is NOTa 406 EPIRB! It is a SEND (Satellite Emergency Notification Device). It uses the GPS satellite constellation to determine its position, then, IF the transmitter is facing the sky, transmits to the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) commercial sat-phone Globalstar satellite network a one-way transmission of all messages including location. The message is transmitted to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center in Montgomery, Texas (a private company) who then notifies the appropriate emergency agency for the region after first calling the user to ensure the transmission is not accidental.

It is a neat-o device and fun to use to keep track of folks in the field or review your location tracks when you return. I think, while it has and will save lives, I WOULD NOT trust my life to it. It has some limitations, and ongoing costs, and IMHO is dangerously over-marketed for its life-saving functions. If your subscription lapses or the computer loses you, they won’t pass along your distress alert or messages. No money, or record of money, no rescue. Even if you're paid up there have been some glitches contacting the appropriate emergency agency.

I think you would be much better to go with a true 406 EPIRB, supplemented with a sat-phone if you can justify the additional cost. Throw in a SPOT too if you want. Redundancy is good, and they're fun.

see: Time to get a 406 MHz ELT for your aircraft and Using Commercial LEOSAT Comms to improve SARSAT Coverage links to USCG PowerPoint presentations

6. A good pair of shoes for hiking. Because you will be doing a lot of it if you go down....

While indeed you should have good sturdy supportive fire resistant footwear on (NOT flip-flops!), you should generally NOT be doing a lot of hiking, unless it's hiking out with your rescuers if that becomes necessary. Conventional aircraft crash survival doctrine says STAY WITH THE AIRCRAFT!!!

"In almost all circumstances, your best bet for being found is to stay by your aircraft. Travel in wilderness areas, unless you are experienced, is fraught with hazards and danger. Don't travel unless you are absolutely positive about where you are going. Even if you saw a road or cabin just over the ridge on your way down, don't try to walk out unless you are sure you know how to get there, finding your way through possibly inhospitable terrain, and that your physical condition and equipment is good enough to ensure you can make it. Experience tells us that the odds are against you. Generally, the only reason to travel is if rescue is virtually inconceivable and unlikely and you have absolutely no other alternatives."
(from
Equipped To Survive, A Survival Primer
)

There have been too many instances of successful rescue of those who stayed with the aircraft, while those who left "to get help" have perished.

see: Equipped To Survive, Aviation Survival

In a Schweizer I'd pack...oh wait, that's right, there's no place to put a toolbox in a Schweizer. :lol: :D

... other than in the baggage compartment

(optional - replaces - and looks like - the aux fuel tank).

Edited by lelebebbel

The glovebox in a SZR is about as big as r22 underseat stowage and you wont be pulling your survival gear out of your rectum after the seats stroke in a crash.

The glovebox in a SZR is about as big as r22 underseat stowage and you wont be pulling your survival gear out of your rectum after the seats stroke in a crash.

I've put an overnight bag in that under-seat compartment(on top of the aircraft cover). I seriously doubt you could fit that in the glovebox of an S300. There's barley enough room for an extra quart of oil!

Still, a compartment that repaces the AUX Tank would be nice, although it might take a little longer to get anywhere.

I've put an overnight bag in that under-seat compartment(on top of the aircraft cover). I seriously doubt you could fit that in the glovebox of an S300. There's barley enough room for an extra quart of oil!

Still, a compartment that repaces the AUX Tank would be nice, although it might take a little longer to get anywhere.

Yeah without the aux fuel tank, the S300 only has a 3 hour endurance instead of 6....

... but we don't want to turn this into another R22-vs-S300 thread, do we?

In the remote areas of OZ, I carry:

- Leatherman

- torch

- good boots

- exposure protection (warm jacket, long sleeve clothing, hat + sunscreen)

- first aid kit including at least 1 space blanket per passenger

- lighter or flint

- water (lots)

- 406MHz EPIRB

- optional, a few chocolate bars

- depending on the length of the flight and the machine, 1 or more bottles of oil

I don't own a satphone but I'm always happy if the company or one of the passengers provides one.