Crop Dusting

Aus19

I am interested in getting into the aerial application business. I currently have a commercial license and working towards my cfi. Is there any way someone like me with low hrs could get his foot in the door, such as working ground crew? Any input is appreciated.

Thats the easiest way to get to this business. You will more than likely have to work as ground crew for a couple of years. If you are lucky you will get some ferry time and some other flying in between. There are companies out there that will take on low time guys and train them. You will have to do some research and find out where they are and call them. Face to face always works better.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Yeah, truck driver/loader is probably the best. Some have gone straight into flying but thats very rare. Loading is a good way to get to know the people(and for them to get to know you) and to learn how things are done without the pressure of making the decisions yourself. In other words keep your ears and eyes open and your mouth shut.

Most of the seasonal r/w ag operators i know of dont keep a full-time loading staff so when the season rolls around they are scrambling to find competent people. My bet is that if you called a couple operators and showed an interest in the business rather than just a paycheck they may give you a shot.

The pay is usually low, the hrs are long and its dirty but it could turn into the break you are looking for.

PM me if you want a few names/numbers for operators in the midwest.

BW

Get your CDL if you can. Most, if not all will require it.

Will do, So far searching online I haven't found any websites of anyone down here in Arizona that specifically uses helicopters. I did find a yellow page list of "aerial applicators," contact info so I guess ill just have to ask if they are fixed wing of rotor craft. If this helps any I have been around agriculture most of my life. My family has a few farms up in Oregon and we put up quite a bit of hay in the summer. I really appreciate all the advice from everyone and will definitely get my cdl. Thanks

So far searching online I haven't found any websites of anyone down here in Arizona that specifically uses helicopters.

Helicopter companies sorted by state (AZ, CA, OR) and part 137 cert:

AIRWEST HELICOPTERS L L C GLENDALE AZ

ARIZONA HELICOPTER ADVENTURES LLC SEDONA AZ

ARIZONA HELISERVICES INC TUCSON AZ

PAPILLON AIRWAYS INC GRAND CANYON AZ

SUNDOWN HELICOPTERS INC YUMA AZ

A AND P HELICOPTERS INC RICHVALE CA

AG-AIR INC STOCKTON CA

AGRA FLY INC BAKERSFIELD CA

AIR RESOURCES HELICOPTERS INC COSTA MESA CA

AIRWEST HELICOPTERS INC REDLANDS CA

ALPINE HELICOPTER SERVICE INC LODI CA

AMBROSINI HELICOPTERS INC FRESNO CA

AMERICAN AG AVIATION INC FIVE POINTS CA

ARIS HELICOPTERS LTD MOFFETT FIELD CA

ASPEN AG HELICOPTERS INC OXNARD CA

AVAG INC RICHVALE CA

BETTENCOURT FLYING SERVICES INC ATWATER CA

BLACKHAWK HELICOPTERS INC EL CAJON CA

CALALASKA HELICOPTERS INC SANTA MARIA CA

C AND M HELICOPTERS INC HOLLISTER CA

CAVANAGH, WILLIAM G" MODESTO CA

COOKSEY, DOFF W" BRENTWOOD CA

COSTA, JAMES JOSEPH" TULARE CA

ENGLISH AIR SERVICE INC SANTA MARIA CA

FARM AVIATION INC BRAWLEY CA

GILBERT AVIATION INDUSTRIES INC VISALIA CA

GOMES FARM AIR SERVICE INC SALINAS CA

GUARDIAN HELICOPTERS INC VAN NUYS CA

HEPPE ENTERPRISES BAKERSFIELD CA

HUMMINGBIRDS INC VALLEY CENTER CA

HURON AG HELICOPTERS INC COALINGA CA

INLAND CROP DUSTERS INC SHAFTER CA

INTERMOUNTAIN HELICOPTER INC SONORA CA

JEFF STREETER MOTORSPORTS INC CHOWCHILLA CA

JONES AVIATION INC BIGGS CA

LEWIS, GERALD KLON" BAKERSFIELD CA

MARTIN'S DUSTERS INC ARBUCKLE CA

NATIONAL HELICOPTER SERVICE VAN NUYS CA

NORTH COAST HELICOPTER SERVICE NAPA CA

PACIFIC ROTORS INC OCEANSIDE CA

PACIFIC VALLEY AVIATION INC ARBUCKLE CA

PALM SPRINGS AVIATION INC DESERT HOT SPRGS CA

P J HELICOPTERS INC RED BLUFF CA

R AND B HELICOPTERS INC SALINAS CA

REDDING AIR SERVICE INC REDDING CA

ROGERS HELICOPTERS INC CLOVIS CA

SAN JOAQUIN HELICOPTERS DELANO CA

SINTON, JACK" PASO ROBLES CA

SOILSERV INC SALINAS CA

VERTICAL FLIGHT TECHNOLOGIES EL CAJON CA

WHIRLWIDE INC FRESNO CA

APPLEBEE AVIATION INC BANKS OR

BONNEVILLE AIRCRAFT SERVICES-TC PORTLAND OR

CROMAN CORP WHITE CITY OR

EVERGREEN HELICOPTERS INC MCMINNVILLE OR

HELICOPTER TRANSPORT SERVICES CORVALLIS OR

HENDERSON AVIATION CO JUNCTION CITY OR

HILLSBORO AVIATION INC HILLSBORO OR

JL AVIATION INC BORING OR

KNIGHT, RANDAL C"MILTON FREEWATER OR

LEADING EDGE AVIATION INC BEND OR

RAM SYSTEMS LLC JEFFERSON OR

REFORESTATION SERVICES INC SALEM OR

T L FOREST PRODUCTS INC ASHLAND OR

WESTERN HELICOPTER SERVICES INC NEWBERG OR

WILDHORSE HELICOPTERS INC PENDLETON OR

WITHROTOR AVIATION LAKEVIEW OR

Hopefully, most are still in business.

Edited by iChris

I’m no subject matter expert, but I understand there is some sort of applicators chemical/HAZMAT test required by a regulating agency (Fed or State interiors?). And, I’ve heard it’s best to take this test in California because they have the highest environmental regulations. That is, if you pass the test in CA, then you’re good to go in any other state. Hopefully, the other Ag-experienced fellers here will clarify. In any case, if a test IS required, possibly start researching and studying for the test. Shoot, if you’re in collage, look for class which may be applicable and get credit for it……..

Will do, So far searching online I haven't found any websites of anyone down here in Arizona that specifically uses helicopters.

There are a couple in the Phx, Erhenburg, Yuma Az & Blythe Calif area and in fact I just spent a few hours in holiday traffic watching one working next to the 10 fwy just west of the prison using a 206. The following people can let you know who's spraying in the valley.

Call (623) 935-3388

Gold Coast Helicopter Services

Glendale Airport Terminal Building

6801 N Glen Harbor Blvd.

Suite 100

Glendale, AZ 85307

There are a couple in the Phx, Erhenburg, Yuma Az & Blythe Calif area and in fact I just spent a few hours in holiday traffic watching one working next to the 10 fwy just west of the prison using a 206. The following people can let you know who's spraying in the valley.

Call (623) 935-3388

Gold Coast Helicopter Services

Glendale Airport Terminal Building

6801 N Glen Harbor Blvd.

Suite 100

Glendale, AZ 85307

Ag tests are state specific and will sometimes transfer, but not always. Varies widely from one state to the next. CA does not play well with others so theirs is usually non-reciprocal. They are not that difficult and can usually be passed with a day or two of self study. If you narrow down the state you will be working in it may be worth getting the test done. For a loader/ground crew position most companies will put far more credit towards a CDL than an applicator license.

The 206/OH-58 flying off I-10 was most likely Tri-Rotor flying out of Buckeye.

Keep in mind that just because an operator has a 137 cert does not mean they fly ag work. Most of the USFS fire contracts require the operator have all 3 (133,135,137) to bid on the fire contract. These companies may never spray an acre but still have a 137 cert for other reasons.

I would guess there are 8-10 F/W ag operations in AZ. The only R/W guys i am aware of are in Buckeye and 2 in Yuma. Blythe had a r/w operator last i knew but i think they are officially in CA. As for the PNW I dont have the first clue.

Good luck

BW

Yes get your AG license! there are a few test and they are hard. I got into Ag by Loading and just knowing the right people. It is not easy to get into, its a bunch of older guys lotes of them do stuff different than us younger gen, But most of them are great guys and the AG would is running out of pilots, at the AG convention in the Northwest this year there was not many of us without grey hair. start knocking on doors! and Learn how to fly a Airplane! and dont be a helicopter snob most AG guys fly both.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you now of any Ag operators in Florida. I have a few company names but there may be companies that have contracts here and aren't necessarily based here. I'm a low timer trying to get my foot in the door. Any PM's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wardy

I work for one and don't need a CDL. Of course there is a risk working with chemicals man but that is what PPE and a bit of care is for!!

You're going to need a class B with an air brake endorsement for many operations. May as well get the tanker endorsement while you're at it. You're going to want to be able to drive whatever they have. I drove for about 2 weeks and my arms tingled for about 4 days after I quit. I wore rubber gloves that went half way up my arms. Some of that stuff is pretty nasty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you now of any Ag operators in Florida. I have a few company names but there may be companies that have contracts here and aren't necessarily based here. I'm a low timer trying to get my foot in the door. PM's with any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wardy

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing?

I hate to say it Dude, but if you want into the AG business, you're just going to have to get in your car, drive around the State (farm to farm), and ask them in person, "who does your spraying", and/or "are you looking for ground help?".

People say the AG business is hurting for pilots, and that they hire pilots in 'from the ground' all the time, but these places, and jobs, are VERY WELL HIDDEN!

:)

That does seem to be the case alright! Every article you read is saying the same thing, "new blood needed in the AG industry". I don't want it to seem like I'm being lazy, just thought a heads-up might give me an idea where to start first or a name to ask for.

You're right Butters, I'll do just that. I suppose it's still not too late in the season either.

Thanks

Wardy

Try going to the National Agricultural Aviation Association site. If you join (I think it's free) you can get a list of all their members. If you find one, you can find the rest in that area, as they all know each other. Even if you find only fixed wing operators, they will know the helicopter guys, too. Let me know what you find out, I'm in Fl., too. Good luck.

Edited by helonorth
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

My ag experience is fixed wing, so I can't speak directly to hiring into a helicopter. However, generally speaking, ag work isn't entry level work. It's not merely a matter of flying the aircraft. Drift claims are a very big issue; drift chemical onto the wrong crop and the insurance and liability claims can quickly take all the profit from an operator for the season. That, in turn, can put a company out of business very quickly.

Ag work involves frequent turns at low altitude, usually in close proximity to hazards, including powerlines. It sometimes involves work under powerlines.

I've done ag and fire for a number of years in a number of different aircraft. I'd venture to say that most operators aren't quick to hire an inexperienced pilot. Keeping the aircraft where it's needed is part of the job,but many ag jobs involve knowledge of proper chemical use and making chemical recommendations, crop knowledge, insect and plant knowledge, an understanding of farming techniques, an ability to inspect fields and meet with and counsel the farmer, and in many cases, an intimate enough knowledge of what's being flown to work on the equipment. Many ag aviators are also mechanics, with or without their airframe or powerplant ratings. In my experience, working on the equipment also includes far more than just the aircraft; one may be working on tractors, trucks, pumps, or anything else that needs fixing and maintenance. It's not always that way, but often so.

Ag aviation has been a slowly dying industry over the past thirty years or so. Fixed wing equipment got bigger, with more gallons carried and less use for small aircraft; moving quickly they cover large areas (and farther distances at higher speeds) and mean less aircraft and less pilots in the business. Ground rigs do more damage, but tend to be less expensive, and chemigation and ground application use have increased exponentially over the years.

Ag work is largely seasonal work. Some find a way to make it pay year round, but they're more the exception than the rule. Seasonal work is a unique lifestyle, but if you like being unemployed and searching for work every few months, it may be for you. It's also a lifestyle in which you have no guarantees about what you'll make in any given year. One year I was making 400 an hour plus 400 a day, plus other parts and pieces, for example, but only got fifteen hours of flying. A complete bust. Other years, I've been run so ragged that my legs hurt too much to get out of the aircraft at the end of the day.

If you like doing that kind of work (I do), it's a great job. If you don't like getting dirty, have a thing about chemicals, don't like a rural lifestyle, and don't feel comfortable about fixing what you break, then other types of flying are probably for you. Much of my ag flying has involved firefighting, and frankly, there's nothing better than the smell of smoke in the cockpit.