MY NEW ENSTROM PHOTO!

MileHi480B

OK, here it is, the first photo of my Enstrom 480B since officially taking ownership!

It is being shipped from England. Well, the photo is not that flattering.

On a serious note ... this is the first time I have extensively researched a product through Google, interviews, reviews, books and magazines ... and NEVER found one negative comment about the model.

I feel I made an excellent choice ... and thank Jack at Mountain One Helicopters for all the help!

post-14437-0-37445900-1297887720_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

She looks sweet...are there many aerodynamic challenges with that sort of airframe? The drag would be a bitch I'm sure :P

Best of luck with it. I have yet to fly one of those but they do seem to get great reviews.

• Like 1

Now gotta change my VR Screen name ... mmmmm, how about MileHi480B?

I like that name!

And Jack is a great guy!! I've only talked with him a few times, but he was super nice and knowledgeable!!

Edited by adam32

Congrats on the upgrade! I just delivered your (former) pretty red R44 over the hills to Colorado's Western Slope. It's new owner is equally thrilled :). You took great care of that puppy. Enjoy the 480B!

--JMc

No more hydraulics! I've always wanted to fly one, so just bring her out to the west coast!

N74816.. I brought that thing back from Arkansas! such a pretty R44. Tom, hurry and open the box. I wanna see the helicopter, and I'll be up there soon to take a flight in the 480.

So I'm still pretty naive on this form of rotary wing, what is the transition speed for this 53foot grey beauty?

I don't recall all the numbers, I think best glide is the same as the 206, maybe 55 knots or so?

However I hear that the flare required to stop your descent is pretty drastic. Might want to practice that with someone who has lived thru it before you try it yourself. Maybe the last guy that went over Niagra in a barrel could shed some light on the subject.

Congrats on the upgrade! I just delivered your (former) pretty red R44 over the hills to Colorado's Western Slope. It's new owner is equally thrilled :). You took great care of that puppy. Enjoy the 480B!

--JMc

I think I might have been this new owners instructor..... what a small world this is!

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S HeeeeeeeeRE! In the US, I mean.

Now on a rail car on its way to Denver, then a truck to me!

"Yippeekayay!"

After your first couple flights I would like to chat and see what you think of it.

After your first couple flights I would like to chat and see what you think of it.

Already have 5 flights in a very similar 480B (got a head start on transition). I can tell you now.

-The cockpit is unbelievably roomy.

-Turbine procedures and management are simple

-Power is incredible

-The "trim" instead of hydraulics is more difficult to fly than the R44 but I like the direct control "feel".

-I love the idea that I can do hammerheads, ag turns with negative g's and other maneuvers without worrying about mast-bumping.

-I love that it doesn't dance around near the ground.

-I don't like the mild wobble while on the ground at idle.

-I love the forgiving landing gear

-I love the rock-solid feel in the air. Way more substantial than than the R44.

-I love the simplicity

BUT MY FAVORITE HELI WOULD BE A CROSS BETWEEN THE 480B with some of the characteristics of the R44.

Edited by MileHi480B