They Lied, No jobs for New Pilots

"By the way, doctors have interns, plummers, and electritians have journyman, and apprentiships, Hell, even Maury Povich has internships,...why can't we?"

I'm working on it.... I've been planning this approach for some time. I've talked with many pilots and operators and I think I have a good plan... I'll keep you posted as I'm getting ready to launch this summer. It may not be for everybody but it could help some.

• Like 1

They used to hire very low time pilots for companies in the North Sea, I don't know why they don't do it here in the States. Most of my friends got hired with less than 200 hours for jobs as a co-pilot on a Super Puma.

Bristow bought a flight school, a few of them actually, in different locations around the states. They don't do a thing to hire their graduates after instructing at their schools. You would think that would be the perfect stepping stone but not so.

I'm not saying that they should,...I'm saying, if they're not going to do anything to help the situation, then they should stop "bitching" that they can't find the kind of pilots they want!

Unless the whole thing about there being a "shortage of experienced pilots", is just a lie! In which, this discussion is moot.

By the way, doctors have interns, plummers, and electritians have journyman, and apprentiships, Hell, even Maury Povich has internships,...why can't we?

:)

:)

I understand that a lot of this is could just be you ranting. But I have to say that blaming others for everything is the wrong approach. Once you start realizing that it's not the industry that is jacked up you may find some doors opening for you. Even if the industry IS jacked up, don't look at it that way. There will always be someone you are competing against who will look better and have more "experience." The way you get in over that guy is to take the time to sell yourself and that requires face time.

How much time do you spend around the airport when you're not flying? The way I made my connections is by bumming around every day all day - and by working on the flight line. I have a lot of acquaintances that I feel I could easily call up and say "hey have you caught wind of any jobs?" Now I have 10 eyes out there in all sorts of different places.

Get out to the airport, bum around, ask questions, offer to help people with stuff and make some friends. And don't be afraid to talk to fixed wing guys. Your sphere of influence will extend tenfold simply due to the distances they travel. I met people from all over the US. And guess what - they probably have helicopter pilot friends back home ;)

Edited by SBuzzkill

I understand that a lot of this is could just be you ranting. But I have to say that blaming others for everything is the wrong approach...

I don't blame anyone for my current predicament, and I understand that I am completely responsible for finding (or not finding) a job.

I'm just relating my experiences, and frustrations with the standard "catch 22" of the job market, (any job market). Welcome to overpopulation. :)

I suppose one day it will be like that particular episode of 'South Park', where people from the Future, travel into the Past, just to find work. :lol:

I'm 12 hours into training. Its getting to these events that gets the ball rolling. I'm in Minnesota but am thinking about which events to attend nationally and are worth my time and $. Would rotorfest be a good start? Its only a 14 HR Drive.

Well, I've got a Intro flight under my belt and went to the HeliExpo to get a feel for the industry. Met some outstanding people by going to the opening dinner that was held. Pretty much anyone I asked a question to, they took the time to help me out. Why wouldn't you want to network in this industry? And as far as the cost to get into these things...Well worth it. It cost me $125 to get in the door, some AA batteries for all the pictures I took of my son in almost every helicopter on the floor, Hotel Room and some food. Next HeliExpo is in Dallas, Feb. next year and already told my wife we are going to set some vacation time aside to go attend. Probably will be attending the Las Vegas Heli Success seminar (after hearing several recomendations and attending Lyn's seminar at Expo) as well....who doesn't like Vegas?????

my .02

Oh, not to mention a little bit of history that was at the Expo reception as well.

http://www.aoptero.org/htm/graham.htm

Well worth it. It cost me $125 to get in the door, http://www.aoptero.org/htm/graham.htm

Hey! The party was free to attend, and if I had known you were going to be there and needed a ticket to the exhibits I could have got one for you gratis.

See ya next year,.

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

I am considering a career change to become a heli pilot (sounds familiar?)...

Sorry to dig up this dead thread (if mod lets it through), but I found it quite instructive (not to say depressing) and would love to hear if anything has changed since 2011 - has the industry recovered a bit or is it even worse, has r22butters landed his dream job, etc.?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am considering a career change to become a heli pilot (sounds familiar?)...

Sorry to dig up this dead thread (if mod lets it through), but I found it quite instructive (not to say depressing) and would love to hear if anything has changed since 2011 - has the industry recovered a bit or is it even worse, has r22butters landed his dream job, etc.?

Thanks!

"Has the industry recovered?" No, if anything it's worse at present for a new pilot. The Army is/was getting rid of the 58 and drawing down to about half strength releasing well trained pilots; corporate flight departments are doing the same, or worse; the oil sector is suffering, so it's bad right now.

But, I never met a 'rich' person who ran with the herd, unless the wealth was inherited. They don't sell when a market is down, for instance. Unless bankruptcy counts as selling assets... To be successful you have to be contrarian and willing to lose in order to have any chance to win.

To the point, the largest single cohort of helicopter pilots, the Vietnam era guys, are or will be leaving the market in the next few years. Draw your own conclusions from that bit of data. Add that every slump drives some experienced pilots from the pool, and depresses the training market yield, and consider carefully the prospects in 5 years for a pilot starting now. There are no guarantees in this world, the opportunity comes with huge risk....

I always find it interesting to read discussions where people commenting are now gone. Didnt ADRidge get killed hitting a set of power lines on frost?

We lost Andrew to a power line strike during cherry drying. I had mentored him and this was a personal lost to me and others that knew him well.

FP, Andrew crashed drying cherries and, sadly, died.

Our Vietnam pilot retired last year. :) Solid dude... awesome stories. UH1 and Cobra guy, CW05. Big ol' white mustache :)

Two of our Vietnam pilots retired at my base this month. I think we only have one more left...all great people.

But... I'm the only civilian trained pilot at my base now.

Changing careers and moving into the Helicopter world is definitely not easy or smooth sailing.

That being said, it is very doable if it is what you want to do. I decided to change careers and start flying when I was 34...

There are a few things to consider though if it is what you want to do... First off you need to REALLY want to do it and be willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Being financially stable (to some degree) is important as well. Generally speaking you are not going to make it work if you try to piece together training and maintain a full time job at the same time. You are most likely going to want to make flight training your "full time job" for the next 2-4 years depending on how long it takes you working as a flight instructor to build some time and relationships that lands you your first decent paying (sustainable) job. I lump the flight instructor time in there because you really are still training and not making much in the way of a living. You should find a solid program that can take you all the way through your CFII and that is not so small that you are the only student, because ideally you will want them to want you to stick around and instruct for them. If your not able to stay with them, there are many CFI jobs out there, but you will have to move. That is another part of the equation... If you have family or any other reason keeping you from moving to where the jobs might be, then you really should consider some other line of work...

If your able to travel whenever to where ever then other than working for nothing or peanuts for 2-4 years, you will be fine. There are so many options out there for pilots if they look around, research, network, that the ones who put in the effort will end up being successful. I know many people who have all made it in the industry with the willingness to put in the effort and take the jobs they needed to in order to keep the ball rolling. Its not easy and there will probably be a lot of job changes during your career, but if flying heli's is what you want to do, its there to be done. The ones who don't make it, honestly just give up... But it is important to know how hard it can be and that it is just not for everyone no matter how fun flying is.

• Like 1

Hmmm, changes since 2011? Flying the ditch requirements moved up a bit, from 1000 to 1200. Yes the GOM work.......all oil work actually....fluctuates along with the price of oil. Not a lot of exploration overall when oil sits at 40 bucks a barrel. But the guys getting laid off....and yes, there are a lot of lay offs right now...most have 2 or 3,000 hours or more... If they have any VR experience they could help fill a gap in experienced long line pilots for fire fighting.

For the low time guy, I think the market is the same. For those that get out there, they find a low time opportunity and move up. For those that fax resumes around, maybe not so much.

Like Wally said in an earlier post on this thread about resumes "What makes yours stand out? In other words, what makes YOU stand out?

Remember operators are not hiring robots, they are hiring people. The hours is a given....every applicant responding to a job opening that states 1000 PIC min, should all have at least 1000 hours.....but when hiring people you need to look at other factors. If flying tours a likeable personality would help. Having a pilot who calls in sick each week and complains every day is not what an operator wants....so dependable is a good trait. That's why operators like to call around for references. It's not all about stick time.

I've seen plenty of examples where pilots were hired under minimums..why....because they had what it takes.... a safety mindset, thorough, planner, good attitude, likeable personality, etc...like anything else, the top 40% find work....the bottom 60% don't.

So just choose to be part of the top 40%.,

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1