Boom?

eagle5

We are talking outdoors, right? Not fueling in a closed space someplace? As someone who has fueled many, many piston helicopters over the years, sometimes without a grounding cable (gasp!), I can tell you: Nothing happens. As long as it's a skid-equipped helicopter parked on the earth IT IS GROUNDED - nothing more needs to be done to the airframe. Do you feel a need to ground the nozzle to the airframe before opening the cap? Go right ahead. Most nozzles I've seen no longer have the little grounding plug/clip. So there's your answer: Nothing happens. Something *could* happen, but typically does not :-/

• Like 1

I'm a fueler and have seen a spark jump six inches from my bonding cable to the aircraft. Also the flow of fuel it's self builds up static. However this is with thousands of gallons going into an airliner not 15 or so into a Robinson. It's extremely unlikely something could happen but with the severity of the risk to the minimal effort to mitigate it I'm gonna bond every time.

• Like 1

7390394066_10dd2ca03e_z.jpg

This is a helicopter grave on a station in Western Australia. The R44 burned down after it caught fire while refuelling from drums with a motorised pump, with no grounding obviously. They had used the same setup many times before, but this time apparently, the drums were a bit further away so the hose wasn't touching the ground between the aircraft and the pump. A static discharge happened, followed by a nice little fire.

They do use ground wires now.

Edited by lelebebbel
  • Like 1