Active Duty Applicants

The Active Duty Applicant

If you are anything like me you probably found yourself at this site through Google, trying to find any information on submitting a Warrant Officer Flight packet. The more I searched, the more I found information on the Civilian/street-to-seat/high school to flight school applicant … not exactly what I was looking for. I spent countless hours going through various websites trying to compare my stats, information about active duty board procedures and what they look for, selection rate percentages, etc. I SHOULD have saved time by making an account here earlier. So before you continue reading get yourself a log in and contribute to this forum! There is a wealth of knowledge from people willing to help and answer any questions you have. Being in Aviation (Air Traffic Control), I constantly get asked by Soldiers (from new privates to fellow SSG’s) about submitting a flight packet and give them two links … the USAREC warrant website and a link to this forum …

Getting started:

Your first stop: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

SAMPLE PACKET (with timeline/common errors) – http://www.usarec.ar...et_DEC_2011.pdf

Don’t forget about the “Application Processing” tab as they like to post useful information there from time to time.

Selection Board Schedule – Know the deadlines! Set a realistic goal for when you want your packet submitted and backwards plan to get there. Know that you will have to rely on others to get some things done, i.e. Flight Physical and LOR’s. Be proactive and schedule them well in advance to make sure you can hit your deadline.

Warrant Officer Selection Board Results – One thing applicants overlook is the “WARRANT OFFICER SELECTION BOARD MEMBERS COMMENTS” … check these out HERE before you start writing your resume! “White” is ok!

Packet Download Area – Make sure that you have all the latest forms as they do change.

Process:

Physical – Make sure that you schedule your flight physical well in advance. It can take upwards of a month to get it back approved from Rucker (longer if there are errors). Check on its status regularly as the doc won’t care about getting it back as much as you will! Don’t be afraid to pick up the phone and call Rucker (Lyster) if your doc isn’t much help.

SIFT – You missed your opportunity to use your AFAST score. See the SIFT thread … more information is coming out on it as more people take it.

LOR’s / interviews – Being Aviation it was pretty easy for me to find a Senior Warrant. Many people suggest “walking the flight line” if you are having trouble locating one. I will tell you that all of the warrant officers that I encountered were extremely helpful and eager to assist me in the process. When trying to get a LOR make sure that you go in prepared. I had a binder with a pretty complete packet. Make their job easy and have bullets/summary of your accomplishments and anything you’d like in your LOR. Be prepared to write it yourself (especially for a busy BN CDR)! Make sure that you can demonstrate strong writing abilities as I know people who have been turned away for a poorly written resume. Be prepared to explain WHY you want to be an aviator, WHY you think you would succeed, and basic understandings of the warrant officer corps/career progression … basically sell yourself and demonstrate that you know what you’re getting into.

DA Photo – Have your PSG, 1SG, WHOEVER you trust look over your uniform before you go in. Have them look the photo over once you get it back to make sure it looks good. If you tell the photographer that it’s for a warrant officer packet they should give you a printed copy but if not don’t worry about it. You can pull it up and print it yourself or save it as a pdf for you packet.

Submission –

So you have everything in order ready to scan and submit … there are some tricks to make it easier, and in my opinion, look “cleaner”. Instead of scanning EVERYTHING only scan documents that aren’t “Formflow”. The only documents that I NEEDED to scan were:

Warrant Officer Application Checklist

DA Form 61 (page 3)

College Transcripts/COPIES of professional certificates

AFAST results (or SIFT)

Security clearance verification

All other documents were converted straight to PDF. To convert formflow docs to pdf simply click “print” and “convert to pdf”. Converting them this way will give them a “clean” look and smaller file size (so that you don’t have to send a million emails when you submit) After I had all documents in pdf format I put them in order by using ADOBE Acrobat X (free trial) … you can also use websites like PDFMERGE for free. Break them down into files that are less than 5MB (as per the USAREC site).

Notes: I was selected for 153A, JAN 2013 … I’m sure things are bound to change. Don’t get discouraged if you do not selected right off the get go. I personally know people who finally got selected after 6 and 9 years of NS-NC. Be proactive … if you made it to this site you probably have a leg up on others … VR seems to have a good track record on Q-S!!

If you’re really interested: Army Aviation Association of America (AAAA) “Messages from the Chief Warrant Officers of the Army Aviation Branch” http://www.quad-a.or...d=331&Itemid=97

I’ll try to add more if I think of other things that helped me get selected … other Active applicants feel free to add anything that would help other ACTIVE DUTY folks … Good luck!

• Like 4

Darkstar, spectacular write-up! Now we have two very good threads for civilian and active-duty applicants respectively. Very nice.

Now we just need someone to do a write-up on Military Branch Transfers (AF, Navy, Marines, CG).

• Like 1

I'm an interservice transfer. The only differences is that you have you get your DD368 signed by your Command as part of your package. You need to make sure that your LORs are on the DA form and not your branch letter head, though you don't have to have them digitally signed since you won't have the correct software on your computer.

One you get selected you will receive, via the email address you submitted you packet by(your .mil address), a "Request for a transfer of Orders". I'm not sure how you would process them for the Marines/Navy but in the AF you will go to your Virtual MPF and select "Self Service Actions" then select "Separations", then "Voluntary Separations then in the drop down find "Officer Program for another Branch". Fill this form out and upload your Request for Transfer of Orders paperwork. It will be routed to your CC who will approve it then to your Base Separation Authority(normally your Wing Commander) then will go to AFPC for processing.

In the Request for Transfer Orders it will tell you the date to select as your last day and give you instructions for finding a recruiter to get you to MEPS to swear into the Army.

I'm an active duty Marine trying to get everything done for the May 15th board. I am currently 99% complete on my package except for my flight physical which I am doing tomorrow. The deadline to submit packages for the May 15th board is March 15th, so I will basically have 3 weeks to get my stamp from Rucker on my physical. I will be extremely diligent in maintaining contact with Rucker for updates and hopefully get it back in time.

Had my flight physical today at the Navy aeromedical clinic, what a sh*t show. I passed everything required on the flight physical and the doctor refused to sign the USAREC Form 1932 required to submit the passing physical to Rucker for the stamp and final approval. He said he "doesn't have the authority to sign off on an Army form." I then called Rucker from the Navy aeromedical clinic and had Rucker clarify to him on that phone that it was OKAY for him to sign it, but he still refused! Unbelievable. I called the Fort Bragg and Fort Stewart aeromedical clinics, and they both will NOT allow me to schedule a flight physical unless I go through a recruiter, and i've spoken with at least 10+ recruiters and not a single one will work with me because i'm an active duty Marine.

If you are an interservice transfer, particular from the Navy or Marines, how did you get your flight physical done? I need to figure this out ASAP in order to be able to get my package in by the March 15 deadline.

Lots of begging, coordinating with Ft. Rucker my self, showing up to Flight Med a few times a week, and I was lucky that I didn't have to deal with a flight Dr. that wasn't pushing back against the process. Its hard enough when everyone is cooperative.

They must have changed the policy. When I applied I had a heck of a time getting my Navy Phys approved by Rucker so I went to an Army Doc. Went to Hunter (SVN) and got it done without a recruiter. Got it approved first time as well.

The flight phys is a huge pain in the butt. Once you're in though they're quite easy. My last two at Hunter, I was done in 45 mins. Now a long form, that'll take a while.

Stay with it Jag. I got so frustrated with dealing with recruiters and the physical i too almost quit. The red tape you're dealing with now is just the beginning. Nothing gets done fast in the Army. That's what happens in large organizations.

They must have changed the policy. When I applied I had a heck of a time getting my Navy Phys approved by Rucker so I went to an Army Doc. Went to Hunter (SVN) and got it done without a recruiter. Got it approved first time as well.

The flight phys is a huge pain in the butt. Once you're in though they're quite easy. My last two at Hunter, I was done in 45 mins. Now a long form, that'll take a while.

Stay with it Jag. I got so frustrated with dealing with recruiters and the physical i too almost quit. The red tape you're dealing with now is just the beginning. Nothing gets done fast in the Army. That's what happens in large organizations.

I am a civi trying to get in and started my phys back in aug of last year. Its now feb and they are still giving me trouble. WTH! I call rucker and No one can tell me anything over the phone, my recruiters office sucks so its a waste of time calling him, so i call the flight clinic who conducted it and guess what another dead end basically. I just want to know what is taking this damn thing so long. I have come too far to give up but I really just want a answer ya know...

I am a civi trying to get in and started my phys back in aug of last year. Its now feb and they are still giving me trouble. WTH! I call rucker and No one can tell me anything over the phone, my recruiters office sucks so its a waste of time calling him, so i call the flight clinic who conducted it and guess what another dead end basically. I just want to know what is taking this damn thing so long. I have come too far to give up but I really just want a answer ya know...

What exactly do you need to do next? Your first step is to find a different recruiting office. I had the same issue as you and finally bit the bullet and went to an office an hour away--now I have FOUR recruiters including the station commander working on my packet. All of them are very passionate, prompt, and no BS. It's great, and a night-and-day difference. Before you do ANYTHING else, find another recruiter.

• Like 1

Jag i called the nearest army base with flight medicine which was belvoir and scheduled mine directly with them...i completed my ekg dental optometry and hearing test at my own base clinic using the forms belvoir emailed me for the part 1...after completing them and e mailing them back i scheduled my final part went to belvoir the doc checked me out did all the lil test he needed submitted my physical electronically to rucker and it was approved in 6 days hope this helps some.

• Like 1

Jag,

The Flight Physical process seems to be the bottle neck in a lot of people's WOFT packets. Keep pushing though. As Lindsey said, find a recruiting office that would work for you. Like her, I went through three or four recruiting offices before I found one willing to help. The one I went through was the furthest from me in my local area.

There are a lot of Former Marines here going through WOFT although I don't know of any inter-service transfers. There were six Marines in our WOCS class. I think all of us EASed and joined the Army. Keep your chin up brother.

Semper

Jag i called the nearest army base with flight medicine which was belvoir and scheduled mine directly with them...i completed my ekg dental optometry and hearing test at my own base clinic using the forms belvoir emailed me for the part 1...after completing them and e mailing them back i scheduled my final part went to belvoir the doc checked me out did all the lil test he needed submitted my physical electronically to rucker and it was approved in 6 days hope this helps some.

Thanks for the tip on Belvoir. I will call them Monday and attempt to schedule a physical for this week and bring my med record with me showing all of the EKG, optometry, etc. tests for their phase 1. I own a 1976 Piper Cherokee- I will literally fly anywhere on the east coast who will schedule a flight physical for me this week.

Fyi the test documents i mentioned can't be anymore then 3 months old when you do the part two with flight doc i had to get some done over so i could use the results...good luck but if you can get to belvoir they make it simple and will help you the whole way they deal with inter service all the time...

Thanks. All my test documents are from last week, so i'll be good. Going to give them a call first thing Monday morning and hopefully be able to get in there on Tuesday.

I see quite a bit on here about about the physical, but just decided if I could be of any help, I just graduated from Rucker as a 60 pilot recently. I am a NG pilot so some of your questions will have slightly different answers than what I can give you but I will certainly do my best. As far as the physical goes, your best answer is to schedule a physical at FT Rucker, take a trip to panama city beach and just get it done there... I will fill you in on the fact that, no matter where your physical is from, when you get to rucker, complete WOCS, and head to Aeromed, you will find yourself standing in Rucker taking the physical all over again... Yes, you will retake what you are so diligently trying to complete now, rather rucker signed your last one or not... Its good to get a lay of the land and figure out your preferences as well. Do you want to live off post and drive to the Flight Line Pickup at 0400 when you are on mornings or do you want to drive down the street and be there... Where is the best living, where is WOCS sign in, Where is the Soldier Service Center, Where is the Museum (you will have a lot of functions there). Walk into WOCS admin and talk with them... A cadre member will give you a tour and let you know what to expect... But if know one asks me a single question on here (which i hope you all do), atleast i want you to gather that going to rucker to accomplish the physical is the best way to do this, and no matter where your physical comes from you will do it again, done at rucker or elsewhere and signed by rucker... So with all that being said please send your questions... If you think i can help

What exactly do you need to do next? Your first step is to find a different recruiting office. I had the same issue as you and finally bit the bullet and went to an office an hour away--now I have FOUR recruiters including the station commander working on my packet. All of them are very passionate, prompt, and no BS. It's great, and a night-and-day difference. Before you do ANYTHING else, find another recruiter.

Hey Lindsey thanks for your advice. I am looking into getting another recruiter. The thing is most of my packet was already in order. The flight phys is just really being a pita. I just want to know why it keeps coming back incomplete. Like I said since I am a civi I don't have access or know how to some of the things that the current AD folk do. Rucker won't tell me anything over the phone so they say contact the flight clinic (which for me is McGuire AFB, NJ). But again I have been calling them for days trying to get an answer and the darn Sra. that I have been dealing with there isn't being of much assistance. I really feel like just taking a day off from work and making a day trip out of paying an in person visit to flight Medicine ARGh! Would be nice if someone at Rucker could tell me whats going on over the phone. I mean whats the point of there even being a contact there for flight physicals if they can't tell you anything...!

I'd suggest getting your flight physical done at an Army base, even if it's a bit of a distance to get to one. There's all sorts of mini horror stories about incomplete flight physicals, missing tests, wrong tests, etc when attempting your physical at an Air Force or Naval base. They simply have different requirements and procedures.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time anything will get done right, the first time is if you are directly involved. Med people are hard to deal with. I had to go back about three times, literally until I worked with a SSG (and not lower enliested) to get what I needed. E-3's that sit at the counter and didn't even know that people could apply for flight training try and tell you what Rucker wants to see on the physicals...