As everyone knows, the PT Test is not only important during the process of admission to WOFT, but also throughout a soldier's career in the military. From order of merit lists to promotion boards, your PT is a discriminating factor that will effect your career.

I would like to help anyone who is willing to work to better themselves. Aside from being an applicant to the WOFT program myself, I am a USA Triathlon Level III Coach, a USA Cycling Coach, a Nutrition and Dietetics Major, and an avid fitness enthusiast.

Myself and a friend of mine who is a Marine with the 2nd Recon have started a training company called ARC Training Solutions. We aren't planning to officially start training individuals until 2015 but right now, we would like to spend time working with some military athletes.

I figured this would be a good fishing grounds for this as I know many individuals want to pump their PT scores and become healthier individuals. At no cost, we can help you. All we ask is that you write reviews on how we perform as coaches.

Please feel free to PM me. It doesn't matter if your PT test is next week, at the end of the year, or next year, we want to help you. Furthermore, please feel free to use this thread as a dedicated PT advice thread!

Thanks!

IAS

• Like 8

Link invalid.

"The web page you were looking for was not found.

Please head back to our home page, or if you would like to view the full site."

It worked just fine for me. Operator error? :lol:

Oh, ok. Thanks. I started training more formally two weeks ago. Today I looked up the scoring and realized that I was already nearly maxing the run so I only have to worry about push-ups and sit-ups. Nice surprise.

That's awesome! In general, the run is the hardest part to max, so you shouldn't have any problems.

That's awesome! In general, the run is the hardest part to max, so you shouldn't have any problems.

It was actually opposite for me! Im an endurance guy by training and the pushups were initially the segment I was shy of maxing. Run wasnt even a thought.

Form over quantity when training your pushups.

As for sit ups, its important to understand that core exercise itself does not strengthen the necessary muscles. Focus on exercising your trunk and hipflexors by means of squats, kettle bell raises, etc. Form is everything

In general, the run is the hardest part to max,

Is this true for most people? I've always thought most people found running to be more straightforward in training than upper-body strength. Just run a lot B) I'm not even doing much right now, just 2 miles three times a week.

Im an endurance guy by training and the pushups were initially the segment I was shy of maxing. Run wasnt even a thought.

That's me. I've always been a runner so getting 13:00 over two miles isn't a concern.

I'm a tall thin guy (6'1" 145lbs...) so the pushups are what concern me. In November/December I did about 100 pushups every night before bed (not all at once) and by the end could do... 40 in a row. Not great but a big improvement over my initial 25. But then I went a month without it and now I'm back to 25. At least now I'm going to the gym regularly so I should get back into it. I have at least six months before any test so I'm not really concerned, but I've never done more than 40 push-ups at once before in my life so the thought of 70-80 is pretty intimidating.

Is this true for most people? I've always thought most people found running to be more straightforward in training than upper-body strength. Just run a lot B) I'm not even doing much right now, just 2 miles three times a week.

That's me. I've always been a runner so getting 13:00 over two miles isn't a concern.

I'm a tall thin guy (6'1" 145lbs...) so the pushups are what concern me. In November/December I did about 100 pushups every night before bed (not all at once) and by the end could do... 40 in a row. Not great but a big improvement over my initial 25. But then I went a month without it and now I'm back to 25. At least now I'm going to the gym regularly so I should get back into it. I have at least six months before any test so I'm not really concerned, but I've never done more than 40 push-ups at once before in my life so the thought of 70-80 is pretty intimidating.

In building your pushups focus on reps by minutes if your just starting out.

For instance. Start at 1 minute. Do 5x1 minute of pushups with 30-90 seconds rest between. Doing push ups every single day will not increase your strength or endurance. It will simply fatique the muscle and falsify a sense of gain. Do you run every day? Probably not. Train your upper body like you train your lower body. Tempo, intervals, etc. Muscular endurance is muscular endurance.

http://www.livestron...e-pushups-fast/ I've been doing this...Except where I would be doing the short sets I've been doing weights. What are your thoughts on this kind of training as it's an every day kind of thing? Also, I do run every day. However, I alternate 1 mile speed vs 3 miles steady pace with eliptical on the speed days to round out 27-30 minutes of cardio per day. Sorry this post is formatted odd. My enter key doesn't appear to be working. Thanks 2 year old son.

http://www.livestron...e-pushups-fast/ I've been doing this...Except where I would be doing the short sets I've been doing weights. What are your thoughts on this kind of training as it's an every day kind of thing? Also, I do run every day. However, I alternate 1 mile speed vs 3 miles steady pace with eliptical on the speed days to round out 27-30 minutes of cardio per day. Sorry this post is formatted odd. My enter key doesn't appear to be working. Thanks 2 year old son.

The livestrong advice isn't bad. It will work if done properly. As for the weights, I don't think it's a bad idea to incorporate weights with muscular endurance depending on what lifts you are doing. As for the running, as long as you attain proper alternation between what is your speed workout and what is your rest workout you'll be fine. Most weeks for my running schedule look like...

Mon - Endurance Run (6-14 miles)

Tues- Tempo Workout (3-5 miles or mile repeats)

Wed- Recovery Run (OR Other endurance based exercises)

Thurs - Speed Workout (400s/800s/mile repeats at race pace)

Friday- No Run but other exercises

Sat-Race day (most of the time) or other exercises w/ run

Sun- No run

I don't typically run anything under 400s when training for a 2 mile time trial, but I don't really train specifically for the APFT.

I can't comment on the run portion of the test as Im a terrible runner but I have experience with cals and lifting weights.

When you can bench your body weight for 3 sets of 5 reps you will probably max out the push ups.

I did 82 push ups and my normal bench work out is

45lbs x 10

135lbs x 5

135lbs x 5

155lbs x 5

Then my work weight for 3 sets of 5(currently 185lbs).

Then I drop to 135lbs and do 3 sets of 10.

For the sit up portion there is no better core workout than heavy deadlifts and squats. I did 87 sit ups.

Now all that being said, you will put on weight lifting heavy and it does slow your run down so you may have better success with a cal based program, but that's been my experience.

Now all that being said, you will put on weight lifting heavy and it does slow your run down so you may have better success with a cal based program, but that's been my experience.

This is precisely why I take a crossfit style approach when coaching individuals toward raising a PT score. I also believe it strongly depends on what you are doing outside of physical prep for the PT test. Im all about functional strength for multiple applications. Cal based programs with integrated and appropriate weight lifting is optimal.

• Like 1

Any advice on stretching before push-ups? I did some mild stretching and was knocking some out last night, going fast, and apparently pulled a muscle somewhere along my left tricep because it hurt like hell when I got down to pump some out this morning. Gonna give it a few days and focus on sit ups and running, and then get right back to it.

Any advice on stretching before push-ups? I did some mild stretching and was knocking some out last night, going fast, and apparently pulled a muscle somewhere along my left tricep because it hurt like hell when I got down to pump some out this morning. Gonna give it a few days and focus on sit ups and running, and then get right back to it.

One of the best warm ups for pushups is jumping jacks.

Another is to place both arms behind your back holding your hands in the small of your back. Proceed to push your hands toward the ground from the position of the small of your back and hold.

One of the best warm ups for pushups is jumping jacks.

Another is to place both arms behind your back holding your hands in the small of your back. Proceed to push your hands toward the ground from the position of the small of your back and hold.

Excellent, thank you!