Not within the last year. I have only been doing calisthenics. Different styles of push-ups and pull ups. Upper body has always been rough on me. I am thin with awkwardly long arms. Think Donkey Kong. Last November right after my APFT I was doing 60 push-ups in 2 min and I noticed it giving me problems. I thought I would just push through it and ended up hurting it to the point I couldn't do much with my arm for a week or two. I have been slow to go back in to my regular work out and I have little confidence in my shoulder which is worse than anything knowing I will be pushing them out regularly in basic.

JMarsh.. I'm no physical therapist but you could have pinched a nerve. Tydaddy has his Doctorate in Physical Therapy and may be able to offer some more insight. I'd shoot him a message and describe to him your problem.

Wish I could help you! Don't keep pushing it if you feel it is an injury.

• Like 1

Some Friday inspiration.

David Goggins also broke the 24-hour pull ups Guinness World Record...with 4,030.

Link: vimeo.com/62031855 (doesn't allow embed)

• 5 months later...

Does anyone here have a take on the insanity program by beach body? Do the exercises relate to what is done at basic? For those who dont know, it involes a lot of jumping and bodywieight movements (squats, up downs, moving pushups). I did three rounds and felt unbelievably agile when I was done. Unfortunately, my strength seemed to dwindle as I lost a lot of mass. I dropped from 210 at about 10-12% body fat to 185 at about 7%. Right now I am doing a mix of insanity and weight lifting.

I re-incorporated more weights into my routine and I am back to about 206-208. Will the fact that I am close to the 203 cutoff matter on my packet? Does anyone know if the board looks down upon people whos weight is borderline? I can definitely get back down to 185-190 but it seems like my body likes to hover at 205-210.

For what its worth my fastest run time for the 2 mile so far is 14:30, pushups are 60 and situps are 65. Still improving on these and hoping that when I actually do the APFT the adrenaline will boost them a little bit more.

Does anyone here have a take on the insanity program by beach body? Do the exercises relate to what is done at basic? For those who dont know, it involes a lot of jumping and bodywieight movements (squats, up downs, moving pushups). I did three rounds and felt unbelievably agile when I was done. Unfortunately, my strength seemed to dwindle as I lost a lot of mass. I dropped from 210 at about 10-12% body fat to 185 at about 7%. Right now I am doing a mix of insanity and weight lifting.

I re-incorporated more weights into my routine and I am back to about 206-208. Will the fact that I am close to the 203 cutoff matter on my packet? Does anyone know if the board looks down upon people whos weight is borderline? I can definitely get back down to 185-190 but it seems like my body likes to hover at 205-210.

For what its worth my fastest run time for the 2 mile so far is 14:30, pushups are 60 and situps are 65. Still improving on these and hoping that when I actually do the APFT the adrenaline will boost them a little bit more.

TABATA, and do PU/SU to standard or they wont count. Practice this in training

I posted some links for PT in the Nov Selection Board thread because I figured doing your APFT is one of the last things you want to do but I'll post the links that helped me train here too. I took my APFT this weekend and scored a 292. I hope I can get a 300 before the Jan USAREC board!

The "Three-Hour" Diet - Military Fitness - Military.com

Prep for Basic (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

Army Basic Training | Prepare for U.S. Army Boot Camp

2012 Army Fitness Standards

Also, look on YouTube for a video called "Max your PT score"

Thanks for the help I.am.specialized! You don't even realize how much reading through this thread helped me in my training!

• 2 months later...

For anyone who doesn't like going to a gym and needs to lose weight and get in shape for their WOFT packet here's what I did.

I've been over 200lbs since about 8th grade and I'm 31 now. I'm now 165lbs with a 275 pt score. 100pu/100su/75run. I did 2 rounds of insanity and am currently doing T25. For the pushups and situps I'll do a set of tabata for each. Running was the hardest part for me, because I don't like it- I just followed some workouts I found on military.com and the minutes fell off. I also followed the insanity diet exactly for the first 6 weeks and pretty well keeping up with it now. I'll probably have a problem in BCT because I eat about every 2 hours now but I'll survive.

INSANITY is intense and while I didn't have any injuries- my wife had to stop because her knees couldn't take the jumping. I'm pretty fortunate she's a physical therapist but that just means I don't get any sympathy.

p.s. anyone want to a buy a bowflex?

http://hundredpushups.com/

http://www.twohundredsitups.com/

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

Even though these are meant to be done individually, I do them as sets in the sequence of Pushups/Squats/Situps, with no rest between each exercise and a 15 second rest between sets. I did them as a warm up to my workouts during last deployment, but they are effective for people wanting to increase their reps on pushups/situps, and the squats will benefit you slightly on your run, but combine it with a 5K running program and the PT test will be a joke.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/Intermediate-5K-Training

• Like 1