minimum hours going up?

jeffs

So I was reading about upper limit aviation, researching schools, and they have a article where the co-owner is saying that the FAA is upping the minimum flight hours to 1400.

Now looking at this some things pop up to me good and bad.

More hours mean quicker at getting the job you may want.

but could minimum hours go up for insurance then?

Of course this is going to make it more expensive

so that means less guys will be able to afford it like myself even with my gi bill.

How much do you thing this will cost now to get all your certs.?

How long until VA cuts this benefit from the gi bill?

Any input would be great.

1500hrs for a commercial in Aug 2014? I think the author is confusing the fixed wing requirements for ATP thinking they apply to helicopter pilots?

Here we go with this line again......"the company has been expanding quickly because many pilots are reaching retirement age and there are not enough new pilots to fill the jobs they will leave vacant." That line is a COMPLETE sales gimmick

“The gap between 300 hours and 1,000 hours is a really hard gap to close,” he said. “We help our students do that by giving them instructor hours so they can immediately transition into the commercial industry. While students are assured a position in the aviation industry, they will pay a high price to get certified. The cost of the program ranges anywhere from $80,000 for a simple pilot’s license to $300,000 for special certifications such as mountain terrain navigation for helicopter pilots."

This has to be the best one though.... $80K for a simple license, $300,000 for mountain terrain navigation :D Im sorry..... Did I wake up this morning on another planet?
Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

The article obliquely refers to an FAA initiative to increase the minimum number of hours for SIC's in part-121 (airline) operations to 1,500. This should have little to no effect on part-91 and part-135 helicopter ops, so you're still good.

Yeah I was looking at that too. These prices scare me a little bit. I was hoping to get my associates and my pilot license in 2 years but it looks like it will take 2 years just to get my pilots license. Even at a community college program.

Gordon Birch, vice president of ULA, said the company has been expanding

quickly because many pilots are reaching retirement age and there are not enough

new pilots to fill the jobs they will leave vacant.

“The market is very large right now,” he said. “There are going to be

somewhere in the neighborhood of 7,000 unfulfilled jobs in the aviation industry

in the next three years.”

With so many jobs available, students should have no trouble building a

career as a pilot, Birch said.

“In fact, our company has a 100 percent job-placement rate,” he said.

When students graduate from the program with the 300 hours it takes to get a

simple pilot’s license, ULA immediately hires them to train the next round of

incoming students, Birch said.

Is this a**hole for real!,...and 300 hours to get a simple pilots license!

What the f**k dude!

What the f*ck dude!

Take some valium, and speak like an adult.

300 hours upon graduation from a flight training program is in the ballpark, depending on the person (and the program).

The school hiring their own is the thrust of the statement. Focus on that. The point that the speaker is making is not the number of hours toward a pilot certificate, but that students are eventually hired as instructors.

The speaker didn't elaborate on various levels of pilot certification, as the article wasn't meant for certificated pilots, but the general masses and potential prospective students.

The ATP requirement referenced in the initial post has no impact on flight training in the helicopter industry, nor on the growth, hiring, or movement among helicopters. It's a Part 121 requirement, and won't have much impact on the fixed wing world, either.

• Like 1

Take some valium, and speak like an adult.

300 hours upon graduation from a flight training program is in the ballpark, depending on the person (and the program).

The school hiring their own is the thrust of the statement. Focus on that. The point that the speaker is making is not the number of hours toward a pilot certificate, but that students are eventually hired as instructors.

The speaker didn't elaborate on various levels of pilot certification, as the article wasn't meant for certificated pilots, but the general masses and potential prospective students.

The ATP requirement referenced in the initial post has no impact on flight training in the helicopter industry, nor on the growth, hiring, or movement among helicopters. It's a Part 121 requirement, and won't have much impact on the fixed wing world, either.

So are my tax dollars paying for guys to use the GI Bill to get a rating, or for schools to pad the time to get money? I sure don't think a normal person requires 300 hrs to get a PPL.

That's 300 for the whole program prvt-cfii and then some extras like mountain and vref. I'm in the upperlimit program and it didn't take me anywhere near 300 hours to get my private. That's why it says they hire their students after those 300. There's definitely some lost in translation between the guy who wrote the article and the School.

So are my tax dollars paying for guys to use the GI Bill to get a rating, or for schools to pad the time to get money? I sure don't think a normal person requires 300 hrs to get a PPL.

The school is not making students take 300 hours to get a private pilot certificate. A private pilot certificate is not the basic level of certification needed to go to work as a pilot however. For a pilot to get basic certification to turn around and begin teaching for a college program, a commercial, an appropriate level of flight instructor certification, an instrument rating, and aircraft-appropriate experience is necessary, and that may take in the vicinity of 300 hours or so. Not that uncommon at all.

It's not up to you to determine what the GI bill is used for. The program administrators have determined where the money can be spent, and accordingly, if the program meets the approval necessary to apply the GI bill (and Army College fund, and other payments through other programs), then that's enough.

Part 141 programs that have specified values of hours, progress, stage checks, and other requirements meet the needs specified by the GI Bill. Those progressing through such programs, or even Part 61 training, must still consider the human element, and we all know that most students do not complete training programs with the minimum number of hours.

The FAA may say 40 hours for a private pilot, but we know that 70-80 or more standard.

A student may elect to gain fixed wing and rotor certification. That's going to cost more, but will be considerably less expensive doing it now, than trying to add on later. That means more hours. One student may seek additional certification (CFII, for example) to enable greater teaching opportunities. More dollars, and more hours. Still basic certification for a simple pilot certificate, and other simple certificates at the most elementary level.

300hrs huh? Well lets see. 60hrs for the PPL (just to be generous), 20 hrs for Com, 40hrs for IR, 20hrs for CFI (again being generous), and another 20hrs for CFII. What's that 160hrs total! You need 150hrs to get the Com, but you can do the IR, and CFI/II training while building up to that. So where's the other 140hrs coming from?

My gosh..... what will we do when all the Desert Storm pilots start retiring??? :rolleyes:

I don't even want to think about it...serious pilot shortage. :)

I do think this 1,500 hr ATP requirement will create a shortage for the regionals. Who the heck wants to spend the time and money to get that kind of experience only to make in the low 20s per year? Flying an RJ ain't worth it.

You need the extra 140 cause they fly robbies and those prepare you way more to fly bigger ships cause they are so sensitive

Please god tell me this was a joke.... I cant tell by the lack of punctuation...

There is so much wrong with that company's ad/verbiage whatever you want to call it, it is sickning. It reminds me of that one school... Oh wait they all still use that line...

• Like 2

Please god tell me this was a joke.... I cant tell by the lack of punctuation...

There is so much wrong with that company's ad/verbiage whatever you want to call it, it is sickning. It reminds me of that one school... Oh wait they all still use that line...

I can assure you it wasn't a joke! The R22 is most difficult helicopter to fly ever invented (especially the Mariner) and those who have learned to master it are the world's finest pilots, highly sought after, and richly rewarded!