I Want My BFR!

Guest pokey

That question was posed to me on a check ride. The DPE told me that they changed it for one reason: the Robinson SFAR. I had no idea.

I am not a robbie pilot, but find this interesting, any specifics? I know that the SFAR exists,, but never had any reason to actually read it, i guess this could carry over to the 'other' thread too---not my intention tho.

It wasnt changed specifically for Robbie's, but the fact that some people would literally wait the 24 months to do the review. Some Part 91, 135, and 121 ops require a check every 6 months, so they just started calling a Flight Review for general purposes.

I am not a robbie pilot, but find this interesting, any specifics? I know that the SFAR exists,, but never had any reason to actually read it, i guess this could carry over to the 'other' thread too---not my intention tho.

Guys,

The SFAR uses the term flight review. It is required every 12 months so the "B" was not used. I believe for uniformity the FAA dropped the "B" wording knowing that the 24 month requirement and the SFAR 12 month requirement were understood with or without a "B" word.

Others used the word Biannual incorrectly. Some thought that the "B" word meant twice a year. A confusing term that did not apply to all situations was dropped, I believe in 2006(?).

Also as Wopilot stated for uniformity across the board.

Mike

Edited by Mikemv

Guest pokey

i know i should research this on my own B4 i ask this, but i am feeling lazy today. Lets say i get my (B) FR in a fixed wing, i can still fly my helicopter for 2 years, but if my helicopter is a robbie, only for one year? Or can i not fly my robbie at all?

Guest pokey

Biennial and biannual do not mean the same thing.

what it is & what it isn't : :huh:

one is twice a year, the other is once every 2 years,,, but that still doesn't answer the question of where the B went

Edited by pokey
  • Like 1

i know i should research this on my own B4 i ask this, but i am feeling lazy today. Lets say i get my (B) FR in a fixed wing, i can still fly my helicopter for 2 years, but if my helicopter is a robbie, only for one year? Or can i not fly my robbie at all?

A flight review will only count towards your SFAR73 requirement if during said flight review all topics required in the SFAR and the Flight Review were covered. Also, the log book must reflect that as well.

If you did your Flight Review in the fixed wing then yes you could continue to fly a helicopter. However, that Flight Review did not cover the SFAR73 requirement so once your 12 months is up on the SFAR review you will not be able to fly a Robinson in your case.

In the example you provided, it would be best to do your Flight Review in the Robinson R22/44 and cover the SFAR73 requirements. Then you would be able to continue to fly the fixedwing.

Guest pokey

In the example you provided, it would be best to do your Flight Review in the Robinson R22/44 and cover the SFAR73 requirements. Then you would be able to continue to fly the fixedwing.

I understand that it would be best, but is it actually required that i do it in a robbie?---dunno why this intrigues me as it does, and like i stated earlier, i am not a robbie pilot,,,just trying to educate myself and others at your expense,,,no wait, that didn't come out the way i intended it ( reminds me of that line by Mckenzie Phillips in that movie american grafitti : "your car is uglier than i am")

Not fly a Robbie at all.

You would have to do a FR specific for the Robbie as well.

Best scenario is to just do the FR in the Robbie every 12 months, and you're covered all around.

• Like 1

Guest pokey

Not fly a Robbie at all.

You would have to do a FR specific for the Robbie as well.

Best scenario is to just do the FR in the Robbie every 12 months, and you're covered all around.

i think i get it now,, ty JD and wopilot, i guess i should read SFAR 73, even tho it doesn't pertain to me,,, again--carryover to the 'other' thread.

Unless they changed the SFAR since last I looked at it? If you want to fly an R22 your flight review must be in the R22. If you want to fly an R44 your flight review must be in the R44. You only need to do it every 12 months until you have 200hrs in helicopters/50 in type, then its biennial again.

Passenger currency is the same as well. Gotta love that SFAR!

Taking the "B" out does make sense looking at the big picture, however its still easier to say BFR than flight review,...and saying FR just sounds wierd!, but oh' well?

• Like 2

Why don't you just read the SFAR? It's all right there in plain legalese.... For those of you that are squeamish about the CFR's, I suggest you learn how to read and understand them. This is another weak area. One I had to spend a significant amount of time familiarizing myself with, and still do to this day. Ask ten pilots what the SFAR 73 says and you will get 10 answers of varying correctness. Or you can just read it yourself and get your answer.

A flight review will only count towards your SFAR73 requirement if during said flight review all topics required in the SFAR and the Flight Review were covered. Also, the log book must reflect that as well.

It would not be possible to cover the topics required by SFAR 73 unless you were in a helicopter. Another point for the 300 it seems!

It wasnt changed specifically for Robbie's, but the fact that some people would literally wait the 24 months to do the review. Some Part 91, 135, and 121 ops require a check every 6 months, so they just started calling a Flight Review for general purposes.

I don't believe this is correct. Part 121 and 135 ops have required additional check rides (not flight reviews, and these are most definitely pass/fail) for decades. I don't know how "waiting" for a flight review would factor. The Robinson is the only aircraft that requires you to to do an annual flight review to operate under any part, as far as I know. A check ride is a flight review but a flight review is not a check ride. I cannot document it, but it only seems logical that the Robinson SFAR is the reason for the change.

Funny thing, I just noticed on my chart that there's a VFR Waypoint named after a sports facility who actually changed its name several years ago, but the chart has never been changed! It would seem that the FAA is no better than I am with name changes!

Maybe I will stick with BFR! :lol:

Edited by pilot#476398

That other thread about entry-level pilots (if it can stay on topic) may actually become beneficial to other entry-level low-timers, so I thought I'd start anew to ask this;

Why did they take the "B" out of the Biennial Flight Review?

Why did they take biennial out? The question should be; was biennial ever in?

It you look into the historical record of CFR 61.56 since 1978, the term “Biennial Flight Review” was never in the text of the actual regulation. The term used in the actual text has been “Flight Review” period.

There is no requirement for pilots who had completed certain proficiency checks and ratings within the preceding 24 calendar months to accomplish a separate Fight Review; therefore, the actual text of the regulation never referred to it as a Biennial Flight Review. It took on its “Biennial” street name due to popularity and the common definition and usage of the word itself. Therefore it wasn’t in the regulation, so there wasn’t anything to take-out.

The FAA wants us to refer to CFR 61.56 as the “Flight Review” regulation (Its original name) and drop its “Biennial” street name, but many still use the term BFR because old habits change slowly.

However, we can’t abandon the English Language for a Johnny-come-lately regulation. It’s the general usage of our language to use the term “Biennial” for an event occurring every two years.

The Chief Counsel’s office isn’t apologetic about the term Biennial Flight Review, as to their usage of the term in these 2012 opinions:

Legal Interpretations & Chief Counsel's Opinions 2012

Edited by iChris

Why did they take biennial out? The question should be; was biennial ever in?

It you look into the historical record of CFR 61.56 since 1978, the term “Biennial Flight Review” was never in the text of the actual regulation. The term used in the actual text has been “Flight Review” period.

There is no requirement for pilots who had completed certain proficiency checks and ratings within the preceding 24 calendar months to accomplish a separate Fight Review; therefore, the actual text of the regulation never referred to it as a Biennial Flight Review. It took on its “Biennial” street name due to popularity and the common definition and usage of the word itself. Therefore it wasn’t in the regulation, so there wasn’t anything to take-out.

The FAA wants us to refer to CFR 61.56 as the “Flight Review” regulation (Its original name) and drop its “Biennial” street name, but many still use the term BFR because old habits change slowly.

However, we can’t abandon the English Language for a Johnny-come-lately regulation. It’s the general usage of our language to use the term “Biennial” for an event occurring every two years.

The Chief Counsel’s office isn’t apologetic about the term Biennial Flight Review, as to their usage of the term in these 2012 opinions:

It was never in the regs as "biennial flight review", but pilots just refered to it as BFR on their own, and now the FAA wants us to stop? f**k'n aye! :lol:

That reminds me of when I was a kid and in the book that came with my legos it said "please refer to our product as lego bricks or toys, and NOT legos!"

...or when strippers want to be called "dancers"! :D

The Robinson is the only aircraft that requires you to to do an annual flight review to operate under any part, as far as I know.

SFAR 108 requires recurrent training in the MU2 airplane, but that's the only 2 aircraft that I know of where it's required.

• 4 weeks later...

It was never in the regs as "biennial flight review", but pilots just refered to it as BFR on their own, and now the FAA wants us to stop? f*ck'n aye! :lol:

That reminds me of when I was a kid and in the book that came with my legos it said "please refer to our product as lego bricks or toys, and NOT legos!"

...or when strippers want to be called "dancers"! :D

That is "exotic dancers!". A rose by any other name is still a rose.