Do you like flying alone?

tradford

A local Zeppelin was offering pilots a chance to fly once, about $3,000 bucks for just a half hour of stick time! I guess helium's expensive? From what I've read about becoming a blimp pilot I think I'd have better odds convincing Matt Groening to draw me in piloting the Duff blimp on the Simpsons, then flying one in real life, for hire that is.

Maybe for my birthday...but I doubt it...since she would'nt even get me the P-51 ride in Galveston ;-)

Tradford you look at this one yet?

HELICYCLE • $60,000 • PRICE REDUCED • 2008 Helicycle helicopter, 140 total hours, MicroAir 760 radio, Garmin GPS III, aux. tank, half doors, ground handling wheels, blade holders ( front and back ), associated special tools included. • Contact Jay Glasgow, Owner - located Bedford, IN USA • Telephone: 812-276-9492 . • Posted August 7, 2014

Personally I don't like flying alone until the flight has ended. To explain, every solo flight I make takes me back to my first cross country solo (required for PPL). I remember how nervous I was, and thinking how comforting it would be just to have someone, anyone, in the seat beside me (even a person with no aviation experience). I guess it's a little difficult to explain that feeling to someone that's never experienced it. Honestly, I just feel more comfortable having someone else along to watch for traffic or offer another point of view. Keep in mind I would still be considered a pretty low time pilot, so I guess everything is subject to change.

I will tell you this though. After a solo flight, my confidence is through the roof. On the drive home, while going over the flight mentally, at some point I realize that I just took a flying machine into the sky and made it do what I wanted. I realize that I did this on my own with no guidance or support. To me that's a pretty big deal. I guess it's no big thing to you guys that do this on a regular basis. Maybe it becomes routine, and my 'hat's off to you,' but it really is a pretty amazing thing.

To the OP: now you're talking about my neck of the woods. There are places in North GA that allow you to rent helicopters? That may not have been what you were saying, but it's what I inferred.

SB,

The T62-32 turbine in the Helicyle has a close linear relationship between fuel flow and torque. The transmission has a design torque limit of 160 foot pounds which works out to 15.5 gallons per hour. The red arc on my fuel flow gauge starts at 15 GPH.

Mike

• Like 1

I peruse Barnstormer's pretty regularly. Whenever and XET or HC comes on the market, I ask someone in that respective community about that particular aircraft, and so far - the news isn't great. I checked out the silver XET during the Mosquito fly-in, but I really didn't like the build. Especially after seeing so many stellar examples scattered about the hangar.

I'm running 4-5 hours a month in a 22 as that's about the amount of time I'm willing to devote to it. It's hard to construct an ownership model that comes out better. Besides, I'm finding more folks that want to share the ride and shoulder some of the expense.

PJ - I fly out of the Lawrenceville airport (KLZU) where Blue Ridge Helicopters is located. Ron has a couple of R22s and four or five 44s. Rental rates are very reasonable from what I've heard. I've got permission from the owner of the Dillard House Restaurant to land at their facility tomorrow for lunch. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Tony

I'll share the ride and shoulder some expense. I need to keep current in the 22. I'm at Rucker but I don't mind the drive every once in awhile. Flew with Ron back in...May? June? He's a good guy.

Ft. Rucker - man, that's a haul. Yea, Ron is really good. He's got around 15,000 hours in Robbies and has a great style of teaching IMHO. I'm guessing there aren't many places where you can rent a helicopter.

Nah, Blue Ridge is the closest I could find. There's a place in Florida, but about the same drive if not a little more.

I read that thread this morning. Looks like he's on the fence. Definitely looks like a great buy.

He's afraid of heights he says...some people are.

I was an iron worker earlier in my life - walking four inch wide joists ten stories up. Pretty much flushes out the 'fear of heights' thing. Comparatively speaking, sitting in a Robbie is like walking on the beach.

Me too...

Add to that - with 60 lbs of bolts & spud wrenches on my belt, a 5 pound beater, bull pin and 200' of welding cable in tow or hanging by one hand from a bar joist tail 40' off the ground while pulling torque on an A325 fastener with the other.

AAAARRRRGGG!

• Like 1

Add to that - with 60 lbs of bolts & spud wrenches on my belt, a 5 pound beater, bull pin and 200' of welding cable in tow or hanging by one hand from a bar joist tail 40' off the ground while pulling torque on an A325 fastener with the other.

AAAARRRRGGG!

Yes...the good old days. Don't forget the leather welding jacket and welding overhead in 100/100 weather...working 7/12s.

Never had a welding jacket, but I did have a lot of flux scars on my neck and shoulders. What I remember most about welding was the occasional flash burn - lying in a dark room with chunks of raw potato on my eyes to stop the burning.

Never had a welding jacket, but I did have a lot of flux scars on my neck and shoulders. What I remember most about welding was the occasional flash burn - lying in a dark room with chunks of raw potato on my eyes to stop the burning.

You've never burned you eyes until you've burned them with a 1000 amp automatic TIG system...

• Like 2