Military Flight Training guidance

Hi All,

A few months ago I was selected to attend the Army's flight training program. I have no experience flying helicopters, and would like advice on things I can be doing in the months leading up to WOCS that will better prepare me for flight training. One person suggested buying some books from "The Hanger" and memorizing the 5/9s (study guide and supplement) for the TH-67.

I purchased a two book series (from the Hanger) and the TH-67 supplement and have memorized the Primary One study book (1st of two books) that goes over chapters 5/9 and some of 8, even though there is a slight chance I might not be on the TH-67 when I get there.

I still have two months before attending WOCS and am seeking advice from anyone willing to give some as to what else I can get my hands on that will make it slightly easier for me in the course. TIA

• Like 1

Have you ever flown in a helicopter? Have you researched them at all before applying to the WOCS program? Or just thought it would be cool to be a "military pilot"??

Most folks who go to IERW have never flown anything. They all probably thought it'd be cool to be an army pilot, I know I did anyway.

I recommend finding the nearest *helicopter* flight school and spending the $100ish on a demo flight. That way you can see if it really does rock your world, or if you don't like it at all. It's fairly rare, but there are some people who get to Primary and find out they don't like it at all. Bet they wish they'd spent the $100 to find that out before a year's worth of "suck" (WOCS/OCS, BOLC, SERE, etc). Just had someone in my class give it all up. It's sad, but it's just not meant for some.

I recommend finding the nearest *helicopter* flight school and spending the $100ish on a demo flight. That way you can see if it really does rock your world, or if you don't like it at all. It's fairly rare, but there are some people who get to Primary and find out they don't like it at all. Bet they wish they'd spent the $100 to find that out before a year's worth of "suck" (WOCS/OCS, BOLC, SERE, etc). Just had someone in my class give it all up. It's sad, but it's just not meant for some.

I wonder if that was a "flying is boring" thing, or "holy crap, this is hard, and I don't want to deal with it anymore"?

I wonder if that was a "flying is boring" thing, or "holy crap, this is hard, and I don't want to deal with it anymore"?

He obviously didn't enjoy it enough to want to overcome the challenge.

He obviously didn't enjoy it enough to want to overcome the challenge.

Been away from the forum for quite some time, but wanted to say Lindsey, it's nice to see you've made it down to Rucker! Hope you're enjoying it!

- Jeremy

• Like 1

Been away from the forum for quite some time, but wanted to say Lindsey, it's nice to see you've made it down to Rucker! Hope you're enjoying it!

- Jeremy

Hey Jeremy, thanks! What have you been up to?