How many LOR's?

Good afternoon all, Great site, very thankful for all the information.

I had a question about the LOR's. How many are you supposed to have? From the research that I have found it says I need to have Company commander, Battalion commander, and then a senior Aviator. But when I read the threads from people with the stats of getting selected, they all have more than 3 LOR's. Am I missing it somewhere that says you can/should have more than 3 LOR's? Thanks.

Thread hijack:

I don't really know a lot of people in the military and I know 0 aviators. I'm working other channels to try and get a LOR from them but none of them would actually know me personally. The one close family friend I do have in the military was in the Marines for 20+ years but was enlisted the whole time. How would the board look at his LOR because he wasn't a commissioned/warrant officer but did make it all the way to E-9 SgtMaj? Basically I just want to know if his LOR would actually carry weight.

Thanks

Might be a good 4th LOR.

Why don't you go find a NG/Reserve facility and talk to them? Maybe even join the unit as a part-timer so they can really get to know you, and you can get to know the military, with very little commitment? Lord knows if I had just driven onto FTIG before I went to the Academy my life would've been completely different.

3 to 6 LORs. The more the merrier.

Don't let Lindsey hear you saying that.

I'd rather have 3 really great LORs than 6 middling ones.

You know me too well, Cav. ;)

I had to go back on find my post on the matter, since I haven't had my full cuppa de la coffee yet and thus I'm a fair bit lazy.

No. The more is NOT the merrier. Listen up. The board only gets 90 seconds to 2 minutes to look at your ENTIRE packet. The emphasis is on QUALITY. If they pick one LOR *at random* then it had better be f*cking phenomal. They may only have time to read the first or last paragraph of whichever LOR they pick. The more is not the merrier. You want only phenomenal LORs to be available for them the choose from; they will not be able to read all of them. If you have a choice between 3 and 6 letters, pick 3 that shine. 6 is superfluous.

That advice was given to me by a CW4 who sits on these selection boards and knows what he's talking about. So take it or leave it, but I definitely recommend you heed his words. Let me know if you have questions!

Edit: By all means get as many LORs as you can, but then only pick the best 3 to put in your packet. And really hunt down a CW5 to interview you. It takes work but it's well worth it!

• Like 2

Might be a good 4th LOR.

Why don't you go find a NG/Reserve facility and talk to them? Maybe even join the unit as a part-timer so they can really get to know you, and you can get to know the military, with very little commitment? Lord knows if I had just driven onto FTIG before I went to the Academy my life would've been completely different.

That's something I've thought about, but more of a "I went to selection and was a non-select twice, I should beef up my packet" kind of thing. I have been able to get in touch with a few aviators through networking/Linkedin and I'm sure I could get LOR, but again they don't know me personally so I'm not sure of the quality.

That's something I've thought about, but more of a "I went to selection and was a non-select twice, I should beef up my packet" kind of thing. I have been able to get in touch with a few aviators through networking/Linkedin and I'm sure I could get LOR, but again they don't know me personally so I'm not sure of the quality.

The CW4 that wrote my LOR didn't know me personally, either. I contacted someone I knew in a USAR UH-60 unit about 5 hours from where I lived and drove my happy ass to meet the CW4. I contacted him via e-mail once beforehand, but otherwise everything he wrote about me he gleaned from my ERB and a 30 minute interview he did. Guy wrote a stellar LOR.

Get one from an aviator, trust me.

• Like 1

So for the active duty people. It it states the three you are already supposed to have. Now some of you say pick your best three. So are some of you not following along with what the website says and still getting in? I was going to get my OIC (O3) my CO (O5 former 160th exchange pilot) and my prior CO (O6). I have a work relationship with a CW5 that could probably write me and LOR but he is not a pilot. Is that an issue or does the board just like to see that a Army CWO wrote an LOR?

So for the active duty people. It it states the three you are already supposed to have. Now some of you say pick your best three. So are some of you not following along with what the website says and still getting in? I was going to get my OIC (O3) my CO (O5 former 160th exchange pilot) and my prior CO (O6). I have a work relationship with a CW5 that could probably write me and LOR but he is not a pilot. Is that an issue or does the board just like to see that a Army CWO wrote an LOR?

Shoot me a message. I'm a Marine that was selected in January and I'll help you out the best I can.

• Like 1