Passed w/ 43 need advice (stats)

BLUF: passed the SIFT w/ a 43. Not happy. Anybody else get selected with a similar score? If so, what advice can you offer? (other stats detailed below)

Just wrapped up my SIFT with a score of 43 and I am extremely discouraged to say the least. Really upset with my score because I studied my tail off using the FAA helicopter handbook, the Barron's study guide, the Accepted INC study guide, hand written flash cards, and I scored above 90 on every practice test I could find. I saved the SIFT for last to allow ample study time and it has taken me a year to get to this point where my packet is about ready for submission. Not sure what went wrong but there's nothing I can do about it now but fine tune the other areas of my packet. I would really appreciate any advice that this community has to offer. Thank you all.

STATS

MIL/TIS: AD USAF/6 YEARS E-5 

GT: 111

SIFT: 43

APFT: 294

LOR: O-5, O-6, CW5 (aviator)

EDUCATION: 44 CREDITS TOWARDS BS/2.9 GPA

PHYSICAL: STAMPED NO WAIVERS

NO MORAL WAIVERS

Put it in and see what happens. I would say your chances based off your GT and SIFT are quite low since both scores are barely over the minimum but that can be made up for in other areas of your packet if the board likes what they see. The worst that happens is you don't get selected. Don't let all your time and effort go to waste now and not submit it. 

GT is not a factor. It is not included in your packet before the board. Look at the checklist. If you are sister service it is on the REDD report which is part of the qualifications section (supporting documents). That section of the checklist is to verify you have the minimum qualification to apply for Warrant Officer selection. I don't know why so many people are hung up on GT. The minimum score is a value that you only need to be above. Don't worry about it so much man, I have viewed almost every page I can find on the internet and there are numerous examples of people with low everything to include GT and SIFT. You have an EXCELLENT APFT score so that is a great start. Work on fine tuning your packet in your resume and letters of recommendation. Specifically key on your resume summary as it is one of the only areas you can address the board directly on why you are such a great candidate. Your LORs can be great platforms for this as well but are more limited due to whether the recommendation authority knows you well and document format. My advice is to forget about your SIFT score now and move forward. Almost every packet will have weakness. Best of luck!

Edited by gravityrideseverything
Added a word
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thedude said:

Your ERB is included in the packet the board sees and it has your GT score on it.

Sister service have different scores which do not include Army GT conversion, exactly why we have to request the REDD report. On my version of the ERB it shows my service computation or version of GT which is calculated differently. All services compute those values differently. How would you compare everyone? I would bet that 25% of each board is sister service. That would not be fair would it? If this was included, the REDD report would be in the top section of the checklist along with everything else the board can see. Like I said before the board can't use it as a factor for selection. 

The board members can use whatever they want to make selections. For Army soldiers their ERB is included in what the board sees, therefore the GT score is included unless that section is blanked out. I've seen guys not selected on promotion boards or for special assignments simply because their DA photo looked bad. 

Regardless of all that, Aricamp needs to submit the packet and let the board make the choice rather than disqualifying himself by not applying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thedude said:

The board members can use whatever they want to make selections. For Army soldiers their ERB is included in what the board sees, therefore the GT score is included unless that section is blanked out. I've seen guys not selected on promotion boards or for special assignments simply because their DA photo looked bad. 

Regardless of all that, Aricamp needs to submit the packet and let the board make the choice rather than disqualifying himself by not applying. 

I guess they could choose to use the value but I think most common sense personnel on the board would not compare candidates based upon values not everyone has. 

I agree wholeheartedly that they should apply. There are many people who take the SIFT and never pass. Let the board decide if you are qualified. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing you can do about the SIFT at this point. No reason to count yourself out, though. I had several friends at Rucker with scores in the 40s, one as low as 41. If you happen to not get select the first time around, I would say GT could be a place for improvement.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...