I completely understand that what happens at SERE stays at SERE and that all personnel sign an NDA. However, I’m just curious what happens if you don’t make it, or when/if you break? I feel like if I’m put in a small enough box (as I’ve heard happens) I may freak out, I don’t know though. Do I then get dropped and my aviation career is over? Is SERE considered a “gate” school for flight? 

For different reasons, a lot of people "freak out." However, they generally always get through the school. You may have some fun 1 on 1 motivation to get through the scenario, or worst case you're recycled. Really just have to consciously quit to fail. 

SERE was the best training I ever got in the military, aside from flight school itself. I was one of the lucky ones who got to do it twice: B+ on the first run and the full C course when I went back to Rucker after they got the resistance lab up and running. Still great training both times. There's a few not so fun days. I got really sick both times I was in the field for unrelated-to-the-course reasons and was absolutely miserable through it all, but it was really valuable and any suffering that you experience there is nothing compared to the those who've done the real deal.

While it is a mandatory pass school, it is not a weed out school. As was said before the instructors really care about the training, also the purpose is to train you not to try to make you quit. They want to give you tools to use if necessary not to see how many they can make wash out. It is really good training and really isn’t that bad of a time now that I can look back on it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The school is designed so that you can learn about yourself and learn what you need to pass. As others said, they want you to learn and pass, not fail you or weed you out. You wouldn’t be the first or last person who isn’t a fan of certain things to go through SERE just fine. I frankly think it would be great if everyone going OCONUS went to this course as I was amazed to find out what I didn’t know after ~10 years in the military. 

• Like 1