For the more experienced in this group or those who have recently graduated flight school - Please share any thing information related to advice for things you wish you would have known, or things you wish you would have purchased sooner. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Rat_Taylor said:

I’m looking forward to seeing what comes up, I’ll be headed to Rucker for WOBC/IERW in January. 

I'm sure we'll cross paths then, looking forward to meeting you! I just looked and seen that you graduated WOCS back in March, why the huge delay?

• Like 1

An ipad mini if you don't already own one. Having all the Army publications and reference materials in your pocket or flight bag is really nice and it's extremely simple to air drop between each other to make sure you always have the most up to date stuff. Once you get to a unit you'll likely get a free foreflight account which only works on Apple devices. 

4 minutes ago, Thedude said:

An ipad mini if you don't already own one. Having all the Army publications and reference materials in your pocket or flight bag is really nice and it's extremely simple to air drop between each other to make sure you always have the most up to date stuff. Once you get to a unit you'll likely get a free foreflight account which only works on Apple devices. 

Should I worry about getting one with cellular capabilities or will a regular ipad mini do the trick? also, any go-to accessories that I should track down - I think I read somewhere that a kneeboard is a must?

28 minutes ago, Lumin said:

Should I worry about getting one with cellular capabilities or will a regular ipad mini do the trick? also, any go-to accessories that I should track down - I think I read somewhere that a kneeboard is a must?

The cellular versions have a real GPS chip so they can show your real time position on fire flight charts and approach plates which is nice. That works without having an active data plan for the device. 

I don't use a knee board with mine, it's more of a reference tool in the cockpit than an actual item I use frequently. A lift guy flying instruments might use it more often. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thedude said:

The cellular versions have a real GPS chip so they can show your real time position on fire flight charts and approach plates which is nice. That works without having an active data plan for the device. 

I don't use a knee board with mine, it's more of a reference tool in the cockpit than an actual item I use frequently. A lift guy flying instruments might use it more often. 

Interesting - thank you! Anything else you can think of?

The app good reader it's basically what everyone uses here to organize files and easily manage them. 

Look into a quality kneeboard. There's some niche shops on etsy or Instagram that make an expensive, but for me far superior to what you can find at the hangar. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lumin said:

I'm sure we'll cross paths then, looking forward to meeting you! I just looked and seen that you graduated WOCS back in March, why the huge delay?

Likewise, looking forward to training too! 
I’m GA National Guard, I was selected in January and got a short fall slot to WOCS in February so I had to wait around for a date since everything for the FY was taken.  Just got notice last week, I’m going in January. 

• Like 1

Keep up with your logbook and triple check your CAFRS closeouts.  I got lazy one year and lost a couple hundred hours of flight time because of it.

Make sure you are clear with your HRC manager what your intentions are and what assignments you would like.  You may or may not get it, but they don't know what you don't tell them.  Keep an eye on their web page as well, often time there are oddball assignments posted there that you might be interested in.

Take your EPs and IIMC training seriously.  You will be faced with emergencies, and there's no telling which ones or when they will happen.  Know them well, because the heat of the moment is the wrong time to be trying to recall EPs or floundering through an IIMC recovery.  The most routine flights can end up being killers.

Start working on your ARMS stuff as soon as you inherit an additional duty that needs it.  Square that sh*t away and you wont have to work long hours in the weeks leading up to an inspection trying to catch everything up.

Just about everything you will do has an applicable regulation or FM.  Don't wait to "be trained" on something, just go start finding answers and asking questions.  

In line with the above, if you're giving someone an answer make sure to show them the source.  If you can't recall where it came from, sit down and find it with them.  It will sharpen you as well as give you credibility.  That's the whole game as a Warrant Officer, and if you're an O-grade it will help build trust with the WOs you are leading.

Lastly, enjoy where you're at.  You worked hard to get there and you're doing something few people get to do.  You wont be doing it forever and it's easy to lose sight of that when morale is low.  A few years down the road you're going to forget most of the small stuff so try and focus on the big picture.

Edit:  As far as gear goes, best way to feel warm on a cold night is to keep the back of your neck covered. ;)

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 5

A lot to unpack in this question besides the kneeboard i posted earlier.

My must haves:

Finger Light

Pen holder that velcros to the arm.  Super handy, especially with the combat shirt

Foreflight, with a badelf gps receiver or stratus.  Yea i know they have built it GPS but that sh*t cuts out pretty often.  Try flying with foreflight on your phone, good luck.

Have Alse put a hear through on your helmet when you can

Oregon aero hush kit.

Whatever big bag you get to travel with, make sure it has wheels, waterproof helps.

Gerber…youd be surprised how often you will use it

Must knows:

Show up with at least baseline knowledge.  If you explain to me that airspace goes from A-G from the ground up based only on altitude, we’re off to a bad start.  I expect you to know at least who you should be trying to talk to when flying, not being able to draw a diagram of the entire fuel system.

If an IP asks you the “im a drop of oil” question.  They most likely arent well liked by anyone.

You will get additional duties, excel at them, they write your OER

Be an asset not a liability.  Dont be the guy we have to worry about getting drunk and doing dumb sh*t

You’re reputation will follow you.  Everyone knows everyone in aviation.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, StockTrader said:

A lot to unpack in this question besides the kneeboard i posted earlier.

My must haves:

Finger Light

Pen holder that velcros to the arm.  Super handy, especially with the combat shirt

Foreflight, with a badelf gps receiver or stratus.  Yea i know they have built it GPS but that sh*t cuts out pretty often.  Try flying with foreflight on your phone, good luck.

Have Alse put a hear through on your helmet when you can

Oregon aero hush kit.

Whatever big bag you get to travel with, make sure it has wheels, waterproof helps.

Gerber…youd be surprised how often you will use it

Must knows:

Show up with at least baseline knowledge.  If you explain to me that airspace goes from A-G from the ground up based only on altitude, we’re off to a bad start.  I expect you to know at least who you should be trying to talk to when flying, not being able to draw a diagram of the entire fuel system.

If an IP asks you the “im a drop of oil” question.  They most likely arent well liked by anyone.

You will get additional duties, excel at them, they write your OER

Be an asset not a liability.  Dont be the guy we have to worry about getting drunk and doing dumb sh*t

You’re reputation will follow you.  Everyone knows everyone in aviation.

Thank you for all the information! Super helpful. Do you have any recommended guides that should be studied prior to arriving?