Is this a good time to start training as a helicopter pilot?

Logan

Is this a good time to start training as a helicopter pilot?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good time to start training as a helicopter pilot?

• Now is a better time than ever before to begin your training.
    • Times are tough for low time pilots. Jobs are scarce, and flight time is more expensive than ever.
    • Depends on the individual.

Is this a good time to start training as a helicopter pilot? I feel the need to create some awareness for new guys taking the first step into this industry. Becoming a helicopter pilot takes a lot of sacrifice and people don't seem to give it enough consideration. It's a long, twisty, dark road ahead of you. And beware, the odds are completely stacked against you!!

Even though I love my job flying, I can honestly say that I may have given much more consideration to this career choice had I known how hard the lifestyle was going to be. If I had to start my training over now with the recession going on, my choice would have definately been "NO".

It would be nice to read some of the sacrifices pilots have made on their journey. It would be inspirational to learn of the success pilots have achieved as well.

Edited by Logan
  • Like 1

I chose the 3rd option because it is exactly right. I don't "need" to score a great job right out of the gate. I am lucky in that way, believe me everyone, I know how lucky I am. I have a wife who has a great job in IT, and I have my retirement from the Army. That means that if I am lucky enough to get on as an instructor, I will be just fine. If I was getting trained to fly as a sole means of putting food on the table, maybe I wouldn't be so wiling to jump in. Aww who the hell am I kidding! I still would! My risk tolerance is pretty high though.

Whiteshadow

I'll have to go with the 3rd as well. I was 18 when I started. I'm not married, have no kids, and can (and have) gone pretty much anywhere I want at a days notice (My current job called me on a friday, I moved 10 hrs away by sunday). I can also afford to live on pretty much any pay. However if I had a family and a lot of debt from college/house/cars/etc? I would probably think a bit harder about it.

If I was a single drifter, I would do it no matter what. However, I happen to have a wife, kids, a house, a commitment to the Air Force, and all the expense and responsibility that comes with it. I have the wifes blessing to follow my dreams, but I refuse to put them out on the streets due to a lack of planning on my part. In otherwords It would not be the best time for me, I know that and therefore sit impatiently waiting for a better time. Meanwhile I am trying to do everything I can to prepare (networking, studying the books, checking out all options, trying to pay bills off, going to heli-success! ect.)

There probably will never be a perfect time to get into the industry but like the lottery, you can't win unless you play.

• Like 1

It really depends on the individual's current situation. As with any career, the younger you are the better. Most people have no idea of the level of financial and personal sacrifice the this career path involves. I could write a book on this topic just based on my own personal experiences.

Running a flight school, I get calls from people every day who have the desire to be helicopter pilots, but unfortunately lack the means to pull it off financially. The really sad thing is that this is already the case before they ever set foot in an aircraft. They might actually turn out to be really good pilots, but often their poor financial planning and situation make that decision for them. Many people I talk to are already seriously financially overextended, to the point that they can't even afford their first discovery flight.

With all that being said, now is usually a better time than later if you are thinking about starting down a career path. Just be aware of the obstacles and don't get up to your ears in debt. This career path is well suited for single individuals with no dependents. Having a family and other obligations doesn't make it impossible, but it usually adds to the challenge. I always tell people to do plenty of research, know what they are getting into, then try to be the best possible pilot you can be.

• Like 1

D) All of the above.

Now is a good time to start. With all the vietnam vets going away (at least 1/2 are gone and many soon to be) there is going to be alot of openings. Sure, somone new cant expect to fill most of the rolls they vacate, those are mostly top tier spots. But others will move up and the triclke down effect will be mean more entry level jobs opening up.

However, flight time is very expensive right now. Military is an option everyone should be entertaining. Expect to spend at minimum 60k on your ratings. Ive heard some that spent 100k. Work like hell to impress your flight school. Treat every day you fly like its a job interview. If you dont get a job instructing there it is going to be an even tougher road. Most flight shool like to hire ex-students as instructiors because they already know them, and the student already knows the company policies, people, aircrft, surroundings etc. Plan on making very little $ until you hit 1200 hours. Which could be 1 year, or could be 3.

As the third bullet says, the individual makes all the difference.

If you have a family I would reccomend you go military unless you care in a situation where your family can survive with 60k in eexpenses and virtually no income from you for the next 3 years.

• Like 1

Now will always be the best time to start,...because it may take a lifetime to get in!

...With all the vietnam vets going away (at least 1/2 are gone and many soon to be) there is going to be alot of openings. Sure, somone new cant expect to fill most of the rolls they vacate, those are mostly top tier spots. But others will move up and the triclke down effect will be mean more entry level jobs opening up.

When will they finally stop dangling this carrot in front of our noses! <_<

• Like 1

You can't return past, you can't predict future - now is definitely the best time to start.

Well, I can't predict the future but our economy is going to get much worse than it is right now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Now may not be the best time to start training in my opinion.

Edited by Logan
  • Like 2

"Now is a better time than ever before to begin your training." Can not be true, unless you think somehow all the bad periods in the industry are past and it's all good from now on. A newly minted Helo Com pilot still has to get the magic 1000-1500 hours somehow while not being 'widely employable". Even then will, that pilot be the first neck to chopped when employers downsize.

"Times are tough for low time pilots. Jobs are scarce, and flight time is more expensive than ever." is true now, always has been true and always will be true. Perversely, that proves that now is THE TIME to start.

"Depends on the individual." True now, then, and forever. A workable plan and tremendous good luck has always been required for the persistent (or deluded) individual's progress to becoming a professional helicopter pilot, so I selected this as the 'most correct'.

Becoming a working helicopter pilot was never a rational career decision. Pick whatever period you believe to have been "the best" and you will find the vast majority of those starting the process never completed it. Of those that 'finished' the flight school process, another huge majority never became journeyman (widely and generally employable working) pilots.

As to the economy, I agree with Logan that it is going to get much worse. Success doesn't follow a herd mentality or conventional wisdom. You get where nobody else is by leaving everybody else behind.

• Like 1

I voted "depends on the individual"

You will probably never hear me say "it's a good time to start heli training" because it probably will never be a good time to take out an unsecured loan for an ungodly amount of cash and count on finding a job when you're done. You'd be better off taking that unsecured loan and going to Vegas. There are just too many variables to make a broad, over-reaching statement like "it's a great time to potentially throw away your money."

That being said, if you're young, you have access to money, you have a solid backup plan and remember to stay flexible in your lifestyle, then yes, now's probably as good a time as any. It will still be a long hard road, and I'm not even talking about learning to wiggle the sticks. This will be, for many people, the first time they've ever had to build professional contacts. In a small community such as this, there isn't much room for error in the reputation department, and a good reputation with the right people can serve you well. Nolapilot has the right idea. Once you have your CFI in hand, be ready to move at the drop of a hat anywhere in the country. Be willing to do any SAFE job, and do it right away.

If your wife, your kids, your house payment don't allow you to do that, becoming a professional helicopter pilot is probably not the wisest course for you. My buddy in the Marine Corps always tells me "Semper Gumby". Always be flexible. Words to live by, imo.

• Like 3

“The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is

the price we must pay for success.”

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

-Vince Lombardi

There never has been, nor will ever be, a good time to get into this business. Once you wrap your head around this, then you can decide if this is right for you….

This business is not for everyone and just because you want to be in this business, doesn’t necessarily mean you should be in this business.

Golden rings are not handed out when you fly helicopters for a living. For most, after a few thousand hours, it becomes just like anything else, a job. And, practically speaking, a low paying job at that. However, something worth considering, what is your current and future income potential? Is it greater than, or less than, what this industry will provide? Only you can answer this…

On the other hand, if you truly love flying helicopters and can’t see yourself doing anything else for a living, then the saying goes, “choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

There is risk with most worthwhile endeavors. Some cost far more then the required amount for a CF-double-I.

The thing is; you only get one chance in life. I certainly don’t want to live in fear of what could happen…

If I could, I’d vote for “all the above”……

Edited by Spike
  • Like 4

I respect what you guys are saying and your right about everything. But lets think about it in a different way. Lets say you have the same individual, with the same will, same skill-set, same bank account and same eagerness to become a pro heli pilot. If you were to go back in time 10 years from today and look at the value of a dollar and the opportunities available for a helicopter pilot, compared to 5 years from today and then compare that to today... it would be harder to become a pilot right now than ever before. Although I appreciate the optimism and good advice for the new guys, this is not the best time to become a helicopter pilot. EVEN for a pilot with the will of Rudy, you are facing a low chance of becoming a pilot.

Unless you are willing to take an 80K dice roll and walk away unphased, you need to forget about this dream. Chances are HIGHLY stacked against you! New guys... you think your smart enough? Being smart isn't enough. You think you have the will? Having the will isn't enough. You think becoming a pilot is all about learning how to handle the controls? LMFAO!!!!! Boy-O-boy are you in for a rude awakening. If I had to give the very best candidate odds, they would be as follows: [8 out of 10 chance you will fail]

Sorry Rudy, but you will never become a helicopter pilot because of two reasons:

1.) Your will isn't enough to overcome the treachery in this industry.

2.) You can't reach the pedals. :lol:

RUDY.jpg

RUDY!! RUDY!! RUDY!!

Edited by Logan
  • Like 3

"I would rather have tried and failed, than never have tried at all....."

There are already a few things in my life that I look back and "wished I would have done". Crab fishing in Alaska, trying to open my own business, leaving civilization behind for a while to be a mountain man. I have come close to death a number of times (mostly due to my Army experience). Those experiences only solidified my belief that we have got to make the most of this one chance we have at life. I am very fortunate to have a wife who fully understands that I am a restless soul, who needs adventure and risk. She understands me enough to not be surprised at all when I have the next cooky idea in the chute.

I have 4 kids. I believe they are being shown that you need not be afraid of lifes challenges. Embrace them. The reward is all the sweeter in the end when the journey is an arduous one. I have a 9 year old who is chomping at the bit to go with me on my next 14'er bid. I have a 10 year old who has known for years now that she WILL be an architect one day.

Not trying to wax poetic on all you guys and gals. Just want to opine on the importance of following your dreams and reaching your goals. If one man can do it another can too! I see helicopters all the time. Someone is flying it! If that person can.......................

Whiteshadow

• Like 4

"I would rather have tried and failed, than never have tried at all....."

There are already a few things in my life that I look back and "wished I would have done". Crab fishing in Alaska, trying to open my own business, leaving civilization behind for a while to be a mountain man. I have come close to death a number of times (mostly due to my Army experience). Those experiences only solidified my belief that we have got to make the most of this one chance we have at life. I am very fortunate to have a wife who fully understands that I am a restless soul, who needs adventure and risk. She understands me enough to not be surprised at all when I have the next cooky idea in the chute.

I have 4 kids. I believe they are being shown that you need not be afraid of lifes challenges. Embrace them. The reward is all the sweeter in the end when the journey is an arduous one. I have a 9 year old who is chomping at the bit to go with me on my next 14'er bid. I have a 10 year old who has known for years now that she WILL be an architect one day.

Not trying to wax poetic on all you guys and gals. Just want to opine on the importance of following your dreams and reaching your goals. If one man can do it another can too! I see helicopters all the time. Someone is flying it! If that person can.......................

Whiteshadow

Nicely put..

• Like 3

People come to our school all the time that believe they can't "pursue their dreams". We have one student that drives her motorcycle the 30 miles to take a lesson. She's not rich. She works hard for every lesson and it shows. We have people with kids that are making ends meet and squeeze every dime to fit in a few lessons a month. Get a good school that treats you well and doesn't waste your money and time and you will do well. Even if it takes a few years.

Is it a good time? Some will say yes, some will say no...truth is nobody knows for sure.

• Like 1

I'd say it depends - can you stomach another 20 years flying that desk? If not then yeah, now's a better time than later when your soul is completely gone, filed away in a dark basement in corporate America.

That's the situation I'm in. I have a backup career pushing electrons around if I need it. I'm not going to starve to death if flying for a living doesn't work out. But goddammit before I die* I'm going to be able to say "I was a helicopter pilot".

*unless I have a really bad instructor I guess. ;)

I'd say it depends - can you stomach another 20 years flying that desk? If not then yeah, now's a better time than later when your soul is completely gone, filed away in a dark basement in corporate America.

That's the situation I'm in. I have a backup career pushing electrons around if I need it. I'm not going to starve to death if flying for a living doesn't work out. But goddammit before I die* I'm going to be able to say "I was a helicopter pilot".

*unless I have a really bad instructor I guess. ;)

Or you could spend 70-90k and never get a job after getting all of your ratings, knowing inside that you are no more than a pseudo professional helicopter pilot. And end up flying your desk for the next 20 years anyways (and there are a lot of you out there that have failed to become professional).

I guess you never know until you try though. And your attempts will definately benefit the CFIs that are working towards that magic number. To all the Rudy's out there... thanks for giving it your all! You can live vicariously through the rest of us. I should be encouraging people to start training instead of trying to dissuade them. I must sound like a complete *sshole right now. :P

Edited by Logan
  • Like 2

Or you could spend 70-90k and never get a job after getting all of your ratings, knowing inside that you are no more than a pseudo professional helicopter pilot. And end up flying your desk for the next 20 years anyways (and there are a lot of you out there that have failed to become professional).

I guess you never know until you try though. And your attempts will definately benefit the CFIs that are working towards that magic number. To all the Rudy's out there... thanks for giving it your all! You can live vicariously through the rest of us. I should be encouraging people to start training instead of trying to dissuade them. I must sound like a complete *sshole right now. :P

If you don't ever start, you never finish, that's the only certainty in life.

Somewhere there's a commercial pilot accumulating hours that will take two of the 4 seats that will open at my base in the next decade. Most likely, 3 of the 4 will leave the industry, but 2 definitely will. I don't know who the replacements will be, other than they will be persistent, adaptable, hard working and LUCKY in the process.

There's a educational borrowing rule of thumb that goes something like this: Don't borrow more than half your starting salary...

Edited by Wally
  • Like 2

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will" ~ Vince Lombardi

Since I just realized Spike had already used Lombardi's quote here's a few more...

"Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it." ~Author Unknown

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true were really true, there would be little hope of advance." ~Orville Wright

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe." ~Anatole France

• Like 2

Who am I to say what is, or isn’t possible in your life?

In 1982 there were practically no jobs available for a civilian trained pilot. At that time, most, if not all jobs were occupied by ex-Viet Nam pilots. At the first flight school I attended, of the 8 or so pilots employed at the company, all but one were ex-Viet Nam pilots including the owner of the company (the one was an ex-police pilot). At the time the industry was overflowing with highly experienced ex-Viet Nam pilots. So, no jobs and an abundance of pilots. Sound like a good time to jump in? Just about everyone inside and outside the industry said absolutely not. Did I listen? Absolutely not….

There are million of reasons not to get into this business. Just pick one, the economic downturn, too many unemployed CFI’s, to low of pay, treachery, westerly winds, whatever, just pick one and move on. That is, if you believe it’s not possible for you to succeed or, you do not have the will to make it happen. The world needs ditch diggers too…

Life pursuits are important. If you don’t believe you can achieve the goals you set in life, then simply sit back with the clicker and take what comes to you.

Out of few who provide advice on this forum, some are pessimistic about this business and probably are in situations which make them so. That’s them. Personally, I’m not interested with what they have to say. Pursuing a pro helicopter pilot career is a big decision and I’m only interested in providing people with the tools necessary to make that decision. The tools I use are words based upon my past experience in this business.

While the internet provides a plethora of information, it’s not the place to find the meaning of your life. If the analogy of, the average man only uses ten percent of his brain is true, then I’d suggest talking to ten real people in the industry, face to face, before you make your decision. It’s not hard to talk to an insider and best of all, it’s free… For now…

Two-and-one-half years of night school to get the A&P. Civilian trained and gained a CFI. Was a R22 flight interrupter until I moved on, and on, and on, as required. Here I sit, gainfully employed as a helicopter pilot for most of the past 19 years. My income has quadrupled since my first CFI gig. There is absolutely nutten special about me and I’m not that lucky... It was my will that allowed me to succeed and the cancerous thought of failure never entered my mind…..While I have no say what is, or isn’t possible in your life. I certainly had a say what happened in mine…….

Lastly, while Logan’s reference to the movie “Rudy” is funny, it also provides us with a double entendre. You see, the picture he provided is not Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger. It’s Sean Astin the actor. I’m quite sure Mr. Astin had to compete with many other actors to secure the roll of Rudy Ruettiger in the motion picture. Basically, Sean probably did what he had to do to succeed and out of the many auditions held for the roll, he was the only one selected. Therefore, the other, more significant lesson to be understood is based in real life, not the movies. And consequently, the poignant story of the movie itself teaches us a lesson. That is, when you strive to achieve your goals, sometimes even greater things happen……

Edited by Spike
  • Like 9