Another Low-Time Teaser?

A new job posting. They only want 500hrs! I get excited,...then I read on. :(

Experience in Alaska a must, 200hrs in the R44? That seems pretty limiting? They may as well have said 1000hrs. <_<

This seems to be the latest trend?

People tell me the AG side is a good way in for low-timers. Then I see an ad,...for 5000hr pilots!

I hear Tuna Boats are also a good place to start. Then the ad,...1000hrs!

Then of course there was that 750hr ad. Where did they come up with that number?

Oh well,...back to the fryelator. :lol:

how bout this one?

Hanseo University

South Korea

Hanseo University Flight Education Center is the largest commercial flight training organization in Asia. It’s core function is to produce internationally recognized fixed wing/rotary pilots to FAA standards. The flight education center is situated at an airfield on the coast in the Taean Haean national park 80 miles south west of Seoul.

The Flight Education Center’s helicopter department is currently seeking two FAA helicopter flight instructors. The primary role for these two positions will be to provide helicopter flight/ground training to R.O.K military undergraduate students.

Requirements

· F.A.A CFI - Rotorcraft - Helicopter

· F.A.A medical certificate

· SFAR 73 R22 Instructor endorsement

· Robinson factory course certificate

· 200 + hours total time, although 400 + preferred (helicopter)

· 100 + hours R22 (within the last 12 months)

· Accident/Incident Free

· 175lb pilot weight limitation

· Bachelors Degree from an accredited university

· Excellent command of oral and written English

Conditions

· Competitive salary with bonus pay at the end of first contract

· Overtime pay (based on achieving a minimum of 40 flight hours per month)

· Furnished single occupancy room provided

· Health Insurance

· 2 weeks paid annual vacation per year

· 1 year contract – renewable at employers discretion

Application Information

Pilot resume to include the following items:

· Work experience – start/end dates

· Flight school and formal education – start/end dates

· Height and weight

· Citizenship, instruction experience of any kind and hobbies/interests

Please submit resume to hanseoterry@gmail.com

(No phone calls please. Applications not meeting the requirements criteria will not be accepted)

There are jobs out there for low-time guys, but they don't get posted on this site. I've had two people email/call me with job offers in the past month. Problem is I don't quite have 300 hours. Maybe next year.

Then of course there was that 750hr ad

That was for one of their turbine positions. I know two lads that got hired there not so long ago with less time than you have, flying the 300 on powerline patrol.

I have always heard that tuna boats is a transition job, not so good for low timers.

Ag is possible with low time. Also know guys who got in last year with little helicopter experience. You will be working on the ground for a while though.

Basically, without a CFII your pretty much screwed, unless you get very lucky.

Its funny, every time one of us posts about the inability to find work, there's always others who tell of "That Guy", they know who did get hired. <_<

We've all heard them,... 200hrs flying AG, 250hrs flying ENG, 400hrs pipeline patrol, 500hrs flying tours, etc...

I'm begining to think that "That Guy", is all the same guy, just the jobs are changing? :lol:

I'm also not sure if those posts are supposed to be encouraging,...or just another kick in the teeth? :huh:

Yah, I forgot about that one in Asia. "100hrs in the last 12 months",...that's what did it!

:)

Not trying to kick anyone in the teeth here. But you keep posting the same theme, and I completely understand why. This is a tough game to break into, and anyone who says they've never been discouraged is lying to you.

You've heard it before, but it all comes down to who you know. If you don't know anyone, you're at a severe disadvantage. Trying your damndest to maintain a good attitude will serve you well in this industry. Basically, if you're a halfway likable person, you'll probably catch a break given enough time.

Really it boils down to this: either keep trying, stay current and meet as many people as you can, or move on and find another career.

• Like 1

R22 butters

Time teaser?

If you are looking at the same ad that I am, which I am sure you are, then you need to read a little closer. "have at least 500 hours of remote Alaska 135 flying experience".

There is a big difference in 500 hours flight time and 500 hours remote Alaska 135 experience. This is not an entry level job.

Look at the pay scale and description of the work. He is willing to pay a strong daily rate to an experienced pilot. 200 hours in the R44 is absolutly needed. You would be flying in remote areas of Alaska at high gross weight in unusal flight configurations (like flying sidways over mountian tops), so yes you need to have experience with that aircraft in order to complete the job to standard. This is a filming job, that would include wildlife, so you may only have one chance to get things right.

I am not trying to discourage you. Hang in there, keep looking, you will get your break. Things are starting to loosen up some.

By the way, if there is anyone reading this that is considering applying for that job feel free to PM me as I have worked for him before. If you meeet the qualifications and want to have an experience that you will never forget then APPLY. You will see some of the most amazing things in your life. I only worked with him for about 2 months, but will never forget the things that I had a chance to experience. :D

• Like 1

R22 butters

Time teaser?

If you are looking at the same ad that I am, which I am sure you are, then you need to read a little closer. "have at least 500 hours of remote Alaska 135 flying experience".

There is a big difference in 500 hours flight time and 500 hours remote Alaska 135 experience. This is not an entry level job.

Look at the pay scale and description of the work. He is willing to pay a strong daily rate to an experienced pilot. 200 hours in the R44 is absolutly needed. You would be flying in remote areas of Alaska at high gross weight in unusal flight configurations (like flying sidways over mountian tops), so yes you need to have experience with that aircraft in order to complete the job to standard. This is a filming job, that would include wildlife, so you may only have one chance to get things right.

I am not trying to discourage you. Hang in there, keep looking, you will get your break. Things are starting to loosen up some.

By the way, if there is anyone reading this that is considering applying for that job feel free to PM me as I have worked for him before. If you meet the qualifications and want to have an experience that you will never forget then APPLY. You will see some of the most amazing things in your life. I only worked with him for about 2 months, but will never forget the things that I had a chance to experience. :D

500 Alaska time is almost a standard up there. Depending on what you are going to do and where you will be flying the operator may accept less. But considering the available pool right now, they probably will not unless they get in a bind. The weather up there changes quite quickly and there are few available options in regards to airports and fuel availability. Plus many of the landing areas used would never be considered for use in the lower 48. While the story line is kind of hokey, the terrain, landing areas, weather and the like is well depicted on 'Flying Wild Alaska'. Plus the operating rules are different up there. For one thing, under 91.323 you can fly 15% over gross. You can get approval for fixed wing external load up there. Try that down here. It is a different world and a different mind set.

...Look at the pay scale and description of the work. He is willing to pay a strong daily rate to an experienced pilot. 200 hours in the R44 is absolutly needed. You would be flying in remote areas of Alaska at high gross weight in unusal flight configurations (like flying sidways over mountian tops), so yes you need to have experience with that aircraft in order to complete the job to standard. This is a filming job, that would include wildlife, so you may only have one chance to get things right...

I hate to keep bringing up the old "job market Catch 22", but you can't get that kind of experience unless someone is willing to give it to you. We have to start somewhere? <_<

I have about 76hrs in the R44, its pretty easy to get comfortable with, so what magical thing will happen if I ever reach 200hrs in it? :huh:

• Like 1

I hate to keep bringing up the old "job market Catch 22", but you can't get that kind of experience unless someone is willing to give it to you. We have to start somewhere? <_<

I have about 76hrs in the R44, its pretty easy to get comfortable with, so what magical thing will happen if I ever reach 200hrs in it? :huh:

Butters, you need an IFR ticket and CFI/CFII......and an attitude check.

Edited by B-Hill
  • Like 10

You are right Butters, where do you draw that line, is it 50 hours, 100, 500, who is to say? All that I was trying to get across is that he wants a pilot who is experienced in that aircraft and comfortable flying it.

As mentioned in the post above, if you fly a helicopter in Alaska you will be landing in some very confined area's. So do you have a feel of just how long the R44 is, how high the tail rotor is, how steep of a slope you can land on? Can you land while looking out the door at the tail rotor to make sure it is clear? What about power management? Have you flown the R44 at max gross weight at altitude while flying in unusual attitudes, what about landing at high gross weight at altitude, you may not know where you will land or have time to check your chart in flight so you must know just how high you can land without looking in the POH. Then you have to consider weather, how high of winds can you fly in with the R44? When will the blades start to ice, and how will you know?

Now just one more reason that you need time in that helicopter, what happens when you are in remote Alaska and have a mechanical issue? Say the engine won't start, or you have a tail rotor chip light come on. Do you know the aircraft well enough to diagnose the problem? You may not be able to fix the problem, but you better know what to tell the mechanic that is going to fly out there in another helicopter what is wrong so he can bring the appropriate tools and parts.

I am not posting this in direct relation to your experience, I don't want you to awnser the questions above, I am just trying to make the point that there is a reason why he is asking for 200 hours in the R44. It is more than just being comfortable flying the helicopter, you need to know it in and out for a job like this in AK, but who knows where the hour mark for that experience is, it could be 76 hours, it could be 200, it could be 500, I don't know.

• Like 7

It took me a few years to make it in my prior career. Then i had to retire early. So as hard as it is, try to be patient. I probably make some employers laugh and probably irritate others. One thing I can say is I mail resumes and hand deliver them to operators that I am not even qualified to work for. I have had many positive replies but no job offers. But maybe one day they will need someone with my qualifications and give me a call. All I really want to convey is to keep trying, never give up and it will happen.

Its funny, every time one of us posts about the inability to find work, there's always others who tell of "That Guy", they know who did get hired. <_<

We've all heard them,... 200hrs flying AG, 250hrs flying ENG, 400hrs pipeline patrol, 500hrs flying tours, etc...

I'm begining to think that "That Guy", is all the same guy, just the jobs are changing? :lol:

I'm also not sure if those posts are supposed to be encouraging,...or just another kick in the teeth? :huh:

Yah, I forgot about that one in Asia. "100hrs in the last 12 months",...that's what did it!

Sorry but the ones I talk about are all different "guys" (and girls!). I wasnt going to say anything but just last week a CFII with 190 hours TT landed a CFI job with someone he didnt know a year ago. Its personality and relationships....and the ability to fly.

• Like 2

Pilots cut themselves short if they only apply to jobs which they meet the minimum qualifications. However, some reasonability needs to be taken into consideration.

What’s that mean? If a pilot is within a couple hundred hours of the minimum flight hour requirement, then they should apply. If the “this” time or “that” time deters a pilot from applying, then employment will be fleeting. Employers do not hold firm to the minimums and will be flexible for the right person. Shoot, I’m currently seeking greener pastures and the only positions I’m applying to are the one for which I don't meet the minimums. Like medium PIC time…..

Realistically, there is no down-side to applying (other then rejection which only hurts the ego). The up-side is name recognition (reputation) and networking….

In this business you need to sell yourself. But, by all means, don’t sell yourself short…….

• Like 3

Pilots cut themselves short if they only apply to jobs which they meet the minimum qualifications...

Of the extremely few amount of responses I have actually recieved from employers, the most common is "thanks for your interest, call us when you have more time".

So don't worry, we low-timers are trying almost everywhere, regardless of the posted minimums.

Of the extremely few amount of responses I have actually recieved from employers, the most common is "thanks for your interest, call us when you have more time".

So don't worry, we low-timers are trying almost everywhere, regardless of the posted minimums.

A very good friend of mine had 200 hours, he did a few ferry flights to get up to around 350 (he found some as cheap as $80/hour per person). Theres some on this site and others that I have seen. Once he broke the 300 mark he applied and got picked up at leading edge less than two weeks later.

You know what didn't help him though? Complaining about hour limitations and the difficulty of finding a CFI job on vertical reference. I have been reading these forums for a long time before I started posting and your name sticks out the most, when I see a thread created by you I don't really need to think about what the topic will be. I wish you the best, but why should this be an easy thing to accomplish?

P.S. Theres always the military.

• Like 8

There's more to landing your first flying job than submitting a resume with X number of hours... Operators receive resumes daily with X number of hours and are looking for a resume that stands out from the crowd, something that shows your the type of employee that can and will be an asset to their organization.

One important factor when considering a new employee is attitude, and does he or she project a positive attitude that others would enjoy working with... Employers know one person with a negative attitude can seriously damage a companies reputation, effecting their bottom line...

• Like 1

One important factor when considering a new employee is attitude, and does he or she project a positive attitude that others would enjoy working with... Employers know one person with a negative attitude can seriously damage a companies reputation, effecting their bottom line...

I've only had one interview, but one comment that he made, which I always remember, was how he was impressed with my attitude. In fact he said that's the main reason he invited me out for a face-to-face, where he continued to compliment me on my professionalism!

I guess a lot can change during five years of rejection?

P.S. The military won't take someone with asthma.

You are right Butters, where do you draw that line, is it 50 hours, 100, 500, who is to say? All that I was trying to get across is that he wants a pilot who is experienced in that aircraft and comfortable flying it.

As mentioned in the post above, if you fly a helicopter in Alaska you will be landing in some very confined area's. So do you have a feel of just how long the R44 is, how high the tail rotor is, how steep of a slope you can land on? Can you land while looking out the door at the tail rotor to make sure it is clear? What about power management? Have you flown the R44 at max gross weight at altitude while flying in unusual attitudes, what about landing at high gross weight at altitude, you may not know where you will land or have time to check your chart in flight so you must know just how high you can land without looking in the POH. Then you have to consider weather, how high of winds can you fly in with the R44? When will the blades start to ice, and how will you know?

Now just one more reason that you need time in that helicopter, what happens when you are in remote Alaska and have a mechanical issue? Say the engine won't start, or you have a tail rotor chip light come on. Do you know the aircraft well enough to diagnose the problem? You may not be able to fix the problem, but you better know what to tell the mechanic that is going to fly out there in another helicopter what is wrong so he can bring the appropriate tools and parts.

I am not posting this in direct relation to your experience, I don't want you to awnser the questions above, I am just trying to make the point that there is a reason why he is asking for 200 hours in the R44. It is more than just being comfortable flying the helicopter, you need to know it in and out for a job like this in AK, but who knows where the hour mark for that experience is, it could be 76 hours, it could be 200, it could be 500, I don't know.

Another thing on top of all that is if are you comfortable enough to make those landings without wasting time? After all it's a buisness and revenue flight or not most businesses don't want to pay for the 3 high recon circles taught by a lot of flight schools (disclaimer: I only have experience with 2 flight schools). Obviously some situations require an extra look and any respectable employer understands that.

Also the ag deal - no one is getting a job spraying ag at 250 hours. Sorry I just don't believe it unless the ag company actually trains the student from the ground up or at least trains the student for the commercial liscence. What people are gettin' at 250 hours is a truck driving job that involves loading chemicals and fueling aircraft and driving the spray truck from farm to farm. Then they get some ferry time if the pilots don't mind driving back to the shop or some spray training during the slower parts of the season. Then after a season or 2 they are spraying themselves on some easy fields(flat square blocks with minimal wires) with the actual pilots loading for them. Now there's nothing wrong with this at all. It's a great way to get some great experience, especially if they're spraying with some turbine ships. But no one is getting hired to spray at 250. If you want to go this route get your class B CDL with a hazmat and tanker endorsement, knock on every door you can find (none of these guys advertise online or even have a website if you try to google them) and prepare to work you a$$ off.

I've only had one interview, but one comment that he made, which I always remember, was how he was impressed with my attitude. In fact he said that's the main reason he invited me out for a face-to-face, where he continued to compliment me on my professionalism!

I guess a lot can change during five years of rejection?

P.S. The military won't take someone with asthma.

Is it possible your asthma could be the issue... If you don't think so then...

Enlighten me as to what makes your resume standout from the crowd? What have you personally done that warrants a potential employer granting you an interview other than flying x number of hours?

Employers are looking at the entire individual and the added value their presence brings to the company... Knowing this information, you should be able to review your resume and determine what's lacking, if not then look into one of the free state, county or federal programs that will help sharpen your resume and interviewing skills...