WOFT Application

I know this type of post is extremely common in this forum, but I've personally found them helpful in preparing my own packet. Below are my stats/progress in the WOFT application process.

23 Y/O

Bachelors Degree

PPL in fixed wing; 100 hrs

6 LOR's (1 ret. Army MAJ Pilot, 1 ret. AF Maj Pilot, 1 Retired AF Lt. Col Pilot, 2 Supervisors and 1 FAA DPE)

AFAST: 123 (not thrilled with this score)

AFQT: 98

ASVAB GT: 135

APFT:274

BOARD 75/75

EDIT: Selected

Was just informed today 11/15 that I was selected by the Nov. board. Thanks to any and all who responded and those who post regularly on this forum. I learned much about the process from the posters here; it was an extreme help to me in creating my packet.

NOW the tricky part is: I've been told that you have a 72 hour swear-in window in which you must be on the MEPS floor in order to retain your contract. My recruiting office is telling me they cant get me in until Monday of next week at the EARLIEST (which is out of the 72 hour window). Can anyone comment if this is true?? If it is: what do I do?

• Like 1

I know this type of post is extremely common in this forum, but I've personally found them helpful in preparing my own packet. Below are my stats/progress in the WOFT application process.

23 Y/O

Bachelors Degree

PPL in fixed wing; 100 hrs

6 LOR's (1 ret. Army MAJ Pilot, 1 ret. AF Maj Pilot, 1 Retired AF Lt. Col Pilot, 2 Supervisors and 1 FAA DPE)

AFAST: 123 (not thrilled with this score)

AFQT: 98

ASVAB GT: 135

APFT:271

Currently trying to schedule the battalion board interview.

If you're currently going through this process please write with any questions, I have limited experience here but I may be able to help. The biggest piece of advice I can think of right now is to study complex movements until you can do it well under the 5 min. time limit.

Nice stats dude. I see no reason why you wouldn't be accepted as long as you board well. Don't sweat the AFAST score. I've talked to plenty of warrants that have scored lower and are now pilots.

Nice stats dude. I see no reason why you wouldn't be accepted as long as you board well. Don't sweat the AFAST score. I've talked to plenty of warrants that have scored lower and are now pilots.

Like me...AFAST score is par at 123. Your key to the door lies in your "Why I want to be.." letter, use the right key words and phrases. The LOR'S can weigh heavy too if they come from someone in the inside.

Like me...AFAST score is par at 123. Your key to the door lies in your "Why I want to be.." letter, use the right key words and phrases. The LOR'S can weigh heavy too if they come from someone in the inside.

Thanks for the replies...it really is reassuring to hear that. Do you know if resume is given any weight in this process? I noticed it was optional (which I've translated to 'you better do it') but is the Rucker board even going to look at it?

Although optional, the Resume is highly recommended. At the very minimum, it displays your willingness to put in that little bit of extra work to reach your goals. As Buzzkill noted, make sure it's perfect - presentation matters when you have five days to select ten applicants from a pool of hundreds.

Your stats look good, though. Best of luck in the process!

~V

I'm at WOCS right now, there are people here with 90's. It's a "Go\No Go" kind of deal.

From everything I've gathered. It's those who have great letters of Recomendation, which it sounds like you do, and those who do well at their board that get selected. Don't stress it. If you keep at it, and keep pushing, and don't let people tell you "no" you will get in. I guarantee it. Only those who give up don't make it here.

• 4 months later...

Was just informed today 11/15 that I was selected by the Nov. board. Thanks to any and all who responded and those who post regularly on this forum. I learned much about the process from the posters here; it was an extreme help to me in creating my packet.

NOW the tricky part is: I've been told that you have a 72 hour swear-in window in which you must be on the MEPS floor in order to retain your contract. My recruiting office is telling me they cant get me in until Monday of next week at the EARLIEST (which is out of the 72 hour window). Can anyone comment if this is true?? If it is: what do I do?

• Like 1

Congrats! I've heard something along those lines but if your recruiters can't get you there then I'd just drive yourself dude.

Great job! Congratulations!

I personally am beginning to put my application to together. How did you meet the pilots who gave you the LOR? From scanning this forum it appears there are some current army warrants willing to give you one if you talk to them.

Again, congratulations on fulfilling your dream!

Hey Jester,

I highly doubt the policy has changed, but I was selected in March of this year and had a 10 day window to sign my contract at MEPS. Seventy-two hours seems like a ridiculously narrow window to sign your contract. The reason I know it's 10 days because my recruiter gave me the memorandum that showed that particular month's WOFT selectees (not common practice to hand this out, but that's the "official" announcement and someone somewhere in your recruiter's chain of command has it) and it stated that directly on there.

Again, 72 hours doesn't sound right to me.

Congrats! Thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all-

Turns out the window is definitely larger than 3 days, though I don't know how long it is officially. Shipping in Feb. to Ft. Jackson.

Its late in the process to be asking, but just to confirm: Everyone who graduates from Rucker through the WOFT program ends up as a fully trained aviator, right? I know all of the other branches seperate the MOS's pilot and navigator, but I'm under the impression that Rucker trains you to operate as both and you are not relegated to one position for your 6 year contract.

I'm just trying to confirm that all WO Rucker graduates get stick time at some point during their contract.

Jester, send me your graduation class and date from Jackson if you can, I live in the area and will be back from Rucker at that time. I'll come and visit.

After flight school, you will be a rated aviator and will fly for sure.

Just to brag a little, I just finished the bag check ride, moving on to the fun stuff.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on getting picked up! I was selected from the same board, but don't ship until May.

AFQT 94

GT 130

AFAST 134

APFT 256

Bachelor's

Two graduate certificates, 3.325 GPA

50 fixed-wing hours

LORs CW4, CW5, Captain, judge, former mayor

75/75 oral board

Can't wait to get started!

Take the good with the bad, put in your time, pay your dues, ears open and mouth shut... I think it will be a blast! Wish I could get started sooner, but will put those four months to good use in getting prepared in any way I can.

My packet took 11 months from start to selected and it seemed just about anything that could go wrong, did lol. But for those who want to go this path, never give up, never lose hope, and keep going no matter what.

One thing for those who have been there/are there, is there anything I can do other than sit in a steam room to prepare for the heat and humidity? How much off does it take from your normal performance?