New GoPro model hits the market

swisster

Hi all,

GoPro has just released their newest model, the GoPro HD Hero2, which features among other things a audio input. http://gopro.com

No need anymore to make your own modifications for an external audio input and voiding the warranty.

cheers,

Swisster

• Like 3

Would you have to get a splitter cord of some sort? where you plug it into the IC box then plug your headphones into one of the cords and then plug the other one into the Gopro...

That is what I was thinking. Might have to be a home project with some radio shack supplies, but there may be something out there already that would work. I know we used to have F-16 pilots making side deals with the Avionics troops to build them such cords, only it was opposite. (they wanted to plug in thier music players for long flights).

• Like 2

I use the Echo 4G Smart Pen with the linked headphones & recording mics on each earbud. It has a 3.5mm plug and the earphones/buds could be worn under your headset cups and I think you should be able to hear all the radios. $29.95 Worth a try?

http://www.livescribe.com/store/20070723002/c-142.htm

Mike

I just sold my HD hero do I can buy the new HD hero 2. I use mine ALOT strapped to the stinger bar on my Jeep and other various places outside and around the jeep. The wifi remote feature is a huge improvement in itself, w/o all the other upgrades. No more stopping to turn it on or off. Be nice if I could get a wifi video feed so I can see it inside the jeep.

I just sold my HD hero do I can buy the new HD hero 2. I use mine ALOT strapped to the stinger bar on my Jeep and other various places outside and around the jeep. The wifi remote feature is a huge improvement in itself, w/o all the other upgrades. No more stopping to turn it on or off. Be nice if I could get a wifi video feed so I can see it inside the jeep.

I know it's not the gopro but there is a camera like it on sportys that can do that. It links to your phone and can stream the video there and you can also start and stop it via phone

Just get this camera. It has GPS built in to tell you where that amazing video was taken and plugs right into a headset jack on your aircraft for full audio, ready to go:

http://www.nflightcam.com/

It is basically a souped-up-for-aviation version of these cameras:

http://contour.com/products

I have two of them. They work great.

In the following video clip, check out how the GPS function shows your speed, elevation, and position in real time on Google maps. Zoom in on the map to show even more amazing detail. The audio was not plugged in for this video:

http://contour.com/s...copter-lift-off

As far as the audio pick-up goes, I have tried various things.

First I bought a splitter for 50 bucks or so from Aircraft Spruce, but the R-22 I was flying decided that it did not like it. Every time I would key the mic I got this high pitched squeal in the the headset.

Next up I tried with some suction cup mic device that was made origianly to record phone conversations, but that did not work either because my headset on the outside is not smooth, has like a light texture to it, so the suction cup did not hold. I ended up going to Radioshack, bought the 30 Dollar Lavalier Mic, but the little mic bud inside my headset and voila, I have great audio. Cheap, easy and it works.

]

It is basically a souped-up-for-aviation version of these cameras:

http://contour.com/products

I have two of them. They work great.

This are the way that I am leaning ... Contour+

I looked at the V.I.O HD as well its very spendy but the quality and the field of view is awesome .. the intregrated screen is full function and easyly seen in a variety of lighting conditions.the functional draw back is the long AV pigtail that connects the camera head to the record body.. BUT .. it has the longest record time on 4 AA batteries and that can be supplemented by a hardwired AC/DC power supply that is of course EXTRA but then the only limitation would be the amount of 32GB cards that you can own..

http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html

both the Contour+ and the V.I.O. HD record in 1080p and still multi-shots (2,5,15,30,60 a min)

The Contour+ is a very low profile. with a cool screen option that connects bluetooth style to you droid or iPhone... mounting options are plenty.. either.. strapped on your helmet, mounted to the A/C with a RAM mount to a plex window or .......Ahem.... duct taped to a skid/ stinger... (safety first)....

AND for those with a lust to include ATC/Radio input the Contour+ has an audio-in Jack..already installed..

http://contour.com/products/contour-plus

SO .... although I'm impressed with quality V.I.O. I really like the Coutour+ for the ease of use..

OK thats INMHO my view..

fly safe!

Edited by LostHeliBoy

I came across a really great deal on the contour HD camera for $125 (http://www.hucknroll...rable-camcorder), and decided to take the plunge. I figured for that cheap, I could figure out some audio solutions myself.

So, it came today, and after buying a 3.5mm headphone jack extension wire, I tore the camera apart, cut out the useless built-in mic, and soldered in the female end. Drilled a whole in the bottom and voila, external mic input.

Then I used the male end of the headphone wire and soldered it into my headset, using some heat shrink tube to make it look nicer. Heres what I ended up with.

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

Not too bad for a grand total of $150 including shipping, the audio cable, and some 3m dual lock for mounting it!

The audio works, but I haven't used it in flight yet. I'll be testing it out tomorrow morning!

Rotorwashed how is the image quality at the edges of the frame on your contour? I have friends who have struggled with the lens quality and distorting the image with older models if they have fixed it I might buy one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rotorwashed,

My birthday just passed by and I am now the proud owner of a ContourROAM. I decided on the ROAM because I wanted the tripod mount, and the 170° wide angle lens. I considered the GoPro cameras, but I prefer the lower profile form factor of the Contour.

I'm thinking about doing your microphone mod but thinking I could do it with an aviation jack instead and just plug it into the copilot or passenger ICS plugs.

I'm not sure how I would go about doing this though. Do you have any suggestions?

Hey Rotorwashed,

My birthday just passed by and I am now the proud owner of a ContourROAM. I decided on the ROAM because I wanted the tripod mount, and the 170° wide angle lens. I considered the GoPro cameras, but I prefer the lower profile form factor of the Contour.

I'm thinking about doing your microphone mod but thinking I could do it with an aviation jack instead and just plug it into the copilot or passenger ICS plugs.

I'm not sure how I would go about doing this though. Do you have any suggestions?

wow, thats actually a great idea to plug it into the extra intercom plugs! The modification is fairly straight forward if you are familiar with soldering, especially since you wont have to risk messing around with your headset. Even if you arent familiar with soldering, don't be put off by it, its really not too hard, google it and practice on some broken electronics if your wary about it. The most important thing about soldering in my opinion is to do it clean and correct the first time. As the old saying goes measure twice cut once. Once you make a mess of the solder, its going to be very difficult if not impossible to clean.

Another warning is that you will have to remove the REC and black stickers that are underneath the slider on top in order to open the casing. You could be very gentle with it and might be able to get it back on, but i just left it out and remembered which position is which. You will also have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the camera casing (or wherever you choose) to thread the wire out.

Also you will void your warranty.

If I havent scared you off yet, I would highly recommend doing the mod, the in intercom voice is great in the videos, and really makes the video alot better. Also, if you did it your way, you could even flip on pilot iso and turn off the camera audio if you wanted!

http://ifraggle.com/2009/07/09/tradingwarrantyforaudio/

Here is the write up I used as a guide, but you don't have to do it exactly like he does. Its really just a guide to disassembly and identifying the mic. I opted to solder my new mic input directly to the board, while he splices into the wires already on there. which might be a better option for you if you arent familiar with soldering.

As with all modifications like this, its important to go into it with the right attitude. If you prepare yourself for screwing up and having to completely disassemble it again and redo it, then it'll just be icing on the cake if it works the first time.

Let us know how it works out!

-RW