Heli-Expo 2012 Dallas Texas

I'm just wondering about the job fair. To those who have been: is it mostly operators in the 1500+ hour range or will there be people there a fresh CFI can talk to?

While I cant look at you as a prospective team member unless you meet our minimums, Im more than happy to talk to you at the job fair or any other time at Heli Expo. Second to Heli Success, its a great place to do some research and it is never too early to meet people and start making contacts.

Just thought I'd let you guys know there is a smartphone app for Heli-Expo. I just typed Heli Expo in the android market and downloaded it. For some reason doesn't display full size on my phone but still works and is pretty cool.

Just thought I'd let you guys know there is a smartphone app for Heli-Expo. I just typed Heli Expo in the android market and downloaded it. For some reason doesn't display full size on my phone but still works and is pretty cool.

Very cool! Wish I was using it this year, almost made it but the gov took their sweet time on my return. Hope to see you all next year in Vegas. Can't wait to see the pictures of the new 525 Relentless!

Edited by gary-mike

I'm posting from my mobile so I cant upload my vids and pics but I got part of yesterday and I'll be there today as well if you see a younger guy in a red "saints" hoodie holler at me

While I cant look at you as a prospective team member unless you meet our minimums, Im more than happy to talk to you at the job fair or any other time at Heli Expo. Second to Heli Success, its a great place to do some research and it is never too early to meet people and start making contacts.

Definitely. I will be at the job fair either way. Hopefully I'll see you there!

AD, last year there were only two companies at the job fair looking for CFIIs, not sure about this year but we will be there for sure. None-the-less i highly recommend that you and others visit the job fair to get the feeling of it and make contacts even if you are lower time.. I hope all of you will visit our table at the job fair so we get to meet you, it's the best place to catch everyone..

Swisster, the Golden one and i will pick a spot tomorrow evening and post the location and time here, it depends on other commitments that we will have for the time, but we will certainly get together, this will be the fifth year for me.. can't wait. I will also post photos (tons) both nights when i get back to the hotel for those of you that can't make it..

If any of you that know me want to meet others that i might know, send me a pm and i'll get you hooked up if i can.. this is a great time to network.. (not as good as HeliSuccess, but still good). On that subject, if you haven't made HeliSuccess you should take time to go to Lyn's program this weekend.. it's a shortened version but still the best deal in the industry.. He won the award for communication this year and it's very deserved.. he does this to give back.. and it is awesome!!

hope to see you there..

dp

The relentless 525, it is a mock up of the new helicopter they are building with a 5 bladed main rotor. At least that is what I have read, Bell has been pretty tight lipped about it, but there was an article about it in a Texas newspaper. Wish I was there to see it.

Edited by gary-mike

DP, I'll definitely be there. There are a few stops in the job fair I plan on making, if only to get a feel for what they want in an applicant and how to get there.

bad news, heard the Sky Crane won't be making her appearance this year, the largest door that they can reach from the helipad is still too short for the massive tail rotor.

Hey all, we got to Dallas late last night and never made it to the Convention Center so no spot picked yet.. we're heading over now and will get some photos up today for those that can't make it. I also have VR pins on me if anyone want's to pick some up… We'll also pick a place for a get together..

see you soon..

dp

Here are some photos from the first day… really cool this year !! HeliSuccess lite was a success, the floor wasn't finished nor lighted well so we'll get better shots tomorrow morning before the show opens.. The Bell party was amazing this year; it was at the Cowboy Stadium and was the best one i've been to yet.. we even got to hang out with Chuck Aaron (Red Bull Pilot). We saw many old friends and met some new ones..

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/Expo2012day1/

aloha,

dp

We have decided to meet after the job fair in Ballroom C1 at 5pm, we'll pick a better spot for drinks at that time. We could also do breakfast on monday somewhere if that sounds better than drinks after, we'll decide at the job fair.

see you then, i hope you all can make it.

dp

• Like 1

Here are some photos from day 2, thanks to Chris and Mike for taking them for me, i was in meetings. It was great to see some of you at the Job Fair, thanks for coming by.. sorry i missed the rest of you i had an unexpected meeting at Rolls Royce. The show is awesome this year, much more room than last so not so crowded even tho there seems to be more folks. The Bell and Eurocopter unveilings were cool.. Vertical Mag Beer Hour was cool, always good to see many friends there. I will try to get more photos today.. I will be at the at the Flight Training Committee Meeting at 10:30 in room C-154 if you have time to stop in..

The Safety Meeting was very interesting yesterday, lots of talk about UAVs and multiple operations flying in the same airspace, i'll post notes later.. you folks DO use 123.025 right??

The Rolls Royce after party was amazing, the Band Starship was there and some other well known folks.. the food was great too. We had friends at the Eurocopter party and heard it was awesome as well..

http://s298.photobuc...2/Expo2012day2/

aloha,

dp

Here are some photos from the third day, sorry there are so few and duplicates, we were so busy i just couldn't keep up. The Flight Training Committee meeting lasted longer than i expected and we had to leave earlier than expected.. I will post a longer summary as soon as i get time, there was some great news and some not so good news (seems like the folks that are hiring are just a little bit dissapointed in the quality of incoming 1000+ hour pilots, and the scary part for us all is that those are the folks that are training the next group of professional pilots).. more on all of that later and how we can all be a part of the solution to change some of this.

I am also very sorry that i didn't get to spend more time with my old friends and new friends, i wish the Expo could be two weeks long.. might work better, for me anyway.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/Expo2012day3/

dp

Check this out.. i got home and found this in the mailbox.. i mailed this pin to Drew on Sept 12th. Like a few others in the beginning the postage was insufficient, i wonder where this thing has been for five months (to the day)!!

If some more of you didn't get your pins please let me know.. i'll get another one out to you asap.

dp

IMG_3713.jpg

WOW! I am finally getting a chance to post since visiting the Expo on Sunday, and it was amazing. It was great to get to finally meet Dennis an Goldy, put some names and faces together. I think I finally realized how much I love this industry and really need to get into the flying side of things, I can only learn so much on the ground. I am working on getting all 2.5 hours of film into something enjoyable for everyone, then I will post some links to my youtube.

• Like 1

I will post a longer summary as soon as i get time, there was some great news and some not so good news (seems like the folks that are hiring are just a little bit dissapointed in the quality of incoming 1000+ hour pilots, and the scary part for us all is that those are the folks that are training the next group of professional pilots).. more on all of that later and how we can all be a part of the solution to change some of this.

I am also very sorry that i didn't get to spend more time with my old friends and new friends, i wish the Expo could be two weeks long.. might work better, for me anyway.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/Expo2012day3/

dp

As someone who plans to start training later this year what are the things that they were saying are disappointing about the 1000 hour pilots? I know it's a long way off for me but I don't want to repeat other's mistakes although I'm sure I'll come up with plenty of new ones one my own. Having fresh pilots be instructors always seemed counter intuitive to me but between the relatively low pay of most instructing jobs and the demand for high hours for other jobs I don't see a away around it. Unless those companies were willing to bear the cost of an apprenticeship program and put low time pilots as SIC in a light bird at a livable wage.

Gents!!

i will get to this when i can, and post as much info as i can, for now tho i just want you to know that i will get to it.. i am way behind after being gone for four days.

"silverstate" maybe a small portion of it.. but i know some really good SS guys and gals that are working all over the industry now and have made great impressions.

One of the things i kept hearing is that they couldn't answer basic questions, like airspace.. one person that hires MANY of the CFIs moving into the commercial world said that they interviewed more than 25 and only four passed the first written test, of those, NONE were hired due to lack of basic knowledge, he was actually angry about the whole situation and i do not blame him, i have been preaching about this for four years (as has Mike Franz).. Again, the scary part is that these 1000 hour CFIs are the ones teaching the next generation of pilots..

They all said that the pilots coming from the larger 141, and or more organized schools, were better, but they too were lacking.

I will post a detailed explanation as soon as i can get to it.. but i will not be naming names, except to say that Bristol & Hillsboro were named as producing good candidates (funny that those two companies were approached along with Heli-Ops to consult on the changes to the PTS, something that came up quite a bit as well)! You can read about some of that in the latest Vertical Magazine article by Guy Maher: Page 130 "From the Bottom Up"

http://www.verticalmag.com/digital/2012/v11i1/files/2.html

I will also say that i spoke at length with Marcus from Hillsboro and feel that he is taking his program in the right direction and does so from the heart. They are doing some very cool stuff and not being driven by the mighty dollar as are so many in this biz..

More later....

jmvho,

dp

At least the person you talked to is breaking the chain by not hiring people who are not qualified. I hope that company sticks to their guns and interviews another 50 if that is what it takes to find a pilot that won't be a hazard to themselves or others.

As far as who is to blame for inadequate 1000 hour pilots, I am curious to hear your theories on that one. It would be very easy to blame any number of things.... The pilots previous CFI, DPE, the school where the pilot instructs, the pilot, the economy, and even the FAA (that's a really big stretch though).

I can't wait to hear your take on it though.