Heli-Success 2012

do people go on their own and meet people as you go or is everyone pretty much going with groups of people they know?

Lol, he was joking. He ran up to his room to grab a jacket last year and his ride to a group dinner left without him! Lots of people go as groups (schoolmates, VR folks, etc.) and as individuals! Either way, you'll meet lots more!!

Lol, he was joking. He ran up to his room to grab a jacket last year and his ride to a group dinner left without him! Lots of people go as groups (schoolmates, VR folks, etc.) and as individuals! Either way, you'll meet lots more!!

lol i knew it was a joke! It just sparked the question into my head, when we go to shows and such with the fire department we usually go together and stick within our group so I was wondering if it was like that or more open environment to meeting new people and networking.

I think it's different in that the whole point of this conference is to meet people! Usually even people who aren't natural socialites get chatty and make new friends from all over. There are quite a few people with jobs and experience who attend as well as people new to the industry and everyone in between. It's a much smaller venue than HAI and it is invaluable in many ways, especially as a jumpstart in the right direction if you're new in the industry. I've been the past 2 years and I'll be there this year! :D

I think this is a good time to bring up the "Bonus" slide from my FAASTeam Power Point presentation as it will give those new attendees some lead in time!

When attending seminars and expos, etc. apply the three "I's".

Information, Inspiration & Interaction.

Make a "Get" & "Give" list. Get what you want from attending and Give (employers make ask you what you can give or bring to their organization over the next person in line) what you can to others.

At my career stage I am all Give and supporting Heli Success admin and everyone there. I make an effort to get everyone back in the room after a break and also get you hooked up with an employer if I can.

Another "heads up", be prepared to answer this question during your brief time in front of an employer. "What SRM method do you use on every flight to identify hazards, assess risks and manage those risks?"

I look forward to seeing you all there and assisting you in any way.

Mike

Another "heads up", be prepared to answer this question during your brief time in front of an employer. "What SRM method do you use on every flight to identify hazards, assess risks and manage those risks?"

Wow, that’s kind of a deep question for a job fair…..

I’d answer the question then ask; “One of the most important elements of a Safety Management System, is implantation of a just culture. Can you give me an example of how your company has changed from a disciplinary/retribution culture, to a just culture?”

• Like 1

Spike, not so deep as it is something every pilot should be using on every flight. I know many employers are concerned, really concerned, about SRM and who they are hiring. The PTSs are all revised or about to be revised including areas of special emphasis on SRM. This should not be something "strange" to pilots and the answer should be ingrained in pilot procedures.

Pretty much everyone can fly the helicopter but how will you protect your pax and aircraft daily?

Also, it is better to be fore warned and not try to turn the tables during an interview.

Pilots that answered this question last year were hired!

So, heads up given, be safe.

Mike

I have a question for those of you who are putting Helisuccess 2012 together.

Do you cover non helicopter related interview questions? I ask because recently I interviewed for a position flying tours in a 44, and oddly enough, I didn't get a single question regarding the helicopter, aerodynamics, weather, regulations, flight planning, ADM, SRM,...you name it!

Instead, all of the questions were things like; Tell us about yourself, Where do you see yourself in 5 years, Why should we hire you, What qualities would you bring to us, etc. I even had to do a personality profile, one of those tests that has 5 words and asks; Which word describes you the most, and which the least?

It was as if I were interviewing for a position in management. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for all the pictures of helicopters in his office, I wouldn't have known that the company had anything to do with helicopters.

Anyway, does Helisuccess cover basic interview questions like that?

Spike, not so deep as it is something every pilot should be using on every flight. I know many employers are concerned, really concerned, about SRM and who they are hiring. The PTSs are all revised or about to be revised including areas of special emphasis on SRM. This should not be something "strange" to pilots and the answer should be ingrained in pilot procedures.

Pretty much everyone can fly the helicopter but how will you protect your pax and aircraft daily?

Also, it is better to be fore warned and not try to turn the tables during an interview.

Pilots that answered this question last year were hired!

In my opinion,

Sorry, I must have read the information incorrectly. I did not see any indication or notation where” job interviews” were taking place. Let’s check it out:

Career Helicopter Pilots and Mechanics. Put a face to a name! Meet the hiring authorities face to face! Get your resume into the right hands! This Seminar is designed to offer helicopter industry professionals, who may be new to the industry, or in a transition phase of their career, an opportunity for learning and networking. Those who are looking for inside information that may give them that competitive edge in the helicopter industry hiring process. Knowledge is Power! Who might this seminar benefit?

• Students presently in a Pro Pilot Training Program.

• Flight Instructors getting ready to break out of the training environment and into the REAL WORLD!

• Individuals considering transferring to other sectors of the industry. i.e., GOM to EMS.

• Individuals transitioning from Military to Civilian.

Nope, no mention.

The assumption was; HeliSuccess is an opportunity for job seekers to learn how to get jobs in this industry and more importantly, an opportunity to meet people and network which hopefully will someday lead to a job. While this event is a great way to do this and a must attend for newcomers, it’s not free. Sure, the cost is minimal and only really covers the expense of the event but, it is a cost to the attendee nonetheless.

Sure, my response was admittedly a little sarcastic. However, the majority of the attendees won’t get job offers. And correct me if I’m wrong; this holds true for the pilots who answer your question correctly as well. Therefore, the challenge is this, if an applicant sits in front of a potential employer, that employer should provide every ounce of information possible to help the attendee gain the proper insight to getting a job, i.e. not just ask “job interview” caliber questions. In fact it’s stated in the advertisement; “Knowledge is Power! “. Employers should share the knowledge and not just seek it (as in; what do you know?), from the attendees. That is what an interview is for…………

Sure, hiring can and often does, take place anywhere, at any time… This goes without saying and certainly doesn’t usually incur a cost to the applicant….

Lastly, no employer should assume, just because the applicant is sitting on the other side of the table, he or she is not qualified for the job. Shoot, in this day-and-age I’ll bet most are probably overqualified….

This is by no means meant to discourage people from attending. To the contrary, if you are seeking a job in this business, this is where you need to be. Just go with the proper perspective and like oxygen, suck in the information as if your life depended upon it….

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Spike, nice post above! You are correct and great info.

I was surprised last year and the year before that pilots did get hired at Heli Success or a least scheduled for an interview the following day! I was trying to give those lucky few a heads up about a surprise event that could happen!

Also, some employers would ask the question I mentioned about SRM and I hoped to be helpful in getting pilots prepared. My other reason for mentioning SRM is that the PTSs are all standardizing the SRM areas and they are now listed in the new Helicopter Flying Handbook released yesterday in Chap. 14.

Anyone attending Heli Success can approach me for help with anything while attending. I may be giving you a name tag and signing you in or passing out info, etc. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Please take advantage of the FAASTeam presentations the day before. Many of the employer reps attend and make the one drink social hour afterwards. A free opportunity to network or just listen in on conversations and learn. You never know who you might get to go to dinner with afterwards!

Mike

• Like 1

Shame on Lyn for not putting the employer interviews in boldface!

Yes, pilots do get interviews on the last day. Yes pilots get hired based on those meetings.Last year, I know of 12 pilots that were hired in the weeks and months following the event.....and that's just one company.

In some cases your interview starts when you walk in the door and hold out your hand to meet someone. When you meet someone for the first time you just never know how that person may play into your life in the future.

Bottom line, my opinion, if you are looking for a pilot job you need to attend this event, regardless of the investment you may have to make.

Hope to see you all there.

• Like 1

Shame on Lyn for not putting the employer interviews in boldface!

Yes, pilots do get interviews on the last day. Yes pilots get hired based on those meetings.Last year, I know of 12 pilots that were hired in the weeks and months following the event.....and that's just one company.

As someone who's on the fence about going, I feel I must ask. Are these high, or low time pilots getting interviews and jobs?

Are there company booths, or is everyone just meeting by chance as they mingle?

As someone who's on the fence about going, I feel I must ask. Are these high, or low time pilots getting interviews and jobs?

Are there company booths, or is everyone just meeting by chance as they mingle?

Both, and there was at least one company looking for maintainers too. The hiring companies set up booths (tables) for the job fair at the end of the seminar.

I wish i had more time to post on this subject, hopefully i can get to it later. There were many folks hired at the 2010 & 2011 HeliSuccess, the ones that i personally know of from ~200 hours up.. mostly around the ~1000 hour mark tho.

IT IS SIMPLY THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR CAREER IN THIS INDUSTRY NO MATTER WHAT HOUR LEVEL YOU ARE AT... if you are just starting out, come and get to know the people that are giving back.. if you are a seasoned professional, come join the group of those that are giving back. It will cost you about the same as one hour of flight training...

Here are some photos of the last two years.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/Heli-Success%202010/

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/HeliSuccess%202011/

dp

I really want to go but im not sure if ill be able to swing it with college starting and paying to go to CA for the robinson heli course in the end of august.

As many a poster has said in one way or another, this is an event that you cant afford to miss. It is NOT just a place to get a job. (Although we did hire many of the job fair attendees this year, including some the day after the event)

I have not missed a Heli-Sucess yet. It is a great resource for building your career.

• Like 1

I'm also planning on going, as well as a fellow instructor or 2 or 3 from my school who will all be approaching the 1000 hour mark around the time of the seminar. My question is this for those of us attending: Would it be frowned upon to bring copies of resumes and cover letters wit us to Helisuccess? Should I bring my logbook? I'm curious how many companies attending attend with the purpose of finding some pilots and taking some resumes.

My question is this for those of us attending: Would it be frowned upon to bring copies of resumes and cover letters wit us to Helisuccess?

Absolutely come with a resume and plan on being dressed for an interview. Cover letters aren't necessary for face-to-face meetings.

• Like 2

I am going to go to this. I do wish it was somewhere besides Las Vegas, but the event sounds awesome.

Anyone from Colorado going?

I am going to go to this. I do wish it was somewhere besides Las Vegas, but the event sounds awesome.

Anyone from Colorado going?

Absolutely, DP and his crew would not miss it, they are an integral part of the event... Right DP?

Edited by gary-mike
  • Like 1

Don't worry, it is priceless... It wasn't that expensive last year either.

Oh I'm sure it is, but if it isn't cheap in my friends eyes, my expenses will go up dramatically. I'd like to be able to plan for it if the need arises.

How much was it last year?