Test Your Awareness

Spike

Read the sentence below, once.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-

IC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE

EXPERIENCE OF MANY YEARS.

Now, go back and count the "F’s" in the sentence once, and, do not count them again.

How many F’s are there?

DO NOT REPOST ONCE YOU ANSWERED (and, if you’ve done this before, try not to give it away and don't Google it)........

Edited by Spike

As a proper scout pilot, you should have been able to scan that paragraph and find them all in one shot, and also what they were up to.

Actually as a proper scout pilot he would let the computer figure that all out....which he did. :)

I counted 6, but only because I have seen something like this before and was looking for it. The mind does not process individual letters in words like of. Instead, you memorize both letters together as a word. So when you are scanning for the letter F, you miss it every time you see the word of. That's why first time around most of you counted 3 Fs. You saw the letter F in finished and files and scientific. But you missed them in all 3 of's.

I don't see how this has anything to do with your awareness.

As a proper scout pilot, you should have been able to scan that paragraph and find them all in one shot, and also what they were up to.

Sure, but I had some lovely tools available to me that allowed me to gain situational awareness before my eyes could see.

As a simple example of the things we don’t normally clue into, this sentence was on the back of a Silva Mind Control rep’s card which I came across as a kid, titled “Test Your Awareness”. Initially, I used it to demonstrate to students the importance of reading things carefully and accurately. Then, later on in life, I had the distinct privilege of attending a CRM/ADM/Human Factors/Interpersonal Relationships seminar by the late Michelle North. Her seminar taught me what may be possible in the realm of helicopter training (read, cutting edge).

With that, I often combined the two when I taught. That is, can you simply read the directions, correctly interpret the information and come to a conclusion and, do so without your ego or type “A” personality getting in the way….

The question was, “How many “F’s” are there?” with an additional request not to post more than once or, give it away. Simple right? Obviously not…

Edited by Spike
  • Like 3

At my last CFI refresher, a video of basketball passing was played. Has anyone seen the video I am referring to ? Limits to human perception are not new. It is a honeable skill, but not, at least in my opinion, a perfectable skill.