Helicopter shot down in Syria video

Whiteshadow

Why should it be removed? It happened, it is in the news, and it is related to helicopters. No one is making light of the situation, making wisecracks, or trivializing the fact that someone lost there life (lives) when this happened. I hope that you don't think that was my intended purpose when I posted it.

Of course, if the moderators want to remove it, they can and will.

This is my last post on this topic, because I don't believe in arguing over the internet (while I do believe it's ok to disagree). There is no show boating going on. I will let others chime in if they wish and decide if this video and topic needs to be removed.

• Like 2

I dont see that it should be removed. Heck when I went to LE aircrew school they have a 3 hr block dedicated to surface to air threats. We have a military section here. That may be of some relevance that being in the military isnt all about learnig to fly for free, and that in the big boy world those helicopters everyone drools over on their Ipad wallpaper are actually used as weapons. And that there are entire career fields dedicated to shooting back at those helicopters. I spent 8 years in the infantry and as a Heavy Machinegunnerf I can tell you that if you get your CH47 within 800 yards of my Mk-19 youll be picking up the little pieces. Its a little startling, but isnt graphic. This site is about the realities of the helicopter industry. Well, there it is. I dont know you so maybe Im preaching to the choir. Personally I think its just a matter of time before you see an LE helicopter taken down with a shoulder fired weapon.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

http://worldnews.nbc...owned-by-rebels

This is nuts right here. Enough said.

Pretty crazy world we live in.

Holy crap!

Crazy, Nuts, Holy Crap, it all seems that way; however, just what they wanted. There’s much more to come.

General Wesley Clark tells of how Middle East destabilization was planned as far back as 1991 by U.S. strategic planners. The plans called for the destabilization of 7 countries in five years.

During his 34 years in the U.S. Army, Wesley Clark rose to the rank of four-star general and was named director for strategic plans and policy of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. As Supreme Allied Commander and Commander in Chief of the U.S. European Command, Clark commanded Operation Allied Force.

http://youtu.be/C0RTeMCGL8w

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

Because it's not approprate for this site. This is, and should remain a source of professional content. If you want to show boat, find another source of media.

Military aviation is a profession. Military aircrews face risks. The video is a capture of current world events, some of which will likely impact readers of these forums and therefore should be available to anyone. Even if those events aren't sanitized and palatable or fit your particular construct of what seems appropriate.

To add on to what Pig said, a lot of the discussion on this site revolves around young hopefuls and their future flying aspirations. WOFT discussions typically revolve around the free training that they hope to receive, and what jobs will be available with all their logged hours. That training comes with a commitment...the obligation to deploy and fly into areas like this, face risks like this, and possibly end up like this.

The current state of world events may be inappropriate, but simply being informed of what's going on around you shouldn't be.

• Like 2

Remove this post out of respect. Thank you.

Seeing as this is a USA based website, refer back to your first amendment. I agree with most of the posts above, although not pleasant to watch it is still part of world events that involve the heli industry (of which any military is included).

Guys, it's not even a very good video. Surely you're not shocked by what you see? You're not living in that much of a pampered, sheltered world, are you?

Personally, I think it looks fake. It wouldn't be the first time.

We worked the Syrian border from Iraq. Not a place to go if you can help it. (Iraq, or Syria). Not my favorite place. If indeed a government helicopter did get taken down by rebels/insurgents, given what the government is doing to their own people, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

We all choose sides, or the sides are chosen for us. We all die some time. We usually don't chose that time. Sometimes it's chosen for us. That's life. Welcome to reality. Get a grip.

• Like 1

The explosion didn't look quite right to me... I'm not saying I think its a fake but I'm weary of it. I've seen plenty of explosions of many types and rarely do they have such a fireball. But as for the apropriatness of the video, I agree woft should acknowledge the reality of what they're getting into. And although it turned my stomach the first time I saw it remember Syria is no friend of ours. (If your American or one of our allies anyway)

I am more prone to think that the video that iChris posted doesn't belong here than the initial video (sorry Chris, but I think this should remain a politics free site even if I do agree with you).

Regarding the OP, I have seen a lot of what we called "Kill TV" when I was overseas (mostly predator feed). I've seen a lot of stuff get blown up. In my opinion, based off of real events that I have witnessed (most of them from the safety of the TOC), I think that video was very real. Seeing as how this is a helicopter site, and the airborne vehicle that blew up in mid air appeared to be a... Yep, it's definitely a helicopter, I don't see anything wrong with Whiteshadow posting it.

It looks like something on the inside detonated, maybe some sort of stores or ammunition. Mi-8 carrying artillery rounds or an engineering kit, takes small arms fire, gets hit with a golden BB, then spirals back down into more small arms envelopes and the rounds impact the cargo. Boom. I didn't see any MANPAD contrails or plumes.

...and for those arguing whether or not it is appropriate. That was very mild compared to some of the video footage I have witnessed over the last couple years.

Remove this post out of respect. Thank you.

Because it's not approprate for this site. This is, and should remain a source of professional content. If you want to show boat, find another source of media.

This is my last post on this topic, because I don't believe in arguing over the internet

What happen Roondog? You’ve thrown two blows and took-off. Come back with your uppercut. You’ve already got one knockout (OP). Try for more.

I was a crewchief on one of these in the Marine Corps. This one was shot down by a shoulder fired surface to air rocket while I was deployed in '07. The pilots did a hell of a job keeping it under control up to the flare, where it disintegrated. RIP to the crews of both choppers.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ec7d3ccc6

I was a crewchief on one of these in the Marine Corps. This one was shot down by a shoulder fired surface to air rocket while I was deployed in '07. The pilots did a hell of a job keeping it under control up to the flare, where it disintegrated. RIP to the crews of both choppers.

http://www.liveleak....ew?i=1ec7d3ccc6

When I was in TQ, Iraq in the fall of '04 for the Fallujah invasion with HMM-263REIN, we had a 46E get shot down. SA-8 right into the #1 eng exhaust. Boost pump exploded spraying fuel all over both engines, causing a massive fireball and dual engine failure. Pilot shot an auto to the ground, and the crew all got out. Broken arm and some minor burns were the worst injuries. They did a damn good job saving the crew.

• Like 1

Everyone who has posted supporting this video as training value is probably right, hopefully we can get a video of you dying in the cockpit and show it to the world. Think about your loved ones getting to watch you die while some people argue about it.

Do law enforcement officials put of videos of people being raped, stabbed, murdered to let their citizens know this is what can happen to you and how to avoid it? We can accept this video because its anonymous, think about things from some one else's view.

Do the forums a favor and start filming everything for us, that way when you die we can all watch and pick it apart and learn.

Everyone who has posted supporting this video as training value is probably right, hopefully we can get a video of you dying in the cockpit and show it to the world. Think about your loved ones getting to watch you die while some people argue about it.

Do law enforcement officials put of videos of people being raped, stabbed, murdered to let their citizens know this is what can happen to you and how to avoid it? We can accept this video because its anonymous, think about things from some one else's view.

Do the forums a favor and start filming everything for us, that way when you die we can all watch and pick it apart and learn.

Have you not seen the Robinson Safety Course video??

• Like 2