WOFT Packet Denied First Attempt January 2013

Age - 27

AFAST - 126

ASVAB/GT - 93/127

College - 127 hrs 2.48 GPA @ OSU in Aeronautical Engineering

APFT - 300

LORs - Two Congressmen, Physics Professor I tutored for, Owner of the company I work for and a 1 LT that I grew up with who is a 160th pilot.

I am a Civilian and Thought I had a fairly Competitive packet, does anyone know the percentage of people denied by the first board that are selected by the second?

Age - 27

AFAST - 126

ASVAB/GT - 93/127

College - 127 hrs 2.48 GPA @ OSU in Aeronautical Engineering

APFT - 300

LORs - Two Congressmen, Physics Professor I tutored for, Owner of the company I work for and a 1 LT that I grew up with who is a 160th pilot.

I am a Civilian and Thought I had a fairly Competitive packet, does anyone know the percentage of people denied by the first board that are selected by the second?

Finish your degree, it seems those with a degree are being picked up first.

You mentioned in the other thread that you were afraid your recruiter messed something up in your packet. It's entirely likely. Is there anyway you can have a look at what he sent up to Rucker? Or, have the station commander take a look? Or another recruiter who has successfully completed WOFT packets before?

You could give your Army Aviator essay another look/rewrite. If you'd like, I would be happy to proofread it for you with the caveat of course that I am just another applicant.

Honestly, there's not much you can do at this point. You can't change whether or not you have a degree in the next 2 months, you can't get a flight certificate in the next few months (well I guess if you devoted all your time and had an extra $20k laying around you could :P ), and you can't change your test scores (at least not your AFAST...not sure on the ASVAB, or if you can take the SIFT).

The only things I can see that you might be able to do is work on some higher level LORs, and update your resume and essay (did you miss anything, can someone proofread it, etc).

Good luck!

I don't think it's bad. I was just saying that is something you can't change to try increase your score before the board.

Oh ok. Yea Not really much I can do now. Just rewriting my Why I Want to be an Aviator. Getting My LOR's in order. I did not realize one of the congressmen I had a letter from did not put it on letter head or sign it as a congressmen so maybe they did not know who he was.

Also, you can have a total of 6 LORs. This was discussed in another post, but as long as all 6 are quality, there's not reason to not max it out. As said before, maybe your 1LT friend can put you in touch with a CW3 or higher.

Edited by 01CelicaGTS

Also, you can have a total of 6 LORs. This was discussed in another post, but as long as all 6 are quality, there's not reason to not max it out. As said before, maybe your 1LT friend can put you in touch with a CW3 or higher.

I would but the emphasis on keeping his is he really knows me. We grew up together so he can say that in the LOR plus he is in the 160th and that is my goal to end up there. Right now I have 5 LOR's. I had six but the one was from a ret. marine general, but his writing skills are kind of poor and I do not feel it is a strong LOR. So next review I will not submit that

I'd get rid of the LT LOR as it doesn't hold any weight. If he could put you in touch with a CW4+ or O4+ it could be worked into a new LOR that you you come highly recommended, but this way it would be from someone who has been in a lot longer than a couple years.

Also I'd avoid having other people "rework" your essay, is supposed to be your essay. Having someone read it and offer a couple tips or a little direction is one thing, but someone else "reworking" it? A lot of people read these boards and that could be viewed in a very negative way.

• Like 1

I was put in touch with a CW4 but really like the LT. One he is in the 160th Two the biggest for me is he knows me we are like brothers. And as far as the rework I am to stubborn to really change things, because like you said it is suppose to be why I want to be an aviator. I am more just looking for punctuation or grammatical issues etc..hopefully meet with the CW4 next week=)

Keep the LT letter as a personal letter who knows about your character more than someone you just met but make sure you add higher weight letters like that cw4. And maybe another warrant too. My .02

I don't think it's bad. I was just saying that is something you can't change to try increase your score before the board.

Every little thing counts. Fine tune your resume. Would be better an LOR from a field grade officer or senior Aviator WO. I am an applicant too, I will be looked at the March 2013 Board. Anxious about it!

Also, you're only applying into the WOFT program, not SOAR. The WOFT board wants "the most important person that you personally know." ...or something to that tune. I'd use the CW4 to get your foot into the program, and the 160th letter when you graduate flight school two years down the road and apply to 160th. Just like the other thread, focus on the 10 m goals.