How to do a "proper" in-flight power check?

eagle5

I've never really been in a situation where I've needed to do this, so my method is untested! I always figured that to check my power in-flight, I'd just try to put it into a hover, high enough on the approach that I could go-around if need be.

If I could hover, I'd check the power setting vs. my max allowed for the day, or maybe initiate a climb to see what my max actually is. If I started to descend before reaching a hover and was at max power, then I would assume I can't hover, and not land there.

My instructor didn't spend much time with me on power checks, so I don't know if this is a good method?

So, how do the rest of you do it?

I've never really been in a situation where I've needed to do this, so my method is untested! I always figured that to check my power in-flight, I'd just try to put it into a hover, high enough on the approach that I could go-around if need be.

If I could hover, I'd check the power setting vs. my max allowed for the day, or maybe initiate a climb to see what my max actually is. If I started to descend before reaching a hover and was at max power, then I would assume I can't hover, and not land there.

My instructor didn't spend much time with me on power checks, so I don't know if this is a good method?

So, how do the rest of you do it?

Eagle5,

I want to address your question but remove you personally from my response so as to not make this "about you". I am not sure of your certificate or experience level and applaud you for seeking knowledge and wanting to be a better pilot.

The industry has failed you(and many others) in not providing the training and knowledge of helicopter performance and Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM). Pilots in training(PT) should be trained in the three factors that govern helicopter performance and that these factors effect the flight at all times. Max power producable and reserve power should always be understood by the PIC. To develop this in PT's is the CFI's responsibility and should be mandated by inclusion in the school's curriculums.

Now to the ADM part of your question. Prior to initiating an approach a PIC should know both the max power available and power required (approx.) and not choose to stop an approach into a hover choosing to enter the HV avoidance area to check power. (poor ADM) I know you are better than this but again the system obviously failed to ingrain this in you.

These two issues, insufficient training and lack of ADM development ab initio are the cause of many of the human factors attributed accidents. I have been working hard to change this within the industry.

After the R44 accident in the video on the "what happened" thread, I developed a helicopter performance evaluation document for that school's CFI staff. With written responses from the entire CFI cadre, I then addressed any gaps or lack of understanding and created a performance mentality document that was covered in depth. The staff there now brings this forward in the curriculums. The POI from that school was attending a presentation I was giving in the Denver FSDO and agreed that both lack of training and Human Factors contributed to the event on the mountain.

I will not attempt to answer your question here as I feel that is better brought forth in person. I recommend you find a CFI and go thru this in a ground school class. Send me a PM with your e-mail addy if you want further assistance in this area.

Mike

• Like 1

At cruise altitude, at least 500' AGL, stop and hold a hover, check power against plan, and repeat as necessary, different headings, because it's hard to hold a stationary hover at altitude. I often do this higher than 500'. You're confirming that you can leave the landing site, not that you can "probably get out". Don't forget terrain effects.

Don't stop once you're in the approach phase. You have much higher priorities in that part of the flight. Abort if any part of the plan is dubious in execution.

Add for anticipated load. Passengers never know exact weight or cargo weight, so either overestimate 'mass' or have a useful power margin. The boss says 10%, great except that most RFM charts stop at MGTO and that's where I'll be, so do the best possible.

Once loaded, a hover power check. This is where pilots are made- if hover power is not within the plan, you land and offload, or you burn fuel and then try the hover power again. Two, even 3 trips are better than any kind of incident.

I believe in the vertical exit, convinced by my employer's insistence, and it works with our aircraft. Vertical above the obstacles, gradual acceleration. If you can't, land and make a new plan. Falling out of the departure for power is a bad place to be.

Edited by Wally

I’ll approach via normal to steep to a target hover spot 500 ft above my intended LZ. This assures me I can arrest the descent with power to hover. If I reach the top of the yellow while hovering or, still descending and in the yellow, I’m out (going around). If I reach a stable hover in the green, I’ll attempt to ascend vertically. If I can successfully climb-out vertically without reaching the top of the yellow, then I’ll proceed.

In my experience, on off-airport or rooftop pad approaches, I typically walk the machine in. That is, hover power from altitude. (200ft-ish). While I’m cognizant of the HV curve, I’ll still walk it in. This confirms my wind and power margins. And, when in doubt, I stop and hover OGE. -Fools rush in. Thankfully, the machines I fly have to power to do this.

Once in, I too prefer to depart vertically. Albeit, slowly and methodically. -fools rush out. I must have a positive reserve power margin or I off-load.

Whether anyone likes it or not, this industry is evolving. The days of kicking-the-tires-and-lighting-the-fires are gone. It’s about accountability and proving such. With that, there is no reason to push the envelope. It’s now about staying smack-dab in the center of the envelope. So much so, during a recent carding check-ride, a friend of mine had is resolve tested by being told if he didn’t land in the designated confined area he would not receive his card. My friend did the right thing and came up with an alternate plan (land in a safer spot). Confirming he had done the right thing, the inspector said, if you have to attempt to figure it out, don’t do it………

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I plan ahead and predict my planned performance by the operators manual for departure and arrival and confirm my calculations are correct at the departure by validating them (comparing predicted values to actual) then go and have a solid idea what to expect upon arrival as long as the predicted values are still valid. ???? PPC the military way.

• Like 2

Wait. Hold the phone. Stop.

First of all, throw the H-V chart away. Don't worry about it - don't even think about it. If your plan includes operating in the shaded area on your next landing *and* takeoff, then don't even think about the chart. You've already decided to disregard it. Seriously. Put it out of your mind.

Second. Let's do some preflight planning here, okay? You *know* you're flying to an off-airport site landing and you want to know whether you'll have the performance to do this safely. What you do *NOT* want to do is show up at the LZ with certain questions unanswered. Improv may be a great way to do comedy, but it's not a good way to do aviation.

As long as the elevation of both this departure and your next landing are relatively close, then you can predict the performance of your ship pretty accurately.

So do your power check early. On your *initial* departure, "go vertical" and see how much reserve power you have. If you're climbing away smartly with power to spare, then you can make a reasonable estimation of your performance going into and coming out of your next LZ. I know, you might be going someplace to pick people/cargo up and you're unsure of the total weight. We've all been there. Operations like this are not for amateurs.

Really, before you get into operations like these you really should be intimately familiar with your machine. Know its characteristics. If you *know* you can hover OGE with "this" amount of fuel and "this" amount of cabin load at "this" OAT then you're way ahead of the game. You can extrapolate. And if you do this, you won't get taken by surprise. ...Well, not too much, anyway.

Otherwise you're just fumbling along, groping in the dark for the light switch. And I hate that feeling. Know your machine.

A final thought: Do not be tempted to improvise. In other words, when you're flying along, do not do things without a good, solid plan. As much as possible, know what LZ's you're going to use ahead of time. Try not to get roped into going into LZ's you're not familiar with. That's just a recipe for disaster. Remember that guy in the R-22 who "rescued" the RC plane from the trees? Bad head-work. No planning, no nothing. That's not the way I fly, and I've been doing this a long, long time.

If you want to land in a "tight" LZ, then do a little research. If it's possible, go in empty, by yourself the first time. This way you'll get an idea of what it takes and how much "more" you can take going in and coming out. It's just too risky to do otherwise.

We pros don't like surprises. We don't like improvising (unless we absolutely have to).

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Helifun, and he said basically the same thing - just with mercifully fewer words ;)

• Like 3

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I plan ahead and predict my planned performance by the operators manual for departure and arrival and confirm my calculations are correct at the departure by validating them (comparing predicted values to actual) then go and have a solid idea what to expect upon arrival as long as the predicted values are still valid. ???? PPC the military way.

I've yet to understand why we don't use some sort of computer program like the PPC we used in the military. Still even without it I know the max DA for my area. I can look on the hover chart OGE and find my max gross weight. If my actual is less than my max gross, then I'm good to go. Quite simple really. Unless the conditions (winds) change drastically, or your engine is significantly weaker than spec, you should already know if you can operate OGE before you take off. I'd never depart to somewhere without even knowing if I can land. I would think that's what 91.103 is all about.

• Like 2

I had assumed it went without saying that prior to departing from my home base; I’ve already completed the pre-flight planning and appropriate calculations. However, with respect to spoon feeding the obvious, I’ll include the above…… However, I continue to say, planning is one thing, actual conditions is another….. Furthermore, to believe things won’t change after planning is naïve at best. Expect the conditions to change for the worst…. This is where headwork is critical….

Plus, I work in a microclimate environment. That is, I can depart my sea-level home base with temps in the 80’s and arrive at my off airport destination 15 minutes later at 4000 ft and it’s 100…. Fifteen minute fuel burn isn’t much….. Hence for my need for the machine to prove its performance and not hope for it…

• Like 1

I had assumed it went without saying that prior to departing from my home base; I’ve already completed the pre-flight planning and appropriate calculations. However, with respect to spoon feeding the obvious, I’ll include the above…… However, I continue to say, planning is one thing, actual conditions is another….. Furthermore, to believe things won’t change after planning is naïve at best. Expect the conditions to change for the worst…. This is where headwork is critical….

Plus, I work in a microclimate environment. That is, I can depart my sea-level home base with temps in the 80’s and arrive at my off airport destination 15 minutes later at 4000 ft and it’s 100…. Fifteen minute fuel burn isn’t much….. Hence for my need for the machine to prove its performance and not hope for it…

Yes, a proper pre-flight with respect to performance has been done.

The idea of flying in a microclimate environment is why I started this thread,..since things do change from where you takeoff to where you plan on operating, and/or landing!

I figured the only way to really be sure you can arrest your descent and land to a hover, is to simply put it in a hover high enough beforehand just in case you can't?

I also prefer to "walk it in" and takeoff vertically, to avoid any and all obstacles,...hopefully!

I too prefer to "walk it in" to pinnacles and confined areas. In my mind, the risk of settling (either due to a lack of power available or a VRS condition) is far more likely than having an engine failure and getting caught with your pants down. Besides, an engine failure on approach is an engine failure on approach... You are committed to landing at that point, and the chips will fall where they may. On a powered approach, it's up to the pilot to commit, and that should be done cautiously and slowly. Why put yourself in a bad position trying to avoid being in a bad position?

I sure hope that made sense...

All very good advice. This is why VR is the best helicopter internet forum. Experienced pilots sharing real life lessons with low timers is invaluable. This is where real life operational flying techniques are hard to teach if the instructor doesn't have that operational experience. It becomes "theoretical".

A word on performance charts and pre-planning. The question isn't how high can the helicopter hover, it's how much weight can it do it with given the environmental conditions. Many times I have landed low and done two or more trips to get all the pax and gear into a tricky spot. Pre planning is great but the actual conditions on site sometimes vary. Wind is the biggest variable. I've done a HOGE power check 50 feet from a ridge landing into wind and then on the actual landing there is less wind on short short final demanding more power. My point, always leave yourself a healthy power reserve, and always keep an "out" or rejected approach option. Verticaling into and out of holes is not a time to improvise as NR pointed out.

Another point, "load the disc" early. That means a slow approach with all the power required applied early while there is still an "out". I prefer the shallowest approach possible to the lowest point, even when it terminates with a vertical descent into a hole. This means slowing down below ETL early to see how much power it takes to support the helicopter. Like Ichris described in the other thread using the cyclic to control your angle of descent with a given power setting can set up a stabilized approach. The Canadian Mountain Flying technique is maximum approach angle of 200' vertical over 2000' horizontal. Slow it up and get all the power applied, and walk it in. Wind may demand a steeper approach or terrain to keep your "out" but the point is still get all your power set early.

KNOW YOUR MACHINE It's been awhile since I flew a trainer, Bell 47, 300 or 22. Those who are more current will have rules of thumb to go by. I remember that with an old Beta, two 175 lb pilots and 10 gallons of gas we were exremely careful above 3000' and had to do lots of investigation to land "high".

Flying an AS350 FX2 it can HOGE at max gross pretty much up to 8000' on a standard day, but the 206 L3 I'm flying now struggles to pick up a 1000' load on the line with 250lbs of fuel at sea level. My confidence in the machine changes relative to how much I'm flying it, which varries from hour to hour on the one hand and month to month on the other.

One final personal caution which is timely with the What the Heck Happened thread. I also got low rotor RPM in an R44 and wasn't able to execute a successful go around which resulted in a roll over. I had done planning and on paper the machine could HOGE. In reality the wind at the site changed on short final which demanded more power than the old girl had. I recovered RPM but ended up in a hover in a whiteout after overshooting. My point is always have an "out". Do all the investigation needed before committing to a landing. Do not get surprised on short short final when you have limited options.

I was lucky this accident didn't hurt anyone or end my career. In the long run it's made me a much safer pilot. I can pass on this experience learned from a huge pilot error for free. Always keep an "out".

• Like 5

IMO, feeling the wind on a power check is just as important as finding your power margin. I can normally tell approximate wind speed, direction and if its gusting or turbulent just by letting the aircraft do what it wants to do in a high hover. This gives me some confidence with my approach and allows me to quickly recognize if I experience a unexpected wind shift or downdraft.

I agree that pre LZ planning is important, but some missions just don't allow it. I have had circumstances when I was flying along and someone says land here now. Landing is the easy part, the decision making and confidence to say no is what we really get paid to do.

...always leave yourself a healthy power reserve,...

I heard once, to leave 2" of MAP (R22/R44) between power required to HOGE and your takeoff max. Does this sound about right, or if I abort the LZ because I have less, is my boss going to say, "You had 1 inch, you should have landed there!"?

I'm not a Robbie guy, but 2" margin sounds like a lot. That being said, your decision to land should be based on your comfort level with the aircraft, conditions and LZ. Your "boss" should not second guess your comfort level unless you have unjustified confidence issues. If 2 is your margin threshold right now, so be it. I would rather employ a slightly under confident or over cautious pilot than someone who is over confident any day.

To give you some perspective, I have heard of fire pilots operating at the red to get out of the pond. They will patiently wait for wind gusts to help them out of the hole. They can operate closer the aircraft limitations because they are more comfortable doing so. This only comes with experience.

Prior planning is assumed, charts, graphs and computer calculations, they're all predicting calculations, that is a guess. The power check uncovers errors or confirms your planning assumptions, and does so in the immediate environment. The "'walking in', 'go slow', 'load your disk early'" are all about confirming your expectations and doing so as you progress into the critical part- the local conditions at the landing and departure. A few feet away from where you are the wind might be on the nose, brisk and smooth, but where you are it's almost calm, turbulent downflow trending to a quartering tail... Do the approach right, knowledgeably, and you'll safely know all this before you're stuck, and whether you'll have options. Yes, I have landed in situations where I couldn't depart.

"When in doubt, chicken out" has kept me alive and semi-succesful in this biz for decades. If somebody says "You should have done this, that or the other", it's a learning opportunity for you but shouldn't make you doubt your conservative decision. If criticism comes from that, one should ask "How?" If the critic can't materially respond, forget it. Otherwise, learn.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 2

Preflight planning and familiarity with your aircraft should tell you everything you need to know for landing anywhere, even unplanned LZs. It always comes down to knowing the answer to two questions: How much power do I have and how much power do I need?

To answer the first question I kept a chart on my kneeboard that gave me the max power (torque or MP), max gross weight OGE, and predicted IGE hover power at that weight for the entire range of environmental conditions I might operate in. I had PAs listed vertically in 500ft increments, temps listed horizontally in 5 degree increments. I looked to where they intersected to get my numbers. You can use smaller increments if you're flying something like an R-22. That works well in a Black Hawk where 500ft doesn't change much and you need rows up to 14000. All of these numbers were already in my operator's manual but I put it in a format which was easier to read in flight. You should be able to calculate these for any helicopter and put it in a format that works for you. The question of "How much power do I have?" is so simple to figure out when you know the temp and PA, if you can't answer it you need to prepare better.

The "How much power do I need?" question is the one that takes some work and experience to figure out. You can use the numbers from that chart on takeoff to verify weight. Come to an IGE hover and note how much power is required vs how much power it would take if you were at your MGW OGE. Have an idea what the difference means in terms of pounds. In my helicopter I know 1% of torque is about 200lbs, so if I was 15% below the number I had for my IGE hover torque at MGW OGE, I can take 3000lbs off of my MGW OGE number to figure out my actual weight. Figure out your zero fuel weight from there and you have a good idea how much you'll weigh at any point during the flight.

When you know your weight, you can figure out how much power would be required for both an IGE hover and OGE hover using the numbers on your chart. Take the steps above and do them in reverse. Turn your difference in actual weight vs MGW OGE into a power number and add/subtract it to the power required for an IGE hover, and then again to your max power number to get your OGE hover power (max power by definition is the same as predicted OGE hover power at MGW OGE when your MGW is limited by power available).

Once you know what you would hover at OGE and IGE you can make adjustments based on any number of questions. What are the winds doing? Keep in mind that even a headwind can increase your power requirement if you're landing to a confined area where the wind will turn into downdrafts. What is the shape of the LZ? Do you have room to get into ground effect before decelerating below ETL? What are your options for go arounds if you pull more power than expected? An escape path going down and to the right is best. If you've ever tried to turn left with a drooping rotor you'll understand why you should be more conservative if that's your only option. What are your personal limitations? Nearly everyone will want some kind of excess power, but an inexperienced pilot needs more than someone with more time working at high density altitudes.

Individual methods may vary but you need to ask yourself how accurately you can answer these two questions throughout your entire flight. If you don't have a good answer, ask yourself what information you're missing then find a way to get it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one of the most succinct descriptions of safe heliski operations, and applicable to all mountain flying and winter ops. There is great advice relevant to the OP on power margins.

I put this together as a basic information package on heliskiing. It's not everything that you need to know, but it's a start.

In the past some have ripped it apart, I suppose that's to be expected on the internet. Take from it what you can. If anybody has something to add to it, please do.

"4961"

There are several things to consider before a days work heli-skiing. The following are just a few:

1) Weather:

1) Your personal level of training and visibility limitations (are you half mile rated?)

2) What are the temperature and the due point, and how will it effect your day?

3) Fog and cloud in relationship to imbedded snow.

4) Is there going to be any icing, where and at what level?

5) What is the weather trend for the day? How will it affect you?

6) Find the wind direction and the speed.

7) Use the WAT chart for the 212. For the Astar, will you be torque limited or NG?

Power management is critical in mountain flying, do everything that you can to insure that you will have sufficient power to provide safe approaches. This being said the weather is usually the largest contributing factor in heliskiing mishaps. Arm yourself with all the information that you can. Use the discreet radio to get information on the weather in other places in the tenure. “Operation white thong” is a humorous way of getting the point across that the weather is unacceptable for continued operations. Pull out and go home.

If you’re flying more than one group, anticipate how long it’s going to take you to pull out all of your groups compared to how the weather is degrading. If need be, shuttle groups to a place that can be used as a staging area as you pull the other groups out of the hills.

2) Mountain Flying:

a) The recci, gather information on:

1) Wind speed and direction; find the line of demarcation, both good and bad air.

2) Available references at the landing area. As well as available reference for an aborted landing.

3) Terrain, slope and obstacles. Use and eye level pass, where is the tail going to go? Is the spot level? How deep is the snow? Will the blades clear the reference once the nose sinks in?

4) Approach and departure paths.

cool.gif On Approach be sure to always:

1) Plan your approach paths using your best reference, including your abort.

2) Plan your approach so that you remain un-committed for as long as possible.

3) Leave yourself an out until the last possible moment.

4) Complete a power check before you’re committed to the spot.

5) Plan a level touch down, no sideways movement.

6) Avoid a large run on landing.

Never:

1) Loose sight of your reference, sliding past your stake or rock. Be sure to have control of your rate of closure.

2) Flair at touchdown, you will put the tail into the snow.

3) Commit to the spot before it is necessary.

4) Assume the wind at the landing area.

c) Departures:

1) Vertical take off to clear out of the snowball from the rotor wash, also to clear the tail rotor from the clients.

2) Do a power check before committing to a take off; be sure that the skids are free from the snow. Don’t assume that you have the power.

3) Maintain your reference at all costs.

4) Getting a full group off the bottom of the hill can be the most challenging piece of flying that a pilot will do during a days heliskiing. Picking up at the base of a glacier with level terrain behind is a maneuver that will take lots of power. Be sure, if not, split the group.

3) Reference Management:

a) Always maintain your reference. If this is becoming difficult then maybe its time to get out of that area.

cool.gif Always turn towards your reference; never give it away until you have a fix on your next reference.

c) Remember that scale can be very difficult to judge. Be sure of the size of the object that you are, half buried steak, or a tree (is it big or small) think about how the illusion will affect your rate of closure.

d) It is harder to go downhill than uphill. Don’t get suckered into going for the landing when the vis is poor. Once you are there, your only half way. Once you’re off the landing in poor visibility, control your ground speed. Diving for the valley in bad weather is a recipe for disaster.

e) Have the demisting on before the clients get in the machine.

4) Operations:

a) Always maintain good communications with whom ever is flight watching.

cool.gif Staking new landings with clients on board will be done (as all things) at the pilots discretion, and saved for sunny days and favorable winds.

c) Your job is to fly the helicopter and decide where and when it is safe to fly and land, not the guides!

d) Don’t park the helicopter in an area that is exposed to avalanche.

e) If you are uncomfortable, or unsure, don’t do it. Error on the side of safety every time.

5) Customer Pressure:

a) The most common heliski accidents are lack of sufficient power to land or take off and loss of visual reference, the question is what happened? Why did this experienced pilot find himself in that position?

cool.gif Guides are not pilots, and have no say in aviation related decision making. Red flag phrases; “We can always get in there” “The last guy had no problem” “The rest of the groups are staying out” “It was fine a couple days ago” RECOGNIZE BAD ADVICE.

c) Other peoples decision making should not affect yours. Very small difference in weather, loading, comfort levels, experience can make the difference between go and no-go. Make your own calls and stick by them.

d) Make good safety calls, no matter what the customer says. We will back you up, every time. Heliskiing is no different than any other type of flying, our limits stay the same.

e) One half mile flight visibility, clear of cloud at all times. Max gross weight or below, always. Remain within the c of g envelope during all stages of your flight. Remain clear of icing. If you are unsure, don’t do it.

Um, pull up my hover performance page and let the aircraft tell me....

:P

Lol! That's what I'm saying. I don't know why in the civilian world they don't use 1. A PPC that covers departure, enroute, and arrival. 2. Tab data that covers your butt when conditions change. I guess they just dumb it down for us Army guys but I had so much performance data at my disposal it wasn't even funny. Could you imagine a UH-60 doing a high altitude air assault and then doing some quasi enroute hover power check prior to going in? You either know you got the power to pull it off or you don't. Like I said, the only unknown variable would be wind.

Unfortunately we still find ways of exceeding the performance envelope and balling up aircraft in the Army.

Lol! That's what I'm saying. I don't know why in the civilian world they don't use 1. A PPC that covers departure, enroute, and arrival. 2. Tab data that covers your butt when conditions change. I guess they just dumb it down for us Army guys but I had so much performance data at my disposal it wasn't even funny. Could you imagine a UH-60 doing a high altitude air assault and then doing some quasi enroute hover power check prior to going in? You either know you got the power to pull it off or you don't. Like I said, the only unknown variable would be wind.

Unfortunately we still find ways of exceeding the performance envelope and balling up aircraft in the Army.

I guess there was just more funding available when they put your training programs together, than for us Robbie Rangers?

I guess there was just more funding available when they put your training programs together, than for us Robbie Rangers?

Nah, same thing I deal with flying the 407. Just the performance section in a UH-60 -10 is about half the thickness of the entire 407 RFM. Even then we hardly look at the -10 for performance. It's all printed up from a PPC computer program these days. Combine that with tab data from the checklist and you've got everything you need to know as far as performance. In 3,700 hrs in flying the Hawk, those numbers never lied. Only time I drooped the rotor was in Afghanistan. Even then I knew I was going to be within 10 % of my max TRQ available before takeoff. All it took was the right gust of wind over the mountains to send the rotor somewhere below 95 %.

In the 407 I'm lucky that I have plenty of power and the environment (DA)I fly in generally is not a factor. Still, it would be nice to have some sort of tab data to give me a "snapshot" of my aircraft performance for actual conditions. I could make copies of RFM performance stuff and put it on my knee board but the tab data format I used in the Army is far better.

Velocity173-

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way".

When I need numbers to clue me in, I spend some time in the RFM plotting HOGE max altitude at anticipated OAT, MGTO, and charting approximations of allowable HOGE weights beyond that. I know my ship. My data may not come through the big green machine, but it's reliably sourced.

Even then, actual mileage may vary according to altitude, humidity, OAT, and individual machine capability. I fly minimum ships that barely meet power check, as well as aircraft with better than standard engines. I'm paid to use ALL of it, even if it exceeds the minimum design power standard reflected in the planning charts, as long as I don't exceed a limit.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 2

Velocity173-

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way".

When I need numbers to clue me in, I spend some time in the RFM plotting HOGE max altitude at anticipated OAT, MGTO, and charting approximations of allowable HOGE weights beyond that. I know my ship. My data may not come through the big green machine, but it's reliably sourced.

Even then, actual mileage may vary according to altitude, humidity, OAT, and individual machine capability. I fly minimum ships that barely meet power check, as well as aircraft with better than standard engines. I'm paid to use ALL of it, even if it exceeds the minimum design power standard reflected in the planning charts, as long as I don't exceed a limit.

No disagreement there. That's exactly how I operate. Although the tools that I had in the Army spoiled me, I use the same method that you use from the RFM to determine if a flight can be completed or not.