Unlucky? or the Luckiest?

So yesterday I flew over to MDJB, to pick up the owner of the helicopter. Its about a 1.7 in the Raven duce from our main base. I flew over with absolutely no abnormalities or anything that would indicate that the helicopter was about to do something stupid.

The owner and I got in, I fired her up, warmed her up, and asked for clearance.

Tower: "taxi hold short of runway 10"

"taxi hold short"

Tower: "cleared for takeoff as soon as you have the traffic on 3 mile final in sight".

I waited....and waited, scanning....got him.

"traffic in sight"

Tower: "cleared for takeoff behind the traffic"

I hovered the helicopter for about 2 min waiting for that airplane to go by so I could take off. I did my takeoff roll and at about 60 Kts and 100 ft I felt the dreaded "twitch" and the engine cough once.

Owner looks at me and said" "Did you feel that?"

As he was saying that I was doing a gauge scan, nothing out of the ordinary....then another twitch and the engine coughed twice, manifold pressure starting to rise

At this time I was at about 250 ft and just passed the runway.

"something isnt right im turning around to check it out"

By now my manifold pressure was fluctuating from 24" to about 28" she was definitely not feeling very good.

Tower: "are you having mechanical issues?"

"im just making a precautionary landing" trying not to attract any unwanted IDAC attention. IDAC is the FAA here....but my spanish is terrible and that would make for a bad combination.

I make a quick turn back to the runway and pointed directly down the taxiway to my original takeoff spot. I get to my 5 ft hover altitude and she is starting to really complain. Right as I hover up to my spot on the ramp the engine just quit! got the light and horn and I cushioned the landing with the first hover auto Ive done in about 2 years :P (I was only at about 2 ft hover so it was a non event)

I look behind me and see a crap load of smoke coming from the engine...it felt like I just had a PTSD attack. Some of you remember last year I had a S-58 burn up, so immediately I thought "FIRE! get the hell out!". look to my boss and tell him: "we are smoking, hop out and walk 100 ft in front of the helicopter". I get everything slowing down and I jump out...by then the smoke had gone. Turns out it was just oil in the cylinders burning. But there was oil pouring out from the engine's breather tube....

The airport that this occurred also just happened to be the one that I take the helicopter to for maintenance. Lucky me right? So our mechanic hauls the heli over to his hangar and starts tearing into her guts...more like an autopsy.....come to find out that 5 out of the 6 cylinders had compression ranging from 0-20 20 being the highest. Boat anchor.

so that is the story of my first engine failure...im starting to think that helicopters dont really like me much :P

post-15058-0-79275100-1368712940_thumb.jpg

post-15058-0-86668000-1368712967_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Heh. You're living right, son. A little further into that flight and...well let's not think about that. Anyway, so far so good for you! Now, ditch that Robbie job and come up to Washington and fly some real helicopters with me this summer. I need a drinking buddy. Well...*another* drinking buddy (you can never have too many).

Glad it worked out ;)

LOL! darn it Flying Pig you got me! still no word from the Mechanic on the cause. ill keep yall posted

The story I heard is that you had it trimmed for level flight and that you were actually in the back seat making mixed drinks with little umbrellas when this happened?

Lol, I didn't know this was an option in the R44, remove one seat and install a mini-bar?

Add it to the preflight checklist:

Open left bar door, check for glasses, stir-sticks, frilly umbrellas.

Open right bar door, inspect quantity of liquors. Sse provided sample-tester for quality.

That's what STCs are for

• 1 month later...

well my engine finally made it back to the factory for inspection and overhaul. they are saying that the broken valve was probably due to an engine overspeed from snapping on the throttle after a practice auto.

as this is not a training helicopter and we dont do many auto's i find that unlikely. i have done a few auto's by myself in the helicopter just to keep fresh but i havent overspeed it.

could either be Robinson just dosent want to admit fault, OR a previous pilot overspeed it and didnt tell anyone.

ive been told my helicopter is expected to be returned to service by the end of July...yeah right.

either way, im just sittin around with no helicopter and nothing to do. at least im getting paid!

Wow... "gaurdian angel" is right, I'm glad you turned around.

I'm a little curious as to the chain of events inside the engine though. So the first cough and twitch on your takeoff roll was the valve breaking off? Then the fluctuating MP as you came back was the valve getting chewed up by the piston?

How long was the whole sequence from first indication that something was up to complete failure of the engine?

Edited by hooked4life

it coughed, on takeoff at about 100 ft, started to see a slow gradual rise in MP, began my turn back to the airport, more coughs, hovered up to my spot, light and horn, dead engine. all happened in about a min and 30 sec probably. one thing i will give to piston helicopters, they will tell you if they have a belly ache before they go tits up on ya. saved my bacon

also come to find out all 6 of the cylinders had lost compression for some reason. anybody have any clues as to why one valve goes Kaput and the rest of the engine follows suit?

also come to find out all 6 of the cylinders had lost compression for some reason. anybody have any clues as to why one valve goes Kaput and the rest of the engine follows suit?

I have seen it before. Pieces of the valve migrate through the engine. It really doesn't take much.

• Like 1

Wear metal and especially chunks of broke parts cause a lot of damage quick. Not quite as quick as a blade separation in a turbine that "corn cobs" the entire compressor an takes out the turbines...but still pretty quick.

What do the rest of Cylinders look like there must be a reason for low compression ?

The Ex valve looks like it is tuliping as well or is that just photo.

the rest of the cylinders looked fine. no visible damage at all. thats why i was a bit confused on why they would loose compression.