By the numbers: USAREC recruiting goal

Thanks for the post. 316 Flight warrants seems like a number I can deal with, what gets me excited is the 220 for 160th SOAR as I feel I was born to be a Night Stalker.

There is absolutely nothing exciting about those numbers except be glad it isn't zero.

• Like 1

Exciting may seem like the wrong word but anything above zero is exciting to me... specifically relating to the 160th. The numbers are not high by any means but the Air Force postponed OTS boards so after reading all that doom and gloom I see this and it made my day.

post-41983-0-15180700-1388900742_thumb.jpg

Exciting may seem like the wrong word but anything above zero is exciting to me... specifically relating to the 160th. The numbers are not high by any means but the Air Force postponed OTS boards so after reading all that doom and gloom I see this and it made my day.

No joke, I used that exact same dumb and dumber reference a few months ago on this very board. Hope we meet in the Army flight world at some point haha

• Like 1

No joke, I used that exact same dumb and dumber reference a few months ago on this very board. Hope we meet in the Army flight world at some point haha

I have seen your name around this board quite often, always helpful, and it would be an honor to work together at some point. Best of luck to you!

-John

All the good perks seem to be dying, life in a low budget world. Regardless, all I see is a chance and if I wanted to be a Night Stalker for the money I would just say the heck with the Army all together and continue flying as a contractor. Over optimistic, maybe... a little childish even, maybe... but I want to be in the 160th!!!

All the good perks seem to be dying, life in a low budget world. Regardless, all I see is a chance and if I wanted to be a Night Stalker for the money I would just say the heck with the Army all together and continue flying as a contractor. Over optimistic, maybe... a little childish even, maybe... but I want to be in the 160th!!!

Why the 160th?

Oh, I never wanted to be in the 160th, only reason I would go is for the money.

Ah that's totally fair. Going there for a bonus seemed pretty dumb to me haha the hours, the exceptional training and budget, unique missions and airframes, and the opportunity to contribute to an organization like the US special operations community are a few of my reasons for making it my far goal.

• Like 3

Ah that's totally fair. Going there for a bonus seemed pretty dumb to me haha the hours, the exceptional training and budget, unique missions and airframes, and the opportunity to contribute to an organization like the US special operations community are a few of my reasons for making it my far goal.

I've done multiple missions in direct support of various "swoopy" organizations without being 160th, 143 missions to be exact. I've seen National Guard Chinooks do more insertions and extractions on high profile missions than the 160th. The 160th does serve a purpose, but they are not the only team on the playing field. They're not even the All-Star team.

• Like 3

I've done multiple missions in direct support of various "swoopy" organizations without being 160th, 143 missions to be exact. I've seen National Guard Chinooks do more insertions and extractions on high profile missions than the 160th. The 160th does serve a purpose, but they are not the only team on the playing field. They're not even the All-Star team.

I'm not naive enough to think they are the only unit that gets to work with "swoopy" organizations. I've seen first hand way more important missions done without them than I have seen done using them but when they come to play I'm like a kid a 13 year old girl watching a Bieber concert. Maybe it is just the flash they project, but they draw me in like no other. I'm so far away from assessing it doesn't really matter at this point but that is where I in vision myself making a difference. Last of all, I think they will stay the busiest during peacetime with the best missions.

It appears the aviator slots aren't that much lower than recent years posted by the aviation school house at Ft Rucker, especially FY2010. Just a 6.5% reduction regarding FY 2010.The average split was 43% WOFT & 57% In-service Enlisted for the years stated below. As someone mentioned, AF OTS has been suspended until further notice, more than likely to Oct 2014.

FY 2008 Active Duty

511 Total Slots

223 WOFT

288 In-service Enlisted

FY 2009 Active Duty

433 Total Slots

175 WOFT

258 In-service Enlisted

FY 2010 Active Duty

338 Total Slots

135 WOFT

203 In-service Enlisted

FY 2011 Active Duty

382 Total Slots

177 WOFT

205 In-service Enlisted

Would anyone have information on flight school stats for FY 2012 & 2013? Unfortunately Lindsey is crawling around in the mud. Hopefully you guys and gals will fly more than 1 day a week. Peacetime can be that way sometimes.

Not saying they are the end all be all by any means. However, they are resourced for success and I hope to become the best I possibly can in this line of work while contributing what I can to a consistently demanding mission set. Being "swoopy" isn't a deciding factor for me, it's about the community and the opportunities for betterment.

• Like 2

Concerning the 160th.

The bonus money really shouldn't be considered an incentive for going to the 160th so much as it is an incentive for not bailing out once in.

It's not about the money. It is about compensation for the way that it screws up your personal life. Gone with very little warning, for unknown periods of time, to unknown places. It's not all glamorous. Much of it sucks. With the regular Army you have deployments of course, but you can at least forecast your life a little more. And to be honest, anybody that has been an aviator for more than a day has done missions that are just as dark, dangerous, and "swoopy" as 99% of the people in the 160th.

The money is an incentive to keep you there and that is the not so well kept secret. Once you've got the money it's hard to go back to a life without it so you stick it out through the suck of what has become your existence. While some might, few do it in greatest part for the money. Many people like the suck factor. But, if the money isn't there to offset the suck, my guess is that not only will they see the same shortages for ages to come, but people are gonna bail.

• Like 1

Concerning the 160th.

The bonus money really shouldn't be considered an incentive for going to the 160th so much as it is an incentive for not bailing out once in.

It's not about the money. It is about compensation for the way that it screws up your personal life. Gone with very little warning, for unknown periods of time, to unknown places. It's not all glamorous. Much of it sucks. With the regular Army you have deployments of course, but you can at least forecast your life a little more. And to be honest, anybody that has been an aviator for more than a day has done missions that are just as dark, dangerous, and "swoopy" as 99% of the people in the 160th.

The money is an incentive to keep you there and that is the not so well kept secret. Once you've got the money it's hard to go back to a life without it so you stick it out through the suck of what has become your existence. While some might, few do it in greatest part for the money. Many people like the suck factor. But, if the money isn't there to offset the suck, my guess is that not only will they see the same shortages for ages to come, but people are gonna bail.

Makes sense. Part of the reason I'm interested in the 160th is for the suck factor. That may sound extremely odd to some folks but I like being the group that has hours notice rather than months. My personal life sucks already anyway, perks of being a contractor for years. I'm sure I'll grow out of this one day, but right now I just want to be part of the "suck" with or without extra compensation. Not like I'm home long enough to enjoy the money anyway, that will come in handy nicely when I retire though so bonuses to stay and keep doing it make perfect sense.

• Like 1

Makes sense. Part of the reason I'm interested in the 160th is for the suck factor. That may sound extremely odd to some folks but I like being the group that has hours notice rather than months. My personal life sucks already anyway, perks of being a contractor for years. I'm sure I'll grow out of this one day, but right now I just want to be part of the "suck" with or without extra compensation. Not like I'm home long enough to enjoy the money anyway, that will come in handy nicely when I retire though so bonuses to stay and keep doing it make perfect sense.

LOL, if you like doing things at the drop of a hat, the 160th is definitely not for you. They need 72 hours to plan a flight from parking to refuel.

• Like 1

LOL, if you like doing things at the drop of a hat, the 160th is definitely not for you. They need 72 hours to plan a flight from parking to refuel.

Brackac you speak from personal experience from being in the 160th? or what you see them do from an outsiders perspective down range?

alot of talk about 160th like you were in it, if you were in it you wouldn't be talking like this unless you got a swift kick in the ass on your way out