What's the latest scoop on AGE WAIVERS?

There has been talk about the drawdown and how it could affect the selection rate. For civilians, the Jan. Board had 80% selection (12 out of 15). The last several Boards before that were between 70-80%. It seems the drawdown hasn't taken its toll yet?

Not sure if Stearman is still on the boards but he's said in the past that they've not accepted candidates with waivers on some boards. Depends on how competitive the particular board is.

Years ago in WOBC we had a CW5 board member explain the reasoning behind the then 30 yr old limit. They figure that someone off the street who joins at 30 will be 50 at retirement. They've determined that around 50 yrs old is when some of the disqualifying medical conditions will crop up for some people. In order to protect their investment, they came up with the 30 (now 33) year old restriction.

How recent were these Boards where they didn't select those with waivers? Is it just certain types of waivers?

How recent were these Boards where they didn't select those with waivers? Is it just certain types of waivers?

I don't know how long ago. He made the comment sometime last year on another thread. Things haven't changed much since then.

You all are hung up on wanting to know your chances and percentages. Do the work, put in your packet and see what happens. When it comes down to it you're asking the Army to waive one of the basic requirements. The board has the right to choose someone else who meets all the basic requirements. If your packet stands out then I'm sure they can look past the age thing.

Could be worse. The other branches have even more restrictions on the age limit compared to the Army.

My recruiter and I haven't figured out the chain of command that's supposed to sign off on age waivers? Does anyone have any insight on this (Flim, I know you provided some already)? We're thinking it goes to the Battalion Commander first, and then to Rucker along with the completed packet?

There is always an exception. It's all about who you know and who is looking at your paperwork. Anyone who wants it bad enough will find a way to get it.

And then there's the gaurd...

😧

Picturing a lone guy at Rucker, sitting in a cubicle somewhere. A waiver request gets thrown on his desk. He's still recovering from a rough morning with the wife. Denied. Yikes, hope it doesn't come down to that!

A lot of things in the military come down to luck. I had orders to Rucker hoping to be an IP. The orders didn't specify what unit I was going to. I reported in to some CW5 upstairs in the SSC. He looked at some sheet and said "OK, where can we send you? Hmm, how about F Co at Lowe to for the IP course?" I knew plenty of guys that were hoping to be IPs and ended up 1-145th, TACOPS, TAC Officers, platform instructors etc. Needless to say, they weren't happy. :(

From what I remember your recruiter passes it up the chain, they pass it wherever, then it goes to proponent at Rucker. They look over everything (strength of your packet) and either recommend approving or disapproving it before sending it to HRC for final decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking through some old Army websites -- was surprised to know that the age limit was 29 some years back, then 32, and now it's 33. As they've drawn down the wars, they've continued to raise it. Maybe they've realized the ole guys bring something special to the table?

Was looking through some old Army websites -- was surprised to know that the age limit was 29 some years back, then 32, and now it's 33. As they've drawn down the wars, they've continued to raise it. Maybe they've realized the ole guys bring something special to the table?

Like hemorrhoids?

• Like 1

The maximum age increase coincided with the increase in OPTEMPO in both wars, especially leading up to 2005. Combine this with the influx of hundreds of millions of dollars into the pockets of Army Aviation after the Comanche program was cancelled, which allowed the Army to purchase additional aircraft and upgrade the entire fleet. They had to increase the age to increase the pool of qualified applicants.

You don't seriously believe that the army sees WO1's as wise, experienced, or mature do you?

Actually other than Army aviation the do see them as wise and mature.

You can thank your predecessors before you for giving W01s thier current label.

Actually other than Army aviation the do see them as wise and mature.

You can thank your predecessors before you for giving W01s thier current label.

I remember reading an article in Flightfax about flying the old inter-german border single pilot, in an OH-58A, as a WO1. I can't even imagine the army doing something like that these days.

I remember reading an article in Flightfax about flying the old inter-german border single pilot, in an OH-58A, as a WO1. I can't even imagine the army doing something like that these days.

My father was a PIC, in Vietnam, with only 20 hours after flight school.