iPad mini 5

Anyone know if the new mini is approved for flight? PX has a good deal on it right now and I am considering getting it.

Current AWR expires today, so hopefully the one starting next month has it on there. GPS is not particularly useful during the initial VFR training, but like others said is nice for plotting position and for approach plates.

It wasn't (I'm pretty sure), but I've heard of people using it at Rucker anyways. You know what they say about rumors, though.

Probably no one in the Army outside of a few dicks at DES will care. Have you ever seen anyone turn off their phone or smart watch before jumping in the cockpit?

Also with the cellular you have the option to then get a data plan as well. When I switch up my Verizon plan I am going to add it for like 15$s. Just allows updates on the fly, checking weather and notams a little easier, and the plotting of where you are at can be helpful for SA. The other option is to get wifi and tether to your phone but thats just some extra hoops and may be frowned on by an IP depending how strict they are. But like the guys said it all depends on who you get.

I talked to my IP about it, and he said the only reason the 5 doesn’t have an AWR is because the iPads come out so often no one wants to spend the money on testing it. The general consensus is that it’s perfectly fine to fly with them because they are basically the same as the 4 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used it in the th-67 course and having the cellular was awesome bc foreflight has reminders to get ATIS and call tower, the charts also updated automatically. No one seemed to care I was told by other IPs they really don’t care no one is going to make you pull up the model number and check it. Just make sure the charts are up to date.

Honestly if you’re relying on foreflight to remind you to make radio calls you’re way, way behind the airplane. Maybe for the first couple weeks of flight school where everything is a challenge to do while also trying to fly it’s not a bad idea but past that time it’s a crutch you shouldn’t need. 

• 2 weeks later...