$50k to $69.9k spent to make $50k

Posted at JH by !!!!!!!!!!:

I only lasted 6 weeks in the GOM

I'ts the most humiliating job i have ever had in aviation, living in a trailer, or in offshore in sea shack, doing boring flying over water all day, smelling bird sh*t, having to do engine rinses and sometimes wash the aircraft after a days flying, working in extreme heat, and all for what ever stupid little salary you will get in the GOM, I can see a up to the neck SSH graduate with 50k in debt doing it because he has no choice but I can't imagine why would grown man with some self respect throwing away half of his life in there. Think about it before you head out there, it's a bottom of the scale job.

I saw that post oh JH too.

Different strokes for folks, I have no aspirations to become a GOM pilot, but if they want better working/living conditions, then they should all unionize and go on strike together. The fact that they have not, leads me to believe, most of the pilots flying in the GOM are just fine with things the way they are.

I'ts the most humiliating job i have ever had in aviation, living in a trailer, or in offshore in sea shack, doing boring flying over water all day, smelling bird sh*t, having to do engine rinses and sometimes wash the aircraft after a days flying, working in extreme heat, and all for what ever stupid little salary you will get in the GOM, I can see a up to the neck SSH graduate with 50k in debt doing it because he has no choice but I can't imagine why would grown man with some self respect throwing away half of his life in there. Think about it before you head out there, it's a bottom of the scale job.

Beats four walls and a desk any day...for me at least.

JPDPilot

Ho humm, same ole thing! Helicopter employment is baddd. Fry said he is a Pilot and father of 3 that have gone to college on another thread. Is that all you have done in your lifetime? Just a helicopter pilot? There are others here that are multi talented..Do you get it that some people just want to fly? There are some coming over from being burned out at there present jobs. IF you are burnt out flying, leave...its ok, really.

Short don't list..

1.Don't be a garbage man you will get hot/cold and smell trash all day.

2.Don't work in the oil field you can't stay at the Hilton and you will have to get dirty, plus you might not like the pay.

3.Don't be a mechanic, because you get greasy, mash fingers and bleed, don't get really paid for the aggrevation the customer gives you, and not counting the relentless hounding from your boss to hurry hurry hurry to get the job done so you can start the next one.

4.Um, don't go to Venice Italy in the summer time because it still is pretty like in the post cards, but you smell dead fish and bird sh*t, oh and your paying and traveling 15 hrs flight time to go smell it..And the list goes on.

Boring, no value to this post please delete.

One mans junk another mans treasure.

Some things in life ARE not what they seem and that covers a lot more than helicopters.

Why post this stuff?? It is one persons perception or an attempt to keep people from flying. I have spoken to pilots who flew there and loved it. It is all relative and if you have lived on this planet long enough you know that not everything in life is perfect. There are ALWAYS going to be things in life you do not like.

As far as the spending 60K to make 50K...well, how many people do you know who have two SUV's in their driveway worht well over 60K and what will that get them in 5 years?

Just my two cents.

As much as Fry's pessimistic attitude towards posting grates on me, I'm going to have to say this post was the "least upsetting."

He posted someone's opinion of flying in the Gulf, period. When things suck, we tend to dramatize, much like we do when we think they're great. It's just an opinion and having both good and bad is important. He's not (directly at least) attacking someone's decision, nor is he calling into question someone's intelligence.

To me, the post is as valid as someone saying "The GOM is awesome and I love it. Everyday is perfect, and I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to work here." Neither one is completely accurate, but both can lead to great questions for more detail.

Did I just defend fry? I must be running a fever.. :P

Heck, in my case, I might just like that. I mean, I've spent the last 27 years working in jobs that don't pay more that $12/hr. If I need to spend $60k for $30k pay raise, I'm doin' it. I'm tired of working a low wage dead-end job with no hope for advancement. I enjoy the flying bit and even if it's over water and back and forth, I'm still gonna like it. I really want to fly fires. Maybe that'll come.

Fry,

Later

Why are you so NEGATIVE about absolutely EVERYTHING? What the hell happened to you in your career as a pilot that left such a bad taste in your mouth? Did a certain company "screw you", are helo's that bad, what is it with you?

Good God man, I have NEVER seen anything other than NEGATIVE on your post's. SERIOUSLY not trying to be mean or cruel here, but for a person to be THIS negative about anything, something BAD had to happen!

Tell us the actual story instead of just posting all the negative stuff man. Maybe someone out there can learn from whatever this evil bad thing that obviously happened to you.

Why are you so NEGATIVE about absolutely EVERYTHING? What the hell happened to you in your career as a pilot that left such a bad taste in your mouth? Did a certain company "screw you", are helo's that bad, what is it with you?

Good God man, I have NEVER seen anything other than NEGATIVE on your post's. SERIOUSLY not trying to be mean or cruel here, but for a person to be THIS negative about anything, something BAD had to happen!

Tell us the actual story instead of just posting all the negative stuff man. Maybe someone out there can learn from whatever this evil bad thing that obviously happened to you.

Fry is not a pilot. He is a flight school washout that never made it, and his only way to justify his failure is to tear down the profession.

Very sad. It's too bad there is not a kill file here you could type his name into to ignore.

Are any of us in this with the impression that we will be rich and live a glamorous life? I guess there's a few but most of us just want to fly. In any job when you are a rookie you need to pay your dues, break a sweat, do some dirty work. Suck it up, if you don't like it then quit, you can always fly fixed wing. :rolleyes:

I guess its all in how you look at it. i took the above info and added a few words...in red

I can't believe I’ve only been here a year, it seems like its only lasted 6 weeks in the GOM

Unlike my previous job of cleaning toilets (It’s the most humiliating job I have ever had btw) in aviation, living in a trailer, or in offshore in sea shack, even doing boring flying over water all day, and smelling bird sh*t is like a dream come true!, having to do engine rinses and sometimes wash the aircraft after a days flying gives me great satisfaction and provide time to reflect on what I did right and what I could improve upon. I can’t believe that this company would entrust me with a million dollar machine, even working in extreme heat is a pleasure when compared to my prior job, and all for what, a great view from my office in the sky? F’n awesome!! I feel ever more stupid that I would do this for free but I get this little gift every week of a nice salary can you believe it? Just wanted to give everyone a heads up of what you will get in the GOM, I can see a up to the neck SSH graduate with 50k in debt doing it because he has no choice but to jump on this great opportunity. I can't imagine why would grown man with some self respect wouldn’t do this kind of fulfilling work. I also can’t imagine a person throwing away half of his life in an office when there if even a small chance of working in the GOM exists. Think about it before you head out there, and truly appreciate the opportunity. It's a long way up from bottom of the rotation in the GOM pilot pool but your pay scale will be determined partially on your ability and partially on your attitude about the job.

Hey guys

Is it really that competitive in the rotor world. I've been wanting my pilots lic (esp rotor) for a while and am starting to look around for a school in the area. I would prefer to do it full time, but when looking at job postings, I thought I got a bad resource for jobs or something. None were paying over 60-70k that advertised their compensation. Salary.com has it between 45 - 90k. Yea, I know that those that pay would not have to post it, but I was where Witch was (garbage jobs) till about 10 years ago, then trained for the IT field and make a bit better then these seem to pay plus full benis.

I want to fly BAD, and would love to do fire, rescue or something where precision and cahones come in. I should be making near 6 figures once I complete my degree in a year or so, which is why I'm hesitant to go for a career thing. Based on your posts, you'll prob say "stay non-commercial, more jobs for us" - lol

What is the upper end ($$) for a talented, skilled (instrument, long line, ect), person who's willing to do whatever the job requires, whenever it requires it?

As soon as you say JH I just stop reading.

And that's from the unmoderated "original" forum. Half of those posters AREN'T EVEN PILOTS.

DAMN, my dreams are shot down... I thought FOR SURE this was my way to becoming a millionaire!! The recruiter lied to me!

With the jokes aside, flying is the glamorous life in my mind... gettin' to do what I want to do in life. It's the poor souls in the back that just don't truly understand all the fun that is associated with being on the controls!

Is Fry flying a kite, or is the origional post post his from JH he says from !!!!!!!!!? dont allways agree with him but cut some slack. :wacko:

spell checker dissapeared again Da*

It doesn't matter what the hell happens, will happen, or happened in your "career". We're all here because we love to fly the fling-wings.

DAMN, my dreams are shot down... I thought FOR SURE this was my way to becoming a millionaire!! The recruiter lied to me!

With the jokes aside, flying is the glamorous life in my mind... gettin' to do what I want to do in life. It's the poor souls in the back that just don't truly understand all the fun that is associated with being on the controls!

"The recruiter lied to me!"

:lol:

MF post of the day!!

Hey All,

I have been behind on my e newsletter reading from Vertical Mag. I ran across this article tonight. Bristow is saying they will need about 900-1000 new pilots the next 5 years!

July 10, 2007, 7:56PM

Moneymakers

Five questions with Bill Chiles

Helicopter services firm is riding a wave of booming offshore drilling

By BRETT CLANTON

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle news services

The Bristow Group is taking off.

The Houston-based provider of helicopter services to the oil and gas industry just turned in its best profit year. It's pushing into new countries and is aiming to double sales by 2011. The company is also spending $1 billion to update its fleet of 345 helicopters. It has 31 helicopters on order and options on 52.

With offshore oil and gas drilling increasing everywhere from the Gulf of Mexico to Nigeria, demand for transportation to remote offshore rigs is rising, along with rates for helicopter rides.

That's why Bill Chiles, Bristow's CEO, believes his firm is in a good position to keep flying high in Houston and around the world. Chiles spoke with Chronicle business reporter Brett Clanton about what's ahead for Bristow.

Q: Your company has a goal to double revenues to $1.5 billion by 2011. How do you plan to do that?

A: When I arrived in 2004, I didn't think we could do that in our traditional business, by just expanding in the oil and gas business. I thought we were going to have to look at other markets to expand into, like air medical. There are plenty of other areas where helicopters are used. But surprisingly, what's happened, we've seen such a dramatic expansion in the oil and gas business globally.

We can grow at a 15 to 18 percent compounded annual rate just in our traditional business, primarily through the acquisition of new helicopters and deployment of new helicopters around the world.

Q: Your company likes to point out to investors that your revenues are less volatile than those of other energy-related businesses. Why is that?

A: I spent 32 years in the offshore drilling business. It's probably one of the most volatile sectors in the oil and gas business because it is highly correlated to commodity prices.

When oil and natural gas prices are high, oil and gas exploration and development activity is very high. But when commodity prices fall, you see a drop in drilling activity around the world.

Not so in the helicopter business. Our business is highly correlated to operating expenditures, which are expenditures related to running and maintaining production operations. It's much more fixed.

Production is going to continue to go on whether commodity prices are high or low. Oil companies don't shut these operations in when oil drops below a certain level, generally.

Q: I understand many helicopter pilots are expected to retire in coming years. How big of a problem is that for your business?

A: Several things are working against us. We have growth in the number of pilots that are required. We have the retirement of pilots — a large portion of our work force are pilots who started their careers out of the military after Vietnam in the '70s. Then we have normal attrition.

So we're going to need about 900 to 1,000 pilots to fill our seats over the next five years. It's a big, big problem for us.

Q: How would your business be affected by an active hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico?

A: It does have somewhat of an effect on our revenue. It cancels out, though. We work really hard to evacuate the Gulf of Mexico on the front end of the storm. Then we have to move our aircraft out of the way. That's done at our expense.

Then when the storm passes, we move those aircraft back and we move all the people back. So we get some flying hours from moving these people around. But we're generally shut down for three to five days.

Q: We hear a lot these days about the growing influence of national oil companies. How is Bristow addressing that trend?

A: Part of our strategy is to make a major push to become closer to the national oil companies like Petrobras (in Brazil), Pemex (in Mexico) and Statoil (in Norway). The vast majority of the reserves around the world are in the hands of national oil companies. And they now have the ability to go out and do things on their own without partnering with the international oil companies. So they are going to be the customers of the future.

brett.clanton@chron.com

PHI not doing as good as Bristow.. I would quote the article but it has a copy write clause at the bottom.

Article