THREAT TO HELO INDUSTY - NEED U TO TAKE ACTION TODAY!

Grave Threat to Helicopter Industry - Need Industry to Take Action by June 24, 2010

Due to pressure from New York Senator Charles Schumer, the FAA is looking to pass new mandatory VFR flight corridors for helicopters over Eastern Long Island. This is being done SOLEY for noise abatement reasons. If this passes, this could be the one greatest threat to helicopter aviation in this history of modern flight. This could enable and empower the FAA to create restrictions on helicopter flights based on noise complaints. This has far reaching consequences.

WHAT CAN YOU DO RIGHT NOW AS AN OPERATOR, PILOT, or MECHANIC?

Visit this website to learn more and fill out one simple petition form letter http://www.erhc.org/nprmpublic.asp Let your voice be heard on the issue, please fill out this online form BEFORE midnight of the 24th of June to voice your opinion. The form will take 2 minutes to fill out and will be sent as a petition to the FAA.

Submitted my letter as well.

To be honest, I thought this thread was spam, until I saw that Lyn posted it. :lol:

On a serious note, GUYS, SUBMIT YOUR LETTERS.

Sadly as EDSPilot and I can attest we have seen what this does already with the ADIZ and FRZ around Washington DC. These rules will be very damaging to the aviation community if they are approved and will set a horrible precedent around the country. If the rest of the country creates airspace like what is over DC, aviation in general as we know it will cease to exist.

Done.

It makes me angry that a vocal and ignorant minority equipped with yardsticks and video cameras can be taken so seriously...

I'm afraid though, that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I think the aviation community needs more than a signed petition to combat this idiocy.

Done.

"I also question the purpose of the NPR, as it specificly mentions helicopter traffic. I am a Commercial Rotorcraft pilot and CFI. As an aviation enthusiast, I have heard some airplanes, and many more seaplanes, as loud as helicopters."

Kevin M

Did it. Seems like as a student I have enough to worry about already, let alone having someone's political agenda dictate how and where I can fly. Admittedly, here in KS I am fairly removed from this particular issue, and by submitting my petition I hope to keep it that way!

Signed the petition but I agree with palmfish that more should be done to combat the growing regulation of aeronautical navigation for political reasons. Pretty soon every homeowner's association in America will have no-fly zones over their neighborhoods.

Done.

It makes me angry that a vocal and ignorant minority equipped with yardsticks and video cameras can be taken so seriously...

I'm afraid though, that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I think the aviation community needs more than a signed petition to combat this idiocy.

I was thinking the same thing.. we are dealing with a similar, but much smaller issue, here in Colorado at one of our peripheral airports. People buy land right next to an airport, develop it, and then try to get the airport closed down (which in this case has been there for 50 years).

Has anyone contacted AOPA on this issue, HAI, Magazines? I'll start with all of my contacts tomorrow.. the more people we can get paying attention to this the better...

dp

This was posted 1 October 2007 on another site

To combat helicopter traffic, Senator Charles Schumer recently held a press conference where he announced his intention to submit legislation regulating helicopter traffic over residential properties. He proposes that all helicopter traffic fly over water only. The senator stated that helicopter traffic to the Hamptons has increased exponentially each year, a 30 percent increase this year over last year. It was reported more than 2,200 flights registered at Southampton Airport this year already. Senator Schumer wants a study conducted and, within 90 days, the findings of that report. He knows these flyovers affect the quality of life of hundreds of thousands of residents under the fly paths.

According to the senator, helicopters have no minimum altitude requirements when en route, although they must maintain safe clearance from obstructions on the ground. In areas where airspace is congested, especially near commercial airports, the senator continued, the FAA does have some specified routes and altitude requirements designed to keep larger aircraft and helicopters at a safe distance. Helicopter pilots must comply with these prescribed routes or altitudes in certain areas.

Senator Schumer's legislation also requires the FAA to study the possibility of requiring helicopter lanes over Long Island and whether or not to impose an altitude floor to force helicopters high enough to be out of earshot. The senator was expected to push his legislation as an amendment to the 2007 FAA Reauthorization bill, to be considered on the Senate floor.

Senator Schumer believes the best way to reduce helicopter noise over Long Island's residential communities is for the FAA to establish an islandwide series of helicopter flight corridors that would divert aircraft away from homes, to preferably over the water. Schumer noted that emergency and news helicopters would certainly be exempt from any rules and regulations in an emergency.

"Helicopter noise turns beautiful summers on Long Island into the ultimate headache. Long Islanders are constantly interrupted in their homes and their communities when helicopters can just as easily fly over water where they wouldn't be a burden," he said.