Which airframe are you wanting, or chosen, and why?

So here in the Army we choose our advanced airframes (for the most part).

So what do you plan on saying when they call your name?

64D, 60l or 60M, 47D or 47F, or 58D. In theroy the occasional UH72 or fixed wing slot.

I really want 58s. I want to fly AH6s for TF160 so this is a good path to take.

My day is far away for my pick's on airframes. But when I get the chance I'm going for 60's or 58's. I ship out on the 18th for Lwood. Then doing WOCS first week of april. This last week is taking the longest to get threw, super excited to start getting on with life, and a new adventure!! :D

I've got a long way until I choose my airframe too! I still have to be selected!

Either way, it's really a toss up between 64s and 58s for me. I'd love to fly for the 160th as well but I'm still under the impression that they don't have women flying for them.

If that's still the case, I'll try and be the first. :)

I've got a long way until I choose my airframe too! I still have to be selected!Either way, it's really a toss up between 64s and 58s for me. I'd love to fly for the 160th as well but I'm still under the impression that they don't have women flying for them.If that's still the case, I'll try and be the first. :)

If that's still the case, I'll try and be the first. :)

R-

That's the best position & attitude - bold and confident...and I would not be surprised if you wrote one day the you were the first in the 160th.

Very much like a college student who was completing a final for philosophy. A simple question: "Please define Courage."

The student finished a response in about 5 seconds, verified the proper information was on the front of the essay bluebook, got up and left it on the instructor's desk and left the classroom. This obviously startled the rest of the class and they knew this person just failed the course. The instructor was also a bit taken back by the situation as the examination was dedicated 3 hours for completion (you know the ones). Anyhow, after the student left, the instructor picked up the bluebook, spent a couple moments reading it, shook his head, wrote something in it and put it down.

Later in the week, grades were posted and this particular student was awarded the only "A" out of 60+ students.

So what is the definition of courage? That student's response...

"This is."

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I will 100% guarantee you will change your mind 30 times between now and selection, which for you, is about 2 years away. Each time you change you will be certain that there is a legitimate reason why and you are not changing your mind again. And then you will go to select and your airframe you settled on is not in the line up at all, youll get something that you totally did not want, or so you thought, and then you will fly it and love the hell out of it. There really are NO bad airframes in the Army, except for the Kiowa. :D

Something you should all seriously consider is the mission of each airframe, and not so much the aircraft itself. They are all great aircraft in their own way, but its the mission that you'll be out there performing each day that will truly make you happy and keep it enjoyable. Remember, the Army can sometimes take the fun out of flying, keep with it and have the right attitude and you'll go far. Good luck to you all! Oh, and hawks are awesome! :)

LoL what's wrong with Kiowas??? ;)

What is wrong with them?

From the outside looking in they seem like bad A$$ little heli's. I know from my AF experience though that can be deceiving and the military want's the tax payers to believe everything they own is top of the line.

Do they have a poor FMC rate, survivability rate or what?

My choice if I can get in... A green one! May shy away from the chinook though, just because my personality is more of a sports car/Muscle car type guy and less the trucker/buss driver type. They are incredible machines though, Ugly but incredible. Just my opinion from the outside looking in.

Count me in for the OH-58 to AH-6 or MH-6 path. I'm reading "In the company of Heros" by Mike Durant now. I highly recommend it. As has been said already, though, before I can worry about accessing for 160th SOAR, I have to worry about getting selected for WOFT, Basic, WOCS ect, ect. It is still motivating to have goals, though.

Pick the MISSION, Not the Airframe.

Do you want to Hunt People, Kill Them, Carry Troops to battle, Carry Arty/troops/supplies to battle?

Any of them is great, all of them focus on what wins the battles and wars - Infantry.

And, why are USAF personnel commenting on Army Aircraft and their effectiveness?!

As a Gun Pilot I can tell you that 58D's earn their great reputation.

P.S. The reason I chose to be a Gun Pilot over the other airframes was because I wanted to be able to be able to spread the most 'hate and discontent on the enemy'.

Again, research the Missions of each community and choose that. Not based on someone's opinion from another service...WTF!?

• Like 2

And, why are USAF personnel commenting on Army Aircraft and their effectiveness?!

Again, research the Missions of each community and choose that. Not based on someone's opinion from another service...WTF!?

If you are reffering to my post, I apologize if you were not able to understand it's intent. Let me try again... I said that I thought that the Kiowa was a bad A$$ bird. (keep in mind the post was intended to be written as a question). In a few other posts prior to mine there were guys were knocking the Kiowa and not really any other airframes. This had me wondering why, and what better way to find out than ask the guys with experience right. That is what I thought I was doing. I also felt it should be blatantly clear that I didn't have any experience in the Army and that my post was based solely on my observations and personal opinions...I thought I did that too, and evidently in doing so removed my own right to communicate with any sister service members.

As for why I posted... I read the title! I am considering crossing over, and didn't know because I am serving in another branch that I was excluded from this particular thread on VR... This brings up another question. Is it common practice for an Army Aviator to display the same level of proffesionalism and respect that you do?

• 3 years later...

09W - BCT 20140715

WOCS 15-002 20141002

Anybody know how/if WO1s experience hand on stuff like IHADS or flying with tandem rotors, before selection?

I imagine the Army has found a lot of different ways to work a 60. I've heard so many positive things about the Hawk. Anyone have some criticism for the 60?

For what it's worth, the Army looks like it may be slowing down in UH-60M acquisitions and investing cash money to upgrade the UH-60L models into modernized, Mike-esque cockpits.

They've been demoing stuff like crazy at the last AAAA meeting and apparently there are already units fielding the UH-60L "digital cockpit." Oddly enough, some of the capabilities of the UH-60L digital cockpit are going to exceed that of the 'modernized' M model (e.g. RAIM/IFR certified GPS). I'm not sure if they're going to retrofit the Limas with collective trim to create a fully coupled flight director, but either way, it's an interesting proposition if it comes to fruition.

Here's an article: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2014-01-15/engine-cockpit-upgrades-are-top-us-army-priorities

Here's a video:

• Like 1