YAWN - Anyone else agree?

MileHi480B

I love helicopters and I love discussing them ... but for the past several months this forum seems to have the excitement of an old movie playing over and over and over and over and over ...

The plot line of that movie?

WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school, WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school, WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school, WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school, WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school, WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school, WOFT, building time, R22's, R44's, boring jobs, picking a school,

I use to like reading about other peoples flights, but ya don't see much of that anymore.

Better add "Fudging the Logbook" just to be sure you cover them all.

And yes, I agree. Might have to check out Justhelicopters and see if the arguments and slandering are at least a little more entertaining. Even the Experienced mentor pilots barely post anymore, probably because threads never stay on topic and everyone that posts seems to have an argument coming at them. :rolleyes:

I can deal with the yawning of another episode of As the VR turns.

It's the occasional posts relaying info that a fellow rotrhd or mentor is gone that bothers me.

Then discuss….

How about;

What was your most memorable flight?

As a pro, have you ever been scared while flying?

Do you think the Fed’s would have a careless and reckless case if anything happened while operating within the HV curve?

For those of you nearing the end of your career, are you looking forward to it?

What do you do if you love your job but hate your chief pilot?

If the PIC and SIC are women, is fair to call the cockpit a box-office?

As a pro-pilot and you won $15M in the lotto, would you buy a helicopter and fly it yourself?

If you purposely fly into a cloud, can it still be defined as inadvertent IMC?

If you are a current and proficient SPIFR PIC flying an IFR certified machine and you go IIMC, is it considered an emergency?

What is a good CFI?

As a current pro or upcoming pro, where do you feel you need to be in order to consider yourself successful?

How many friends have you lost in this business?

• Like 2

Then discuss….

How about;

No single flight stands out.

Not scared, but nervous. When vis gets down to 1/2 mile things start to get hairy. Also, any time I'm above 1,000 feet AGL I get scared. Haha!

Do you think the Fed’s would have a careless and reckless case if anything happened while operating within the HV curve?

No, unless you were operating in the curve without mitigating the risks associated with being in it. For instance, if you were hovering over your buddies house waiting for him to come outside then yeah, the might have a case.

Not even close to the end.

Suck it up. Personality differences suck but if he's not directly affecting your flying there's no reason to do anything irrational. Now, if you have a valid reason for a complaint start looking for other work and bring up your discontent higher up in the food chain. If things go south you will at least have options.

Pussypit.

As a pro-pilot and you won $15M in the lotto, would you buy a helicopter and fly it yourself?

A f*ckin right I would!

Nope, just defined as stupid.

If you are a current and proficient SPIFR PIC flying an IFR certified machine and you go IIMC, is it considered an emergency?

Yes.

What is a good CFI?

A good CFI is a good teacher. Just being a good stick doesn't mean you make a good instructor. You need to be able to be creative in your teaching to accommodate different learning styles. A good CFI will inspire and motive students and instill the discipline necessary to produce aviators with the ability to make good decisions in the aircraft. They will go beyond teaching to a standard and strive to fill in the gaps.

As a current pro or upcoming pro, where do you feel you need to be in order to consider yourself successful?

I am in the best spot I could be right now. The one thing I could improve on is education and pursuing a college degree.

Came very close to losing a couple today. There is only one person I know that has died so far, and they were a very loose acquaintance of mine. It still really sucked to hear, though.

Mountain flying sounds good to me. I've done a little of it so far and it's a blast. I'm more interested in autos though since there what I'm working on.

There's going to be a mountain flying seminar in Tahoe at the end of the month, if you're interested.

Or you guys can just help me choose a headset lol..that would be exciting right? I havent found any threads on this yet - but then again maybe I havent looked in the right places.

If you're just starting out, any passive David Clark will serve you well. If you have the dough, the Lightspeed Zulu is awesome! Its just as good as a Bose (I've used both) but you'll get to use your cell phone and ipod through it for less money!

Then discuss….

How about;

Chasing rabbits around a (seemingly) endless field of poppies on a beautiful spring California day. I'm not joking, this happened.

As a pro, not yet, I have been pretty nervous at times though. As a student I have definitely had a few "oh sh!t" moments though.

Depends on whether or not you needed to be there.

N/A

N/A

Just don't get caught saying it by a woman.

I would start my own business.

Intentional IMC.

That depends on the pilots level of proficiency, skill, and cool-headedness.

What is a good CFI?

One that embodies professionalism, always sets a good example, promotes aviation through a positive attitude, and goes above and beyond to make sure their students have all of the training and insight and attitude that they need to pave the way for a successful flying career.

This is too subjective to be quantified. Personally, I feel successful for my current experience level. I am a relatively new CFI and I get to use it. I have also gotten the opportunity to do some commercial operations that few pilots of my experience level get the opportunity to do. I am satisfied with what I am doing and where I am working and positive about my future career with absolutely zero regrets.

Actual friends, like, people I was close to? 3.

On the military side? Rhonald Meeks (June 2006) and Nick Mueller (Oct 2009). NSDQ.

On the civilian side? Rob Cable in a Cessna Travelair crash (fixed wing I know, but it is still aviation).

The rest were just very loose acquaintences.

Fresh air at last! The VR forums had really gotten stale.

Then discuss….

How about;

There have been many, but my first flight in the R22 was with my newly rated husband and we landed at the LAX helipad. He pushed that puppy all the way home, and I remember the airspeed indicator being near red line all way home, but he was soooo happy! Took lots of pictures. Decided I should get a lesson.

When my husband is PIC I'm always scared. That's why I became a pilot.

I'm a GA pilot. The Feds will call it "pilot error" no matter what happens.

I fly for fun. No regrets. I am the customer that Frank Robinson was thinking of when he designed the R22.

I fly with my husband. It's not a job, it's a adventure.

There are only 2 good seats in any aircraft. Call them whatever you like.

Is that a trick question?

Ahhhh, how times have changed. Stupid is still stupid, but now we train pilots to think like the FAA.

If you say so.

What is a good CFI?

One who cares about the student, produces good pilots, maintains their own proficiency, keeps learning, and loves what they do.

At this point I my life it is unlikely that I will ever be paid to fly a helicopter....but hope springs eternal! I help and encourage younger pilots to pursue their goals, and their success is my joy and reward.

Only one. Doing what she loved.

Edited by Little Red 22
  • Like 1

Then discuss….

How about;

What is a good CFI?

Most memorable flight. This brings to mind a thread I started a while back...

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/15384-recapturing-the-excitement/

I wish some who didn't get a chance to reply to this topic would take the opportunity. I loved the comments few as they were, I was hoping to hear a lot more wonderful recountings.

Do you think the Feds would have a careless and reckless case if anything happened while operating within the HV curve?

"No, unless you were operating in the curve without mitigating the risks associated with being in it. For instance, if you were hovering over your buddies house waiting for him to come outside then yeah, they might have a case."

"Depends on whether or not you needed to be there."

"No" is pretty black and white answer but the "unless" hauls it back into the gray and IMO accurate. Plus, how do we define "needed to be there"?

Attached. Old but relevant.

HVC Legal.pdf

Edited by Spike

Plus, how do we define "needed to be there"?

I meant that sometimes helicopter pilots have no choice but to operate in the curve. Like long lining. Performing live line maintenance on power lines, drying cherries, etc. I don't think the FAA would hold the pilot responsible like they did the pilot in your example article. Now, if I was hovering over the beach checking out the pretty girls in bikinis, and the engine quits, I think I might need to get a lawyer.

I could be wrong about this, but if every pilot who ever crashed while doing work in a helicopter while operating in the HV curve got sued or got his license revoked, no one would do it!

That, at least, is my train of thought. I will let the expert opinion sit with the experts.