2 Days Until Sequester...

http://defensetech.org/2013/02/19/sequestration-threatens-fatigued-helicopter-fleet/

I hope that recent selectees (if we even get to attend WOCS) will be given the option to transfer to another warrant MOS if there are no pilot slots available.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/26/republicans-accuse-obama-using-military-as-prop/

It doesn't even really seem like either side is going to negotiate. Last December most of the articles out mentioned last minute meetings. This time it's nothing but a blame game. MSNBC and CNN have similar articles for those of you that don't read Fox.

Yup, last quote we got from the IPs here at Rucker is over a million bucks per student. I don't know if that only goes up to BWS since I would assume the price for 14 weeks of Blackhawks is different from 21 weeks of Apache.

And as for Street to Seaters, you're not really a W-1 until MOS qualified and from what I understand, you just get separated from the Army altogether. The only ones I've heard who get to try for a Tech Warrant job if they don't make it through flight school for one reason or another are former enlisted NCOs who qualify to go to that Tech School for their previous MOS. And I think I've only heard one story about that.

The questions I have...

1. What does this mean for street to seat applicants who are being boarded during FY13 (as in the 11-15 Mar board)

2. What does this mean for us if we get in?

3. What does this mean for our MOS security in the army?

I guess I am uneducated and a bit confused by all the information going around about the cuts. Thanks in advance.

We can start with cutting the F-35. The cost of merely building one F-35 could train 300 helicopter pilots (as in three-hundred). Which do you think is more useful to the military?

Then we can move on to the many other unnecessary and slightly ridiculous spending sprees that Congress nearly forces on the military.

• Like 1

Plenty of tugs that need Warrant Officers to drive them! I always thought that would be a cool job. I wonder if they worry about getting enough boat hours???

As much as I laughed at this, I am sure that they have equal struggles given the cost of fuel which, if you've owned a boat, you know is not cheap.

The most truthful answer to your questions is "who knows?"

But if people were to pontificate on it here are my SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess)

1. Less money all around = less slots = tougher selection process. That being said, some parts of flight school are already paid for by the government per the contract with the civilian contractors (no matter how many students they get, whether it's 4 or 44, they get paid). Definitely though, selection standards/minimum requirements will increase. How soon? Don't know. For example, the age cut-off is one thing people keep guessing on whether it's going back down from 33 to 29 or 27.

2. Once you're in, you're in. There's a standard that flight school has to meet as per the syllabus. But shenanigans won't be tolerated as much and when people mess up and drop rates may go up (as opposed to people getting pushed through the pipeline).

3. MOS security is definitely the biggest issue here. As the Army transitions to a smaller size, they are going to shed pilots like crazy. Promotion rates from CW-2 (2yrs at WO-1 and 6yrs until eligible for CW-3) to CW-3 is pretty low, the last time I spoke to a CW-3/4. That means, you have one more look and if you're still not picked up for CW-3, you're out in six months.

Another thing to think about: combat deployments are coming to a close so your flight hours will be a lot less than the aviators that were in during last ten years. So, your marketability in the civilian helicopter pilot world may not be as good. I don't have any experience in the civilian side but I think others in this forum can give a more accurate description of the job market.

I hope this helps more than confuses.

• Like 2

Then we can move on to the many other unnecessary and slightly ridiculous spending sprees that Congress nearly forces on the military.

*cough*like how the Army spent $5Bil on the ONE digital pattern that didn't really work as opposed to the Marines being able to come up with two patterns and Cayote Brown base color that work pretty well for just $300k*cough*

http://www.military....e-uniforms.html

2. Once you're in, you're in.

If you know that for a fact then many of us would greatly appreciate it if you expanded upon that. Those of us that have heard the current contingency scenarios through second hand sidebars perhaps most of all...

At what point are you considering someone to be "in?" Logging time in IERW, certainly, meets your other criteria.

EDIT: Disregard, I just saw your disclaimer.

"Once you're in" I'm thinking, once you've been selected to come to basic training, you're in the pipeline. You already have money allotted to your SSN for training. Unless something causes a student to be disqualified from the flight program, once you sign your contract and have a ship out date, you're pretty much safe. Now, could there be exceptions, probably.

Let me try to put it another way. Why put together a board, select candidates and have them sign a contract if they're not going to go through flight school. There will be less flight school students, yes. But I think that would be achieved by limiting how many are FQ-S on future boards.

Lastly, like I said at the top of the post, it was a "best guess if I had to make one."

• Like 1

Yeah sorry I saw your disclaimer after I posted.

Your interpretation is my interpretation...Though not necessarily the only one floating around.

Thanks DOD for not really planning for this eventuality that has been on the horizon for four months. Now, everyone is scrambling and there is more nonsense flying around than over at the Duffel Blog.

We can start with cutting the F-35. The cost of merely building one F-35 could train 300 helicopter pilots (as in three-hundred). Which do you think is more useful to the military?

I'll bet Lockheed-Martin swings a bigger cat in congress than 300 Army aviators ever would.

• Like 2

Everyone just needs to prepare their backside for the big green weenie.

Its coming.

Remember this: the military can and will get around any "contract" you may have with them. Think you are safe because of FAC1 hour requirements? They will just get Rucker to lower the number.

We are simply numbers and meat for the grinder.

• Like 2

Everyone just needs to prepare their backside for the big green weenie.

Its coming.

Remember this: the military can and will get around any "contract" you may have with them. Think you are safe because of FAC1 hour requirements? They will just get Rucker to lower the number.

We are simply numbers and meat for the grinder.

Yes and No. We're not talking contract like the "contract" you enter into with your Commander on a 7120. We're talking about a contract as in the contract with URS. It has to be scaled back before it's terminated and there are specific provisions for that.

Edit: I agree with your opening statement 100%, however.