Post-WOCS/Pre-IERW...Any questions?

I would have to assume that the CFII turned warrant aviator would naturally chose to be an IP at rucker

amirite?

LOTS of time between now and then but I'd like to go to Campbell for my first duty station if its available. Besides, ya gotta make PC and track before you can be an IP at Rucker!

And don't give me too much credit, I'm a mere CFI. I hold no instrument rating.

Depends, there are IP's everywhere. Not every IP wants to teach Lt's and W01's on how to fly.

Hawaii is cool but it depends what you want, coming out of flight school I wanted Campbell, they have real world missions and will do things after the wars wind down. Most guys who want to deploy do Campbell or Bragg.

• Like 1

Yep, basically. All of the above and then some. Heard great things about the 101st CAB, supposedly it's a Quick Reaction Force (or rapid deploy...can't remember the term) if something happens, AIR ASSAULT (which I would love to do), Nashville is close, cheap area to live in, 160th birds around, and some other stuff which I can't remember.

10th Mountain??? Ha yah I'm sure Col Francis is awesome to work for.... NOT!

Which really is the important thing, command it means everything. Command climate is the difference between having a great time as a pilot or being miserable. Doesn't matter what duty station you go to having a good command with good leadership and good mentorship is very important.

Choosing your duty station based off of location is great, you family will be happy but you may not be happy in your job. For example a lot of people want to do this new CAB in Colorado. From what I have hard it isn't the greatest place to be stationed, and the command is just getting stood up. If something goes down in the world, Colorado isn't going anywhere. It will be 101, 82nd or 160th. The same could be said about a bunch of the CAB's out there, Ft lewis, Riley, Bliss, Drum all great places, i guess... but when the DOD picks the next deploying CAB it will probably be 101.

Also, If I could recommend a mission set for 60's, I would not go medevac. Not that the mission isn't amazing, because it is and it's very rewarding. The flight hours just aren't there, it is much harder to make PC in a unit that doesn't fly very often and has little to no mission planning for it's primary mission

The CW3 board also just came out a few days ago and A lot of my friends I went to WOCs with that were medevac didn't make the cut. Not all of them were passed over but their hours are about a quarter to a half of what I received in a assault battalion. This means they made PC later, track later and don't become a key player in the company until later. I agree there are exceptions and i'm not bashing Med but the company is more suited for CW3's and above not guys fresh out of Rucker

Assault or VIP is the way to go out of flight school for the 60's. This is just my opinion though.. good luck with your duty station

• Like 1

Stateside assigments for 64s are usually Savannah (great area that would exist without the army and separated from the division flagpole by 45 minutes), Carson (Colorado Springs), Lewis, and Campbell, Bragg. Not high on the list are Bliss, Hood, Riley, and Drum.

GRF (Global Response Force) moves from post to post, everyone gets their chance.

Drum gets such a bad rap but I like it here. The airfield is great and the surrounding area is somewhat untouched by the typical military cancer. There is some growth due to the base but for the most part the surrounding area has a a rural small town feel (excluding Watertown, which you can completely avoid if you want to). Lots of really cool places to go that are just a couple hours away. I think the biggest complaints come from those who don't enjoy winter. Personally I love the cold weather so it's a good fit. Summers are absolutely beautiful.

Edited by SBuzzkill

I know that it is primarily up to your TACs, but should I worry about having sexy boots, ie, Nikes, C4Ts, etc at WOCS? I have one pair of Danners that are fine, just don't want to have to live in them. The issue boots tear me up, and I was going to buy a new set of light weights, just don't want to waste my money if they are not generally accepted.

Thx

One thing to consider is that most of those cool boots are not flight approved so I wouldn't go overboard. It will be nice to have them for SERE school though. Actually, I'd say a comfortable set of boots is worth buying even if you will only use them for the 3 weeks you are there.